Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

rear view camera problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rear view camera problems

Hey guys,

Im posting up to see what you guys think or have any input on my situation. I installed a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH double din deck and also a CMOS rear view camera.

Here's where where my question comes in. when i drive or just have the deck playing music, it goes to the rear camera randomly but its not even in reverse. I installed the camera to the reverse lamp so it does get power and ran a wire to the deck so that it knows when the camera is working. When in reverse it does show on the screen but when im off it just goes black.

I was wondering if you guys know if my deck is suppose see the camera when i put it in reverse, then when I go back into gear or neutral is it suppose to go back to regular screen or menu?

please let me know if you guys solved this problem. This is irritating that it keep randomly going blank on me and i have to touch the screen to go back.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Does it actually say it's in rear view, or is the headunit just going to a black screen?

Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Does it actually say it's in rear view, or is the headunit just going to a black screen?
It's in reverse camera mode because it has the little disclaimer about the objects on screen may appear reversed.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Some how the deck is being told to go into reverse mode even when the gear is in neutral. After the deck is powered up the menu screen will show and after 5 seconds it will go into reverse mode. Did i wire something wrong? The reverse camera gets power from the reverse light so when the deck goes into reverse mode while in neutral the screen is just black. Soon as I put the gear into reverse the camera is powered and the rear image is displayed on my deck. If i touch the screen, the menu comes back but after 5 seconds it goes right back to the black reverse mode screen.

I just turned the rear camera off in the decks settings for now. I really want to get this camera to come on automatically only when in reverse. >_<

Old 08-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

The reverse camera is getting its power from the reverse light power, right? Is the trigger wire for the backup camera mode connected to the same wire?

If so, try disconnecting just the trigger wire for the reverse video mode, if it's not connected to anything and the problem persists, your headunit may be malfunctioning.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:34 AM
The reverse camera is getting its power from the reverse light power, right? Is the trigger wire for the backup camera mode connected to the same wire?

If so, try disconnecting just the trigger wire for the reverse video mode, if it's not connected to anything and the problem persists, your headunit may be malfunctioning.
Correct. Reverse camera is powered from reverse light (pink wire positive, body ground)

Not sure. The trigger wire to the head unit I tapped was orange in color and was located on the driver side kick panel. I made sure that the wire only had power while in reverse.

I tried disconnecting the trigger wire and the head unit still went into reverse mode 5 seconds after powering up. I do believe the head unit is malfunctioning.

Is there a camera setting I am missing? I could only find the setting that turns the camera on or off and it is off at the moment so camera never comes on. >_<

Should I contact Amazon and see if they can send me a new head unit?

Much Mahalo

Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by TAHOT
Correct. Reverse camera is powered from reverse light (pink wire positive, body ground)

Not sure. The trigger wire to the head unit I tapped was orange in color and was located on the driver side kick panel. I made sure that the wire only had power while in reverse.

I tried disconnecting the trigger wire and the head unit still went into reverse mode 5 seconds after powering up. I do believe the head unit is malfunctioning.

Is there a camera setting I am missing? I could only find the setting that turns the camera on or off and it is off at the moment so camera never comes on. >_<

Should I contact Amazon and see if they can send me a new head unit?

Much Mahalo
Ok, so one last thing to try... The owner's manual.
Go to the system menu, check the CAMERA POLARITY in the system menu - it should be set to BATTERY.

If it is set to battery and is still going to the rearview when the wire's disconnected, I'd almost certainly say it's a defective unit, unless you wire something up strange in the harness for a bypass or something like that.

The following users liked this post:
G35Creedmoor (09-08-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Go to the system menu, check the CAMERA POLARITY in the system menu - it should be set to BATTERY.

If it is set to battery and is still going to the rearview when the wire's disconnected, I'd almost certainly say it's a defective unit, unless you wire something up strange in the harness for a bypass or something like that.
It must be a defective head unit. I tried what you suggested but still malfunctioning. I will try get this exchanged with Amazon.

Mahalo for all your help.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Sucks to do that work to have a defective unit, but at least the next time will go much faster.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:31 AM
The unit was not defective and it was stupid of me not to quadruple check. firstly, the trigger wire was not connected, the insulation was not pierced by the clip. secondly, the camera mode must be turned to the off mode so that it will only activate when shifted into reverse. I had the camera mode to on and therefore the unit always went into blank camera screen. hope this helps others.

G35Creedmoor (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by TAHOT
The unit was not defective and it was stupid of me not to quadruple check. firstly, the trigger wire was not connected, the insulation was not pierced by the clip. secondly, the camera mode must be turned to the off mode so that it will only activate when shifted into reverse. I had the camera mode to on and therefore the unit always went into blank camera screen. hope this helps others.
Ah, yeah, that's why soldering is always the preferred method of joining wires.

Glad you have it worked out though.

TAHOT (09-07-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This worked for me! It's just what I needed. Thanks so much!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 PM
I had my 8400BH installed today, however the backup camera is not showing a video when i put it in reverse. It just says the message that the image may appear reversed on a black screen. The camera has power but the camera isn't potraying video....any thoughts on what this could be? My installer and I are stumped and he's calling pioneer tomorrow to see if it is something else?

Old 09-11-2016, 01:50 PM
No video

I am also having a "black screen" issue. I have rewired and triple checked all connections. I am stumped