Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Can I get some advice on a complete Stereo Upgrade for my 05' G35 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I get some advice on a complete Stereo Upgrade for my 05' G35 Coupe?

Hi All,

I took a break from hunting zombies and decided to buy a graphite G35 6-speed coupe, 2005 model.

The bose stereo is bloody awful and needs an upgrade BAD!

I have read through the 1st couple of pages and really couldn't get a clear picture of how to go about upgrading it....

By the way this isn't going to be a DIY install... Gonna leave it to the pro's.

First off I have two JL12W3's and a Rockford Fosgate 500a2 Amp in my old car I was *thinking* about integrating into the new G35. Is this a good idea?

I would also like to keep the stock head unit IF possible, because I like the look.

Other than that I have no problem ditching the Bose Amp and the nasty 6x9's in the back. They sound like crap anyways...

Basically I need new door and rear speakers, and amp for them... My existing subs and amp and some sort of way to control the subwoofer from the front of the car.

What do you pro's recommend? Also what would any proposed systems run me installed? Lastly I live in Encinitas California... What do you guys think of Tweeter? There is one right down the street.

Thx for the info!

Old 03-08-2005, 10:12 AM
check out jl audios new solution
or you can use audiocontrols DSP/EQ for your needs

Old 03-08-2005, 10:50 AM
All you need is a LOC. to add external amplifiers to a factory hu. Like Gedout said the JL Audio Cleansweep is a good idea, but won't be available for a few months.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Sound Advice
You are a good hour away from my shop but it would be worth the drive, we do a ton of the G's from this board and you can ask around about our quality of work and pricing. If you are up to the drive, stop by and we will get your G sounding like it should.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:51 AM
FGC's official flip flopper
I am in the same exact position. I have the Bose upgrade in the coupe and just want to keep the stock deck but upgrade my speakers and put some sort of small sub setup. I have no idea what this will run me (Assuming I need 2 amps and 4 new speakers). Again, I have no idea on costs (both parts and install).

What is an LOC and why is it needed?

TIA

Old 03-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by g8tor20
I am in the same exact position. I have the Bose upgrade in the coupe and just want to keep the stock deck but upgrade my speakers and put some sort of small sub setup. I have no idea what this will run me (Assuming I need 2 amps and 4 new speakers). Again, I have no idea on costs (both parts and install).

What is an LOC and why is it needed?

TIA
If you want to get an idea on prices then go visit your local car audio store. They can also quote you on install prices too.

Now for the LOC. You need to be able to send your amps an audio signal. Most aftermarket decks will have whats called pre-amp outputs. What this does is it bypasses the internal amplifers and sends an un-amplified signal to the amps via an RCA style cable. Since the stock hu does not have pre-amp outputs you have to get a signal from somewhere. The loc allows you to take an amplified speaker level signal and convert it back to a low level rca signal. Most amps these days have LOCs built in, if they don't then you'll need an LOC of some type. They can be has as cheap as $20 bucks as high as a couple hundred. If you're still confused hit me up.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't bother with a loc if you like good sound quality. The Bose amp isn't the only part of the stock system that has equalization. The stock HU does as well. The equalizations are designed to make up for inadequacies in the stock speakers that most aftermarket speakers don't have. These adjustments make for some HORRIBLE SQ on good after market speakers. There are plenty of other reasons, but in my mind, an after market deck is the only way to go.

Last edited by pathfinder36; 03-08-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by pathfinder36
I wouldn't bother with a loc if you like good sound quality. The Bose amp isn't the only part of the stock system that has equalization. The stock HU does as well. The equalizations are designed to make up for inadequacies in the stock speakers that most aftermarket speakers don't have. These adjustments make for some HORRIBLE SQ on good after market speakers. There are plenty of other reasons, but in my mind, an after market deck is the only way to go.
Everything you have said is very true. All you will be doing is amplifying crap.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Keep in mind:
I couldn't properly tune in my system with a 31 band 6 channel EQ using the stock HU. That should tell you just how bad amplifying a weak, crap signal can be. Bite the bullet and pay for the dash conversion. You'll be glad you did.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:42 PM
First, I am keeping the stock HU. I have the Nav and like the look of the stock feel. I just dont like the audio output. I dont need equalization.. I'm not that big of an audio buff. So I guess its not as easy as just keeping the deck and buying a couple good amps with some good replacement speakers? I would like to control the sub from the front b/c I am going to get the AV Electronics things and dont need so much bass while I'm, say, watching seinfeld.

I'll surely take it to a shop and get a quote, but what am I looking at here...roughly? And I may be getting the sub box free. So I just need the amps, speakers, anything I need to control sub from front, install and whatever else you guys think I need. TIA guys. I'm sorry for my ignorance with this stuff but I am learning as I go.

Jason

Old 03-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Also...will there be a compatability problem if I do this audio upgrade as well as getting the AV Electronic DVD thing. Could I do both?

Old 03-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Some sub amps come with a volume control that can be mounted up front.

Sub $80-$1000
sub amp $200-$1000
4 ch amp $200-$1000
speakers $60-$1000
install for one amp $50-$60
install for speakers $40-$50 or more.
As you can see prices can vary greatly for equipment. Set yourself a budget of what you want to spend. Then start from there. Come up with a budget and I can make some suggestions.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't have my coupe yet but I just ordered the rest of my stereo components that I will move over. I would suggest the 4080 sub box with a JL 10" W6V2 sub posered by a JL 500/1 amp. I have Focal component speaker that are awesome. I was told about half of the competition car stereo crowd uses Focal, they are good even if they are french. I power mine with a JL300/2. if you need to power the rear door speakers the get a JL 450/4. Remove the 6X9 on the rear deck you don't need them and they cause weird things with sound bouncing off the rear window. This setup would be very nice.

Zguy

Old 03-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Nooooo......not Focal!
J/K, Good speakers I personally don't like them because they are very bright. Can be very fatiguing for me.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Rudy
You are a good hour away from my shop but it would be worth the drive, we do a ton of the G's from this board and you can ask around about our quality of work and pricing. If you are up to the drive, stop by and we will get your G sounding like it should.

Thanks all for the great advice....

I got a few questions for you Rudy...

I cruised on by Tweeter today and got a quote for the below install:

Polk Audio Separates for the Front, and either the 6x9 or 5x7's for the rear.. (forgot the size).

JL13W6 with sealed box for the sub.

Two JL Audio Amps to run this.

1 farad capacitor.

Bass **** installed to control the level of the bass.

All gold connectors/battery connectors and good wiring.

Lifetime Guaranteed Install

Installed: $3200.00

I know that isn't very specific but that was what we came up with in about an hour.

Do you think you can do better Rudy at around that price? Also how long have you been in business? Lastly how can I contact you or your shop to set up an appointment? If you can beat the hardware and/or the price I'll throw my biz your way.

The bottom line is the install above is decent at best. I just want something to get me by until I can go big with a full on custom deal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can I get some advice on a complete Stereo Upgrade for my 05' G35 Coupe?