Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n00b to car audio, help please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question n00b to car audio, help please!

I have a stock 2008 G35x with Bose sound and no nav. I am looking to add an amp / sub and want clean deep bass but I'm not looking for something that's bone rattling. I have read a few DIY on how to go about doing the work of installing the system but with little background in the car audio world and the wide range of conflicting info, I was hoping to get some opinions / advice.
  1. I'd like to keep the project price down as much as possible. I'm willing to pay for quality though
  2. I'm not looking for comp quality or to impress people, I just want a nice deep bass that the stock bose system isn't giving me.
  3. Idk what sub size is right, plus 1 or 2 subs?
  4. what kind of power is sufficient?
  5. what gauge wiring should I be using?
  6. Is my alternator going to suffice? (I heard the non nav version has a smaller alternator)

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give or even if someone points me in the right direction, I will do the research but am just a little lost. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets see...ive got a 12inch sub in the trunk and a 1200 watt amp,dont forget to unplug the stock sub from infiniti.....changed the head unit to alpine and im good to go!!! My car wont keep up with the bumps comin outta an impala on crenshaw blvd but it sounds pretty dang good!!! P.S. dont worry about your alternater it will be fine....i have my sound system and a new bright white headlight kit installed and everythings fine.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by BluIDvl
Lets see...ive got a 12inch sub in the trunk and a 1200 watt amp,dont forget to unplug the stock sub from infiniti.....changed the head unit to alpine and im good to go!!! My car wont keep up with the bumps comin outta an impala on crenshaw blvd but it sounds pretty dang good!!! P.S. dont worry about your alternater it will be fine....i have my sound system and a new bright white headlight kit installed and everythings fine.
what kind of sub and amp did you get?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 AM
I have a alpine head, old school sony explode amp, and a kicker dual voice coil sub....

Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 AM
I have a alpine head, old school sony explode amp, and a kicker dual voice coil sub....

Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 AM
tx BlulDvl

Old 08-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Your welcome.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Technically, you'd be better off in the 2007+ V36 A/V forums, but where this doesn't really pertain to the year of the vehicle, I'll let it slide. Just remember you can't really replace your headunit. You can get creative and add a second headunit though. A quality single-din could be placed in the glovebox or center console with some custom work.

If you're just looking to bolster the stock audio system with some bass, not to attract thieving crackheads to your vehicle, you do not need much.

If you want clean audio at all, you'll need to pull the signal from the headunit, not after the bose amplifier. The bose amplifier introduces heavy equalization to help make up for its lack of power, especially in the bass department. Now this is a bit of a problem, since the bose headunit outputs a balanced audio signal, rather than the unbalanced audio signal which most amplifiers are built to receive. The easiest amps to get your hands on that do accept balanced audio signals are JL Audio amplifiers.

For the quantity part, a well-powered 8" is enough to fill the car, and won't overpower the stock speakers, since these cars are more properly sealed than a 95 civic hatchback, so they keep the sound inside quite well. 10" will give you all you'd want, but has the potential to overpower the stock audio if tuned improperly. 12" properly powered can easily outdo the stock audio system (but tuned right, will be fine).

So where you seem to just want a little more than the stock system provides, a 300w JL amplifier, to power a single 10" subwoofer, (Sundown SA-10s are great for quality if you can get your hands on them) in a sealed box would probably give you plenty to work with. 4 gauge power wire will be fine for such a setup.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:45 AM
I only realized I was in the wrong section after I posted it, but I left it anyway to see what input I'd get. I don't plan on changing the HU, it's fine for my needs. As far as the amp, all the DIY's say to bypass it so I had that in mind. Good heads up on the amp that takes a balanced audio signal, I hadn't really thought of that.

Tx for the advice

Old 08-25-2012, 01:22 AM
anyone else with thoughts? I had a g37 owner suggest going with dual 10's and taking the signal from the bose amp

Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Have you read this thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-aud...-170-pics.html

Basically, if you tap after the amp, you're entirely at its mercy for EQ settings. Since the bose system cuts down the level on the bass as volume goes up, it's going to be disproportionate to the rest of the volume.