Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Rattle quick fixes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2012 | 11:38 PM
|
Rattle quick fixes

As i'm sure we are all aware, our cars rattle. It's a fact of life, and one of the burdens we bear as G owners. This has become much more apparent to me post-install of my amp/subs. The next step is obvious, sound deadening. However, it's not exactly something I'm prepared to pay for at this exact moment, so I come to my more seasoned G owners for advice. Does anyone know of any quick fixes or DIY solutions that one on a budget could utilize to minimize the awful rattle coming from the rear of my car? Yes, dynamat (or equivalent) is in my future. Just looking for little things I can do to cut back on rattle while I wait for a better time to do it.

Forgive me if this has been discussed, search yeilded nothing useful for me.

Any and all input appreciated.

Old 09-22-2012 | 09:59 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Get some fleece/felt tape and make sure there's no plastic-on-plastic contact in the door skins or on the rear deck.

Shove (clean!) socks in the rear deck to help stiffen it and absorb noise.

The following users liked this post:
G3531 (10-10-2012)
Old 09-22-2012 | 11:22 AM
|
Thanks, Wrathernaut.
I really don't think that the doors are the issue, it's coming from the rear deck/trunk area. I'll try the sock technique, but how would you advise getting them up there? Through the trunk? Or would I have to figure out how to remove the rear deck lid completely?

Old 09-22-2012 | 11:46 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Premier Member
Yeah, you can shove them in through the trunk. Removing the rear deck trim is a bit of a hassle.

Old 09-22-2012 | 11:58 AM
|
Seems to be. I'm going to go try that now, I'll let you know how it works.

Old 09-22-2012 | 01:16 PM
|
Crammed as much cloth as I could possibly get in there, and I suppose that the rattle decreased marginally.

Any other problem items that can be persuaded to stfu?

Also, while gathering quotes for sound deadening, I realized that I really have no idea what I SHOULD be paying for this. Any input, gents? SoCal area.

Old 09-22-2012 | 01:36 PM
first isolate rattle noise location and buy fleece/felt tape and make sure there's no plastic-on-plastic or metal to metal contact - really simple will cost you practically no more than $20.

Old 09-22-2012 | 02:21 PM
|
Yeah, that's what I was figuring i'd have to do, as recommended by Wrathernaut. I'm just unsure as to specifically where around the rear deck lid area the rattle was coming from. Didn't want to just tear into it without a target area, you know?

Old 09-22-2012 | 02:32 PM
I'm running the stock Bose, and even with that it caused tons of rattles with my choice in music. I took apart my entire interior, over the course of a month and used adhesive foam and adhesive weather stripping (bought it at Home Depot for less than $10) and went to work. I do plan on sound deadening in the near future (DIY, I don't trust anyone), as I'm nearing the end of my performance modding and heading towards a comfort/luxury modding. This however, yielded fantastic results for what it was. During a lot of bass heavy portions of songs, the rattles that normally came from the rear parcel shelf and the door panels were gone. This is a budget option and in no way provides the quality sound deadening of a real product. But it's an option, lmk if you have any more questions.

Edit: the rear shelf has a TON of contact points with the physical metal shelf. These are hard plastic on metal points that cause so many rattles, Even with the Bose like I said prior, that I took it out and layered it with foam. I'm pretty sure that's where a lot of your woes are coming from. Also, the liner in the trunk is the exact same thing. I foamed all that down as well. Those two things in combination provided the majority of the rattle reduction I was looking for.

Last edited by Footballmania32; 09-22-2012 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wrathernaut (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012 | 02:38 PM
Good ideas. Now I'm curious to try..

Old 09-22-2012 | 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by jninja26
Good ideas. Now I'm curious to try..
From a rattle standpoint, you will love the outcomes. I can't wait to truly sound deaden.

Old 09-22-2012 | 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
From a rattle standpoint, you will love the outcomes. I can't wait to truly sound deaden.
I had a vehicle professionally Dynomatted years ago. Sounded great, but I'm not willing to spend the money for that right now. Also I hear dynomat is not the best for the money now a days (don't know if it was back then either ).

Old 09-22-2012 | 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by jninja26
I had a vehicle professionally Dynomatted years ago. Sounded great, but I'm not willing to spend the money for that right now. Also I hear dynomat is not the best for the money now a days (don't know if it was back then either ).
It is expensive. I personally won't use Dynamat. I've been researching aome other brands that seem to have better performance, lower cost, and a bit easier installation. I'm going to install it myself to save some money, and to know its done right. people always seem to mess up the small things no matter how great they are. For example, I just had my spoiler repainted at a nice shop, and they scratched/tore my driver side window tint. Attention to detail is a big deal to me.

Old 09-22-2012 | 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
..Attention to detail is a big deal to me.
I heard dat Skeeter!

Old 09-22-2012 | 05:27 PM
|
Well Footballmania,
It appears that you have confirmed my suspicions. This shall be quite the task. I will likely be in touch with you via pm if you wouldn't mind offering a little experience oriented advice. Today I rest, tomorrow off to the hardware store. Maybe i'll grab a heat gun and shave my rear emblems while i'm at it.

Last edited by G3531; 09-22-2012 at 07:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattle quick fixes