Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 factory radio swap into an 04?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Um, physical install was very, very good. It's wired to one of the AUX inputs on the radio, it's got power, it looks about as good as you could hope for without doing any custom plastic or fiberglass. Nobody would question me if I said it was stock, if I replaced that "Special Offers" kindle standby screen with some Infiniti logo. The actual device though? not quite as good. There's two major problems with it - 1) Requires external data connection and 2) No built-in GPS. #1 is expected, and you tether it to your phone, problem is that when you do this, the Fire HD has no idea that it's slurping up your bandwidth instead of being on a unlimited home wifi connection, so it might ruin your data plan. #2 can be remedied with a GPS tethering app, but it's a bit buggy.

Bottom line is, the 6" kindle fire tablet is too dependent on your phone to be a good standalone "headunit". I'd recommend getting an older Galaxy Note, Galaxy Mega, HTC One Max, for a similar-sized phone with built-in GPS, the ability to be rooted easily, and, if you really want, its own data connection. I haven't checked to see if I can throw a giant hard drive of music/videos via a USB OTG cable, that would at least make it more usable, but only if it can have power supplied at the same time.
Yea I've heard the kindles aren't that great for much more than reading books lol. I think that nexus 6 will be great. I'll probably setup a custom kernel so evertime I power on the car, it loads up an infiniti logo or something. I also want to install a pressure switch, so when I close the console, the tablet turns off. The way my Jeeps tablet is wired is it senses the charger. When it's plugged in (jeep is on) it automatically loads the music player, hits play, and turns on gps/data. When I turn the jeep off and the charger turns off, it pauses the music app, kills all wireless comms, and dims/turns off the screen. In idle the tablet will last over a week before it needs a charge.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
That is awesome work Frostbite. COP 4x4 makes a ipad install kit for the JK wrangler that I debated doing but never did.
Thanks dude. It took a few weeks before I got it to this point. Eventually i'll redo it and hydrodip it rather than wrap it. Bondo is damn near impossible to cut straight though lol.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Frostbite91
Thanks dude. It took a few weeks before I got it to this point. Eventually i'll redo it and hydrodip it rather than wrap it. Bondo is damn near impossible to cut straight though lol.
You should try Evercoat Rage Gold. Far better than Bondo and amazing to work with, it sands very smooth.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:18 AM
I'll have to check that out. Looks like i'll be needing it for this project. Anything to stay away from fiberglass! Lol

Old 08-12-2015, 08:59 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Frostbite91
Yea I've heard the kindles aren't that great for much more than reading books lol. I think that nexus 6 will be great. I'll probably setup a custom kernel so evertime I power on the car, it loads up an infiniti logo or something. I also want to install a pressure switch, so when I close the console, the tablet turns off. The way my Jeeps tablet is wired is it senses the charger. When it's plugged in (jeep is on) it automatically loads the music player, hits play, and turns on gps/data. When I turn the jeep off and the charger turns off, it pauses the music app, kills all wireless comms, and dims/turns off the screen. In idle the tablet will last over a week before it needs a charge.
No pressure switch required, just sleep when its not charging, wake on power applied. The fire HD in mine can go about two weeks without the car being run before it goes from sleep to off.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:16 PM
yea, I was thinking about that, there will be times when I want the tablet stowed away but the music to stay on. I have a question, I noticed some versions the nav screen automatically retracts, which year did they start doing this? That would be neat if I could get it to open when I start, and retract when I turn the car off!

In other news, the Nexus 6 is pricey as hell! I'm not paying $400 for a 6" tablet, sorry. since only crap chinese tablets are in the 6" region, I'm looking at phablets, more specifically, they Samsung Galaxy Mega. Looks like it will be an almost perfect fit, with a teeny tiny bit of wiggle room. I can get one on ebay around the $100 range. Once I get the alternator replaced on my Jeep I'll probably start this project. I hate not having all my music integrated in my car.