Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
Any cheaper then these lol

Old 12-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I have a 05X with satelite radio has on the front mp3 .how do l hook it up? Radio plays and sounds great!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by b-dRizZy
Any cheaper then these lol
Wired FM modulator is about half that price, but requires removal of the radio to get to the back of it to install, rather than just plugging in at the trunk harness.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Gman56
I have a 05X with satelite radio has on the front mp3 .how do l hook it up? Radio plays and sounds great!
It plays CDs with MP3 files on it, so you burn your MP3s to a disc and it plays them like audio tracks.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
But does the base model g have a harness in the trunk also ?
theres no bose stereo on those..

Sorry Iam going to install one for my girl so need as much info so I can be direct once I buy one and the exact one lol

thanks

Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by b-dRizZy
But does the base model g have a harness in the trunk also ?
theres no bose stereo on those..

Sorry Iam going to install one for my girl so need as much info so I can be direct once I buy one and the exact one lol

thanks
05+, yes, regardless of trim.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Any of the adapters with 3.5mm or RCAs auxiliary jacks mentioned will work with an android phone, standalone mp3 player, cassette deck, 8-track player or anything else with an analog audio output, but there is nothing that will let you use the factory headunit controls or display in conjunction with it. All audio controls (with the exception of volume) must be done on the android phone or other audio device.
Is this still true for Android phones?
Anyone have a used PA15-inf for sale?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yes, there is no control via an analog audio input.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any of the adapters with 3.5mm or RCAs auxiliary jacks mentioned will work with an android phone, standalone mp3 player, cassette deck, 8-track player or anything else with an analog audio output, but there is nothing that will let you use the factory headunit controls or display in conjunction with it. All audio controls (with the exception of volume) must be done on the android phone or other audio device.
Originally Posted by COBRA ESQ
Is this still true for Android phones?
Anyone have a used PA15-inf for sale?
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Yes, there is no control via an analog audio input.
My question was not clear. Is there still no unit on the market for the Android that provides full functions like the PA15-infi does for Apple?

Old 12-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by COBRA ESQ
My question was not clear. Is there still no unit on the market for the Android that provides full functions like the PA15-infi does for Apple?
Units that use bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 and above allow basic control - pause/skip -, but that's all you'll get with an adapter like that. Replacement headunits let you control more via MirrorLink or other software/hardware pairings, but that's it.

I'd love to see somebody step up to the plate and make something like the PA15 for android that controls via the 3.5mm jack the same way that headphones with built-in controls do.

Somebody with some basic electronic engineering could easily make a box to translate the output from the steering wheel control wires to do it, which is why I'm surprised PAC or USASPEC hasn't done it yet.

The following users liked this post:
COBRA ESQ (12-30-2014)
Old 01-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grom NIS02A1

I have a 2006 coupe (Bose) and wanted a 3.5mm jack in the cabin to plug into my Android mobile without taking apart the dash. I checked for the unused SAT connector in the truck and thought I'd found it (see photos) so I sent an email to Grom asking if the NIS02A1 could be plugged into this SAT connector in the truck. They said "it can be done but it won't be a plug and play solution". Unsure if that simply meant that I'd have to string the audio cable from the trunk to the cabin, but having read about the unit in this thread, I went ahead and ordered it (for $90 plus $26 shipping, ouch). When I went to install it today I found that the connector in the trunk (10 pins wide) doesn't fit the Grom connector (8 pins wide). I moved the Bluetooth module on top of the amp to check the connectors at the back of the Bose amp and there's nothing the right size that I can use there either.

So it looks like the NIS02A1 doesn't work in the trunk? I really don't want to take apart the dashboard (to avoid damage and any annoying buzzing that results from improper re-installation) and now I'm not sure if the connector I'm looking at in the trunk is in fact the SAT connector, or I'd go ahead and try hard wiring an audio cable (i.e. Option B). Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Attached Thumbnails How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio-img_20150110_144428115_resize.jpg   How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio-img_20141220_150414331_hdr_resize.jpg   How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio-img_20141220_150534518_resize.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by jwiebe
I have a 2006 coupe (Bose) and wanted a 3.5mm jack in the cabin to plug into my Android mobile without taking apart the dash. I checked for the unused SAT connector in the truck and thought I'd found it (see photos) so I sent an email to Grom asking if the NIS02A1 could be plugged into this SAT connector in the truck. They said "it can be done but it won't be a plug and play solution". Unsure if that simply meant that I'd have to string the audio cable from the trunk to the cabin, but having read about the unit in this thread, I went ahead and ordered it (for $90 plus $26 shipping, ouch). When I went to install it today I found that the connector in the trunk (10 pins wide) doesn't fit the Grom connector (8 pins wide). I moved the Bluetooth module on top of the amp to check the connectors at the back of the Bose amp and there's nothing the right size that I can use there either.

So it looks like the NIS02A1 doesn't work in the trunk? I really don't want to take apart the dashboard (to avoid damage and any annoying buzzing that results from improper re-installation) and now I'm not sure if the connector I'm looking at in the trunk is in fact the SAT connector, or I'd go ahead and try hard wiring an audio cable (i.e. Option B). Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

It takes about 30min to get the radio out your first time in an 06 (guide/video can be found here). That's going to take less time than trying to decipher which wires you need to splice together to get it to work at the trunk har ness/adapter. You're probably going to want to take off half of the items you need to remove the radio in order to put the 3.5mm male plug to an accessible location, either in the compartment above the radio, the glove box, or the center armrest compartment anyway, so you might as well attach it to the back of the radio where it's supposed to be.

You do need the satellite adapter to remain connected for "option B", but it's cheap & fairly easy.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post. It took trying to solve a problem to find this forum. Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread, it's been a great read. I have a problem that I'm surprised I can't find anyone talking about here or elsewhere.

I have a 2007 G35x Sedan with factory Sat & Nav. I'm having a Viper SmartStart installed and asked them to install a Grom NIS02U3 USB3. They said the Grom nor any of their other options will work 2007 G35 Sedan with factory nav, coupe yes, no nav, yes, but not a coupe with nav. After doing more research myself, I realized that he was correct that all the options I've found here and elsewhere say NO NAV. Very disheartening.

So..... does anyone know if this is true or why? Or is it possible that it will work but won't have all the features?

I've been using the built-in RCA plugs, but as some know, it's very noisy if plugged into the charger at the same time. Having steering control and a read out on the the display would be great of course, but I would be happy just to get rid of the noise.

Thanks in advance, all.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:22 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

This pretty much exact question was just asked today. The answer is here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post6967355

As for noise when charging - if your charger is inducing that much noise, get a better one.

The following users liked this post:
Garnoch (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This pretty much exact question was just asked today. The answer is here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post6967355

As for noise when charging - if your charger is inducing that much noise, get a better one.
Asked today, how funny. I can't even count how much time I've spent on this haha. Thank you for the info. I'd be fine with taking over the CD Changer or especially the Compact Flash input as well. So let see, I have AM, FM, XM, CD, CD Changer, Compact Flash, RCA inputs and a built-in Hard Drive but I can't take over any of them to install one of these devices in order to get USB. It makes me shake my head and laugh at this point. What a shame.

As for the charger noise, I've researched that to death too and have now purchased 4 brand name chargers. I've also connected the charger in both locations when connected to RCA. I've trying both power locations on all four chargers with Apple's 30pin to RCA cable, Apple's Thunderbolt adapter, and even totally separated the audio cable from power by using a headphone to RCA cable with a separate USB cable for power. The outcome is always the same. No power and it's dead quiet, but with power there's too much hiss for my ears. Granted, I'm a re-recording artist, so maybe it would bother someone else.

I just ordered a Kensington Auto/Air Power Inverter and we'll see how that works on the noise. If it doesn't help, I'll order an Apple Airport Express to plug into the inverter in order to add AirPlay to my car instead.

Again, thank you very much.

Last edited by Garnoch; 01-13-2015 at 12:03 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio