Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Single din conversion questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Single din conversion questions

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I'm new here (yes I did research first). I recently bought a '06 G and I've lived with a malfunctioning CD player since I bought it, and have finally had enough of only being able to listen to the radio. I've been looking into single din dash kits, and I only seem to be finding the Metra one. I don't mind the look of it (with the black buttons anyway), I am curious if anyone makes one that uses a **** instead of a up/down button for the temperature control - like the oem set up.

Metra controls:

http://www.wrightssoundgallery.biz/m...finiti_g35.JPG

oem 06+ controls:

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...e-p1070583.jpg

I realize you can get a oem jdm double din setup that uses the oem control setup, but I'd rather do single din. And no I don't really care for the ipod integration into the factory unit. Oh, and I assume the Metra kits buttons are plug and play?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Chantastic
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I'm new here (yes I did research first). I recently bought a '06 G and I've lived with a malfunctioning CD player since I bought it, and have finally had enough of only being able to listen to the radio. I've been looking into single din dash kits, and I only seem to be finding the Metra one. I don't mind the look of it (with the black buttons anyway), I am curious if anyone makes one that uses a **** instead of a up/down button for the temperature control - like the oem set up.

Metra controls:

http://www.wrightssoundgallery.biz/m...finiti_g35.JPG

oem 06+ controls:

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...e-p1070583.jpg

I realize you can get a oem jdm double din setup that uses the oem control setup, but I'd rather do single din. And no I don't really care for the ipod integration into the factory unit. Oh, and I assume the Metra kits buttons are plug and play?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You can just get a generic single-din cubby and fill the space below the double-din opening in the JDM unit.

The only aftermarket kit for our cars is the Metra kit.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I just got a single din done just today. I opted for the Metra kit and everything fits fine. Just you can feel the paint quality isn't up to par. I love my metra kit so far, I didn't feel like cashing out 360 on just a JDM double din because I was never big on audio in the first place. Overall I spent around 300 dollars for everything, the Bose adapter, antenna adapter, single din, metra kit, and 100 for install. So 400 to have all my ac and radio work was a big plus to me.

Name:  photo-6_zps6274c1db.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  photo-5_zpsb80ccdd2.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  87.4 KB

Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies! Bobalob, are the buttons made from plastic or rubber? Does it feel like the icons on them will one day rub off, everything is plug and play? Mind you I have an '06 so the molding on mine would be different, but I think the controls would be the same. Speaking of which, with the jdm double din it looks like you need to do some work to retain to the dual climate control, so I think I'll pass on that option though it certainly does look cleaner.

And would I also need the bose adapter? Or do you mean the Infiniti to (insert brand) harness? What about the antenna adapter, required?

Last question, sorry: Where should I buy it from, any recommended places? Otherwise I'll just ebay/amazon it.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i did a single din conversion on my 05 sedan with the oem double din kit

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...onversion.html

thats my setup on the second post

Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
The buttons on that Metra kit just look like mid-90s GM interior garbage to me.

Name:  disgust.gif
Views: 762
Size:  4.35 MB

The 05+ interiors look so much better than that. Get the OEM JDM double din kit, for a much better looking setup, and snag a generic pocket to go below the single din stereo.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Chantastic
Thanks everyone for the replies! Bobalob, are the buttons made from plastic or rubber? Does it feel like the icons on them will one day rub off, everything is plug and play? Mind you I have an '06 so the molding on mine would be different, but I think the controls would be the same. Speaking of which, with the jdm double din it looks like you need to do some work to retain to the dual climate control, so I think I'll pass on that option though it certainly does look cleaner.

And would I also need the bose adapter? Or do you mean the Infiniti to (insert brand) harness? What about the antenna adapter, required?

Last question, sorry: Where should I buy it from, any recommended places? Otherwise I'll just ebay/amazon it.
All your questions answered here, in a sticky at the top of the forum.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Awesome, thanks!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
where would one source a single cubby to convert a jdm double to single?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
where would one source a single cubby to convert a jdm double to single?
Here's one, I'm sure there's other options also:
Metra 98-7499 Turbo Pocket for Nissan Vehicles Metra 98-7499 Turbo Pocket for Nissan Vehicles

Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM
i dont see it for the g35 but these pockets are supposed to be used for what tho? to replace the factory radios?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Premier Member

i dont see it for the g35 but these pockets are supposed to be used for what tho? to replace the factory radios?
They're for if you buy the JDM double din kit, but the stereo you choose is only a single din unit. That pocket would fill in the second din slot below the radio.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:37 PM
u sure bout that? metra doesnt play with jdm anything i think. and their kits will already have the pocket included. cant buy seperately. unless these pockets are universal. on their site it seems to be vehicle specific.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Premier Member

u sure bout that? metra doesnt play with jdm anything i think. and their kits will already have the pocket included. cant buy seperately. unless these pockets are universal. on their site it seems to be vehicle specific.
Looks like a universal pocket to me. Has a bunch of different mounting posts for different brackets.

I got that part # from michael454rs who post a link in this thread. He used the JDM kit, a single din radio, and that metra pocket to fill the gap.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:44 PM
i see. must be universal then. looking on metra site. i do see some unversal and nissan pockets. good to know. esp if its proven to work by members here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Single din conversion questions