Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

G35 coupe auto battery drain ?

Old 03-30-2018, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe auto battery drain ?

Hi everyone, need some help guys please ,

skyline 350gt auto, i live in the uk and owned the car for 10 years, it is totally standard

if i leave the car for like 3 days the battery is flat

if I jump start it with leads it drives and charges, then after a few miles it has charge and starts again

so over the years I’ve just kept it charged and maintained and driven and just lived with it

i upgraded the small Nissan battery to a normal size one

the only aftermarket kit is an immobiliser and a tracker

after another breakdown yesterday because I left lights on for like 10 mins it’s finally time to get it fixed

ive always thought it was the tracker that is draining the battery, car is perfect, no faults or electrical gremlins, no extra equipment like stereos etc

so before I call someone out I thought I’d ask you guys if there is anything I should look at first

had battery checked yesterday, it’s gone, fitted a new one today, alternator is fine

any help is greatly appreciated
cheers

Old 03-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Danny Davis
Hi everyone, need some help guys please ,

skyline 350gt auto, i live in the uk and owned the car for 10 years, it is totally standard

if i leave the car for like 3 days the battery is flat

if I jump start it with leads it drives and charges, then after a few miles it has charge and starts again

so over the years I’ve just kept it charged and maintained and driven and just lived with it

i upgraded the small Nissan battery to a normal size one

the only aftermarket kit is an immobiliser and a tracker

after another breakdown yesterday because I left lights on for like 10 mins it’s finally time to get it fixed

ive always thought it was the tracker that is draining the battery, car is perfect, no faults or electrical gremlins, no extra equipment like stereos etc

so before I call someone out I thought I’d ask you guys if there is anything I should look at first

had battery checked yesterday, it’s gone, fitted a new one today, alternator is fine

any help is greatly appreciated
cheers
Well you now have a new battery hopefully one with six vent caps? Did you really have a ten year old battery?
What was the CCA rating of your original battery and did you upgrade the replacement battery with a higher CCA rating?
By using a lead acid battery with vent caps as opposed to a sealed battery it is quite easy to determine the charge level in each battery cell by using a battery hydrometer.
G35 coupe auto battery drain ?-2ye57nq.jpg

If you are still worried about current draw use a multi-meter to measure current draw by putting the meter in series with your battery cable.

Your problem most likely was a weak or dead cell in your old battery and consider yourself lucky if it lasted ten years. I never keep a battery longer than four or five years and monitor the cells carefully after four years as we have very cold winter temperatures here in New Jersey.

Telcoman

Old 03-30-2018, 10:53 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Many folks have reported that the OEM cd changer can cause HUGE parasitic current draw when it starts to go out. If you have one equipped on your vehicle I would start there, it can be disassembled and the changer part unplugged from the rest of the unit.

The following users liked this post:
Mr_Saikou (12-22-2019)
Old 04-02-2018, 12:10 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Factory amp is also a source of power draw when the car's off. Do the basic test and disconnect the negative power cable after you park the car. If it starts fine after a couple days after re-connecting it, you've got draw problems.

The tougher part is narrowing down where that draw is.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 AM
Received 367 Likes on 336 Posts
What Telcoman said...

Hook up a multimeter in-line with the battery cable and see how much current is being drawn when everything is turned off.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys!!
ive got an auto electrician coming this week, but at least I can give him some pointers where to look!

its not the same battery, I’ve had 6 batteries in ten years
car has always had this problem
it does have oem head unit with disc changer built in
hope he can find the issue!
thanks guys