Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Whoosh is the sound my head makes when I read over your first post again.

Quote:
The major difference between the first and second type are whether they connect at the back of the radio (Nissan-type) or at the satellite radio harness in the trunk (Infiniti-type). Nissan-type connect at the back of the radio, and as such, require removal of the factory radio (link at the bottom of the first post.
End quote.

Thanks for not responding

Also, what should I do about my iPhone 5? Can I just use the lightning adapter?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsA..Gthing
I did read it,but im not exactly stereo inclined...Was wanting the easiest route,which was thinking the plug and play option..Going in the trunk of SAT..but not sure on how this works..Just don't want the hassle of pulling head unit out if possible..Sorry im a stereo noob
Since you've got an 03, you're very unlikely to be pre-wired for satellite, so you'll need to pull the radio and use any of the "nissan-type" adapters, like the PA15-NIS.

Urbanengineer, with an 05 is almost certainly pre-wired for satellite and can use the PA15-INFI and just hook it up in the trunk.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 07-30-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: forgot to take year into account
Old 07-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Whoosh is the sound my head makes when I read over your first post again.

Quote:
The major difference between the first and second type are whether they connect at the back of the radio (Nissan-type) or at the satellite radio harness in the trunk (Infiniti-type). Nissan-type connect at the back of the radio, and as such, require removal of the factory radio (link at the bottom of the first post.
End quote.

Thanks for not responding

Also, what should I do about my iPhone 5? Can I just use the lightning adapter?
So long as your lightning adapter is an official apple 30-pin to lightning adapter, you should be ok. http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1

Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Received 218 Likes on 187 Posts
Thanks...I know I have a SAT button,so I just assumed it was prewired in trunk..Tnx..

Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by ItsA..Gthing
Thanks...I know I have a SAT button,so I just assumed it was prewired in trunk..Tnx..
Having a SAT button only means you have a button with the letters S-A-T on it. Sadly it seems whatever button sheets were closer to the installer on the assembly line were put in, regardless of whether the car was unwired, wired for, or equipped with the satellite adapter. I'd check the trunk for the satellite adapter harness first, but chances are great that you don't have the wiring.

The following users liked this post:
ItsA..Gthing (07-30-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Having a SAT button only means you have a button with the letters S-A-T on it. Sadly it seems whatever button sheets were closer to the installer on the assembly line were put in, regardless of whether the car was unwired, wired for, or equipped with the satellite adapter. I'd check the trunk for the satellite adapter harness first, but chances are great that you don't have the wiring.
So Ive been following this thread here and there. I have an 03 coupe with Bose system, but no navi (didnt want it). and yes, I have the infamous SAT button

Anyrate, attached you will find pictures of the SAT box in the trunk. Im not knowledgable about all the electronics, but hope by the pictures, you can guide me on whether this SAT box is wired or unwired... and which auxiallary option I should go for. The last two pics are of the connections to the SAT box angled the camera from the engine towards the back of the car

Name:  IMAG3469.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  28.4 KB
Name:  IMAG3468.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  21.3 KB
Name:  IMAG3473.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  29.8 KB
Name:  IMAG3471.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  24.6 KB
Name:  IMAG3465.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  21.2 KB

Old 08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by WTF??
So Ive been following this thread here and there. I have an 03 coupe with Bose system, but no navi (didnt want it). and yes, I have the infamous SAT button

Anyrate, attached you will find pictures of the SAT box in the trunk. Im not knowledgable about all the electronics, but hope by the pictures, you can guide me on whether this SAT box is wired or unwired... and which auxiallary option I should go for. The last two pics are of the connections to the SAT box angled the camera from the engine towards the back of the car

That's not a satellite receiver. That's your amplifier.

However, I'm pretty sure that this is your satellite harness:

If you can get a better picture of it, I can try and confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Edit: For some reason there's virtually nothing about the satellite radio tuner in the factory service manuals, except in the 2006 sedan manual, however, they should all be the same plug, if not the same colors. The plug should have 6 terminals on the side separated by the harness clip, and ten terminals on the other.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 08-08-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Justice06RR (04-27-2016)
Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
That's not a satellite receiver. That's your amplifier.

If you can get a better picture of it, I can try and confirm, but I'm pretty sure that's it.
Thanks for pointing my amp lol... told you Im not knowledgable on this stuff.

But yeah I'll try and get a better pic. Figured I'd get general pics first

Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
For anyone that would like a extremely cheap option Crutchfiled has this sony system marked down from 250 to 49.99 SHIPPED.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XDPM...nd-System.html

Old 08-08-2013, 11:36 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I just ordered one and figured I'd let you guys know about it before they are sold out or the price goes up.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Northern BRO
I just ordered one and figured I'd let you guys know about it before they are sold out or the price goes up.
Ha as I wait to finalize my decision on my DDin, this is probably worth it! Is it plug and play or do I need a vehicle specific harness?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Ha as I wait to finalize my decision on my DDin, this is probably worth it! Is it plug and play or do I need a vehicle specific harness?
According to the installation manual you're expected to just splice it between the factory headunit and the speakers. Definitely not plug-n-play. You'll have to identify the right speaker wires from a factory service manual, remove the factory radio to get to the wires to splice into the four speaker channels, tap a switched power source and power-on signal (cigarette lighter's easiest for both of those) and get a clean ground.

Considering this unit outputs a speaker-level signal, it's going to cause problems if you have the bose amplifier, so I wouldn't recommend it at all for anyone with the bose system.

Additionally, you're not going to get any sort of control of anything but volume through the factory headunit, so you'll have to rely on the handheld remote or direct control via the iPod to do anything with it.

Urbanengineer (10-31-2018)
Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
iphone 4s integration with nissan adapter ?

search owns me...
I have a 2003 G35 brembo coupe
with a Nissan 248H0-E-1254U adapter
iphone 3gs
iphone 4s

Ive found the plug for the SAT and have had the setup working so i know the basics

1) how do i reconfigure the plug(s) to charge the iphones ?
2) id love to find something that can be modded to allow the iphone to sit on the plug in the ashtray

any other resources would be great

Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Wrathernaut, thanks for taking time to post this great info. It's very helpful.

Earlier this year I purchased an '07 Coupe with the Bose system and Navigation. It also has working satellite radio which I believe is aftermarket (was factory satellite even an option?). I currently use an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2) and would like to play phone audio through the sound system.

My original intent was to just add a 3.5mm audio jack to use a cable to connect to the phone. The Pacific Audio Corporation PAC ISNI531 seems to be the least expensive way to do this. After reading through your post I started thinking about the possibility of using bluetooth to transfer the audio signal using the USA-SPEC PA15-INFI. However I'm not certain this would work for an Android phone. It sounds as if all of the additional features with this module (such as using the steering controls to select songs) works on Apple products only. Is that correct? Additionally, I'm assuming my satellite harness in the trunk is already being used.

So it sounds like for an Android phone a 3.5mm audio cable is the only option and I should use the PAC ISNI531. Do you agree? Thanks so much for your help.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by AZ_G
Wrathernaut, thanks for taking time to post this great info. It's very helpful.

Earlier this year I purchased an '07 Coupe with the Bose system and Navigation. It also has working satellite radio which I believe is aftermarket (was factory satellite even an option?). I currently use an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2) and would like to play phone audio through the sound system.

My original intent was to just add a 3.5mm audio jack to use a cable to connect to the phone. The Pacific Audio Corporation PAC ISNI531 seems to be the least expensive way to do this. After reading through your post I started thinking about the possibility of using bluetooth to transfer the audio signal using the USA-SPEC PA15-INFI. However I'm not certain this would work for an Android phone. It sounds as if all of the additional features with this module (such as using the steering controls to select songs) works on Apple products only. Is that correct? Additionally, I'm assuming my satellite harness in the trunk is already being used.

So it sounds like for an Android phone a 3.5mm audio cable is the only option and I should use the PAC ISNI531. Do you agree? Thanks so much for your help.
Factory satellite is an option, and is probably what you have - if you're going for a basic and cheap method, you have something that can make yours *very* cheap. There is a stereo analog signal that goes between the satellite adapter and the factory radio. All you need to do is tap those wires to a 3.5mm female jack and turn the radio to satellite and you'll get the audio.

The factory service manual for the '07 coupe lists pins 33, 34, 35, 36 at the satellite adapter (21, 22, 23 and 24 at the radio), end up being arranged in a 2x2 square on one side, so they should be easy enough to find.
The wires at the radio harness (M90) are:
Left+ RED
Left- GREEN
Right+ BLACK
LEFT- WHITE

The wires at the satellite radio harness are:
Left+ Blue/Green
Left- Blue/Yellow
Right+ Orange/Blue
Right- White/Blue

You can tap them at the back of the radio, or follow the wires from the satellite adapter in trunk to somewhere in the main cabin. They stay the same color from the adapter to the radio.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 11-08-2013 at 10:49 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to Add Auxiliary or iPod Input to the Factory Radio