Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Decided to give myself a different "perspective" on driving...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 6MT Coupe
Decided to give myself a different "perspective" on driving...

So when I got my G35 Coupe a few months ago my intentions were to keep it stock, or if any mods were done, to keep them stealthy. I like the way the G35 looks and didnt want to mess with it too much. The one thing I didnt like was the visibility out of the rear window, especially when parallel parking so I decided to add a back-up cam. As you know, to do this I needed to get a camera and a way to output it to the stock nav display. For better or worse, I went with the TVandNav2Go. Since I was going to be pulling the car apart I decided to add in some Aux audio feed through the stock radio. I went with an iSimple unit that had 2 Aux-ins and controlled via the XM radio. While I was in there, I also decided to get an HDMI to RCA converter, split the audio to the Aux 1 and the video to the TVandNav2Go. I took it a step further and got a cable that outputs from my phone to HDMI and hard wired it in. I took care in using Posi-tap connectors to splice into wires as to do minimal damage to the wiring. Finally, I wired up the backup camera.

TL;DR- When I get in my car, I have a micro-USB charging wire for my phone that also outputs video to the nav screen and audio to the radio.

I also downloaded an app on the phone that will let me use a PS3 controller as a touch input. So now I can use my phone and PS3 controller to play emulated video games on my stock nav screen.

NOW FOR THE UNIQUE PART I think...
Then over the holidays I decided to take it a step further and get a quadcopter that streams live video to my phone. I configured the PS3 controller to fly it. The results are that the PASSENGER (dont recommend driving and flying at the same time) can fly the quadcopter with a PS3 controller and stream live video to my navigation display.

*** THIS WAS ONLY A TEST ***
I was in a closed parking lot doing this and didnt have any help. If you do this, I highly recommend giving the passenger the controls. I was simultaneously holding a video camera, the PS3 controller and trying to drive a 6MT so its a little clumsy, but I wanted to do it while the weather was decent and I had time off. This is also my first edited video in a long time, I'm no pro and it could use some work.

I put together a video of it here:
https://vimeo.com/82985086
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Future Plans:
I have a programmable GPS module for the quadcopter that I still need to learn how to program... my end goal would be to bring this thing to a track event and have it flying in the infield following my car around the track with its camera (need to determine my lap times and program the GPS and panning accordingly). It cant go +100mph, so it'll have to pan a lot and fly to different vantage points.

I'd love to get some aerial shots of my car at the track. Alternatively I can just have a friend fly the thing while I'm out there.

I ran into some link loss issues, I was very close to the thing and I'm not sure if it was the fact that both the copter and the phone were low on battery, that there was interference from the school next to it, or if my crap phone just doesnt transmit that will. I thought about putting a wifi extender in the car and boosting the signal a bit.

Last edited by tha_ape; 12-30-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. But I envision the coptor being run over in the future.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Sounds like a fun project. But I envision the coptor being run over in the future.
I'm worried about it falling on my car, LOL.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
There are some really intelligent people on this site-no shot I could do that. That was sick.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Damn! Pretty sweet man!