Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question about audio but its not 100% relevant to this thread but I have no where else to ask. The previous owner of my 05 coupe with bose installed an iphone cord there is a whole drilled through the glovebox and it leads somewhere...I tried opening it up and trying to look around but i am stuck. The cable does not work or everytime it switches to "XM ch 0001" it instantly switches to "Antenna" and I cant play music. Also sometimes it lets me play for like 3 seconds before switching back to "Antenna". Also I have to turn the music to like volume level 30 to hear it and yet it is still very quiet. I have a Stealth box in the trunk and the stock amp... Any advise on where to begin to diagnose.. my first thought was it could be a faulty cable

Old 09-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Murad_Alziq
I have a question about audio but its not 100% relevant to this thread but I have no where else to ask. The previous owner of my 05 coupe with bose installed an iphone cord there is a whole drilled through the glovebox and it leads somewhere...I tried opening it up and trying to look around but i am stuck. The cable does not work or everytime it switches to "XM ch 0001" it instantly switches to "Antenna" and I cant play music. Also sometimes it lets me play for like 3 seconds before switching back to "Antenna". Also I have to turn the music to like volume level 30 to hear it and yet it is still very quiet. I have a Stealth box in the trunk and the stock amp... Any advise on where to begin to diagnose.. my first thought was it could be a faulty cable
You'll have to disassemble it and find out what you're dealing with. It could be a loose cable, or the adapter failing.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aux input

I am looking to get a aux port for my car witch setup would be the best to go with far as sound quality. Trying to keep stock radio but still have good sounding music from aux. fm transmitters arnt cutting it. Thanks

Old 10-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Quick question will my HU work without the amp? The reason I'm asking is because my HU is working it lights up, I can switch between radio stations, CD works but I get no sound out of my speakers, so I think it's a bad amp. I was thinking about adding aux in but will I have to get a new amp in place of the Bose one? Can someone please direct me in the right direction. I would like to leave the factory HU. It's a 2004 G35 Sedan with Bose "premium" sound.

Thank you guys and girls.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by aCiDjEsUs
Quick question will my HU work without the amp? The reason I'm asking is because my HU is working it lights up, I can switch between radio stations, CD works but I get no sound out of my speakers, so I think it's a bad amp. I was thinking about adding aux in but will I have to get a new amp in place of the Bose one? Can someone please direct me in the right direction. I would like to leave the factory HU. It's a 2004 G35 Sedan with Bose "premium" sound.

Thank you guys and girls.
Yes, the headunit can continue to work. To replace the bose amp, you need an amp that can accept a differential-balanced signal. JL amps do, there are some others, but they are the only brand that all of them do.

I'd recommend just picking up a 4-channel 300w amp and amp wiring kit, and power just the front door speakers/tweeters and bridge the other two channels to power the rear deck woofer.

The following users liked this post:
aCiDjEsUs (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yes, the headunit can continue to work. To replace the bose amp, you need an amp that can accept a differential-balanced signal. JL amps do, there are some others, but they are the only brand that all of them do.

I'd recommend just picking up a 4-channel 300w amp and amp wiring kit, and power just the front door speakers/tweeters and bridge the other two channels to power the rear deck woofer.
Thank you, thank you so much Wrathernaut for quick reply! I was reading your Guide on adding aux in into my car. But I'll have to read it couple more times.

So if I add a aux in or bluetooth to the back of the HU with out a amp in the rear deck will I hear sound from my speakers? Or will I have to add aux in/bluetooth to the back plus amp in the trunk?

I disconnected the amp yesterday and took it out of the car so now I have no amp.

Sorry for all the question but I'm a such a novice in all this audio stuff.

Thank you for all your help.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Hey guys so I'm about to buy the iSimple ISNI531 adapter and I just want to confirm that if I hook up that adapter to the back of the Bose radio I should hear sound coming out of my speakers even if I got my OEM Bose amp removed from the trunk? is that correct? I don't want to shell out 80 dollars and when time comes I wont be able to use it without the amp. I just want to make sure before I hit the buy button that by connecting the adapter to the back of my Bose radio I should be able to play music from my smartphone with out the amp in the trunk? Correct? Yes? No?

Old 10-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Thank you, thank you so much Wrathernaut for quick reply! I was reading your Guide on adding aux in into my car. But I'll have to read it couple more times.

So if I add a aux in or bluetooth to the back of the HU with out a amp in the rear deck will I hear sound from my speakers? Or will I have to add aux in/bluetooth to the back plus amp in the trunk?

I disconnected the amp yesterday and took it out of the car so now I have no amp.

Sorry for all the question but I'm a such a novice in all this audio stuff.

Thank you for all your help.
You need a replacement amp to get anything out of the speakers, period.

But if you're trying to add aux/bluetooth and need a new amp, you're best off replacing the headunit. You can use the headunit's internal amp, or go with a cheaper non-JL amp.

aCiDjEsUs (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 09:17 AM
You need a replacement amp to get anything out of the speakers, period.

But if you're trying to add aux/bluetooth and need a new amp, you're best off replacing the headunit. You can use the headunit's internal amp, or go with a cheaper non-JL amp.
Thank you Wrathhernaut for explaining that to me, I'll just go with 4 new speakers and an amp and I'll connect to the amp with aux in or rca cables that should work right?

Or I can use the existing wiring just swap the speakers for the new ones?

Is there anyway you can please point me into the right direction? I'm good at following directions/orders

PS: Speakers in G35 sedan are 6 1/2? right? So any 6 1/2 should do?

Thank you.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Thank you Wrathhernaut for explaining that to me, I'll just go with 4 new speakers and an amp and I'll connect to the amp with aux in or rca cables that should work right?

Or I can use the existing wiring just swap the speakers for the new ones?

Is there anyway you can please point me into the right direction? I'm good at following directions/orders

PS: Speakers in G35 sedan are 6 1/2? right? So any 6 1/2 should do?

Thank you.
Are you planning to keep the bose headunit? If so, you need a differential-balanced amp. You won't need to run RCAs, since there's factory wiring to take advantage of.

If you replace the headunit, you can use whatever amp you want to (just about) any speakers you want. You'll need to run new RCAs to the amp, but you can splice into the factory wiring from the trunk to the speakers.

You can change the speakers regardless of the headunit. They're 6 1/2", but you'll need speaker spacers (zenclosures.com has good ones if you don't have tools to cut down MDF for yourself).

aCiDjEsUs (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Are you planning to keep the bose headunit? If so, you need a differential-balanced amp. You won't need to run RCAs, since there's factory wiring to take advantage of.

If you replace the headunit, you can use whatever amp you want to (just about) any speakers you want. You'll need to run new RCAs to the amp, but you can splice into the factory wiring from the trunk to the speakers.

You can change the speakers regardless of the headunit. They're 6 1/2", but you'll need speaker spacers (zenclosures.com has good ones if you don't have tools to cut down MDF for yourself).
O man Mr. Wrathhernaut thank you for all your help. I was thinking doing the second option, get a new amp splice into the the factory wiring from the trunk to the speakers and just bypass the HU all together and just use my phone or my tablet as my source of music etc. The only thing I'll have issues with I think is the splicing into the wires I don't know which color cable is which in the trunk If I would know which cables to splice into then I would be all set I think, is there any way you can help me with colors of the cables? I would be very very grateful to you.

I know there are two harnesses by the OEM amp one is blue and one is white, I assume the speaker wires are in the blue harness am I correct? just which cables should I splice into?

Thank you sooo much for all your help.

Arthur.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:25 PM
I found this picture, from this picture if I understand correctly I should splice into "Bose Output To Speakers" right? You can see the blue harness with the cables, are those the cables I should splice into?

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio-bose-amp-input-output.png   How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio-img_0206.jpg-original.jpeg  
Old 10-15-2015, 08:13 AM
So I got around to install my new amp, I went with Bluetooth amp so I can completely bypass the Bose HU, I spliced in to wires in the trunk, at first I spliced into the HU input wires with no luck then I spliced into Bose amp output to speakers and lord behold I have sound in my speakers.

I ordered some Kickers speakers for the front and back, will be installing them today, and maybe in a week I'll be adding one 10inch sub. Plus everything is controlled with a tablet, my music video etc. I'm just waiting for the tablet mount so I can mount the tablet somewhere in my car.

Just one question when I'll be changing the speakers will the wires + and - will be the same color as in trunks harness? or will they be different? 04 G35 Sedan with Bose "Premium" sound system.

Thank you.

Last edited by aCiDjEsUs; 10-15-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

So I got around to install my new amp, I went with Bluetooth amp so I can completely bypass the Bose HU, I spliced in to wires in the trunk, at first I spliced into the HU input wires with no luck then I spliced into Bose amp output to speakers and lord behold I have sound in my speakers.

I ordered some Kickers speakers for the front and back, will be installing them today, and maybe in a week I'll be adding one 10inch sub. Plus everything is controlled with a tablet, my music video etc. I'm just waiting for the tablet mount so I can mount the tablet somewhere in my car.

Just one question when I'll be changing the speakers will the wires + and - will be the same color as in trunks harness? or will they be different? 04 G35 Sedan with Bose "Premium" sound system.

Thank you.
Sorry, I've missed the posts in this thread, but the wires change between the amp and the speakers. You'll find the colors in the diagrams in the AV manual - http://psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/sedan/2004/AV.pdf

Old 03-03-2016, 01:50 PM
What phone?

For android, if you want it controlled via steering wheel, your best option is the GROM unit with the bluetooth adapter, since that lets you pause and skip via the steering wheel buttons. All the other units simply give you an analog input with no control capability.
Hey everybody. Just bought an '05 G35x with the Bose system.

@Wrathernaut, I wanted to ask you if this is still true for Android phones. I am just looking to add Bluetooth to my factory stereo, aux input isn't necessary. Keeping the steering wheel controls would be ideal

Do I have any other (possibly cheaper) options?

I have included a picture of my stereo if it helps my question at all. TIA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio