Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Sound Deadening the G.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing the window:

1) remove the door panel
2) take the window switch unit out of the door panel, youll need it in te follow steps
3) there are three access holes in the black metal "plate" hidden behind black taped disks. actually there are 6, three toward the bottom of the door and three across the upper part. i used the three on the bottom because the service manual recommends those. remove the taped disks.
4) plug in the window switch and lower/raise the window until you see the three bolts line up in those holes.
5) 10mm socket the three bolts out. as you remove the last two, probably a good idea to hold the glass so it doesnt drop
6) grab the rear of the glass and lift it toward the front of the door. it will lift up and out and you can remove the glass.

with the glass removed, all you need to do is remove all the perimeter 10mm bolts from the black panel and it comes right off. you wont need to remove the window motor, rails, cables, etc. the entire unit comes out as one piece.

ill try to scan this page of the service manual and post it tonight. helps alot.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I sound-deadened my doors and didn't find it necessary to remove the window nor tape it in the up position. The window will not fall, even if rolled up. The linkage holds it in place, and I was able to fit pieces of raammat behind everything, even though i cut my hands up pretty bad.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:13 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I received a question asking if I filled the entire trunk lid and thought I would post my response here as well.

The attached pic shows every pocket is filled with foam. I let it dry and used a knife to cut the excess off to give it a clean look.

Attached Thumbnails Sound Deadening the G.-dsc01537.jpg  
Old 03-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Excuse the my ignorance here, but what is the advantage of sound deadening the trunk lid?

Old 03-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I personally used Cascade VMAX dampener.

Recently a friend of mine who is a professional installer here told me that you can get some Roofing material at Wal-Mart that has the same type of aluminum on one side and adhesive on the other. He said it is virtually the exact same material as Dynamat or Cascade dampener and it is like $60.00 for a 4X8 Sheet.

This seems like a cheap alternative that is more or less the same thing.
My car is already done so the cost is sunk but this seems worth looking into for anyone who is putting off dampening.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by shooter
here is a few install pics................

i hope this helps or gives you some ideas......i have learned so much from this site (and continue to do so) i would like to give something back
I'd move that crossover from the door to somewhere else inside the kick panel, behind the dash, etc. Doors opening & closing can wreak havoc on them.

Old 03-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by BigSash
I personally used Cascade VMAX dampener.

Recently a friend of mine who is a professional installer here told me that you can get some Roofing material at Wal-Mart that has the same type of aluminum on one side and adhesive on the other. He said it is virtually the exact same material as Dynamat or Cascade dampener and it is like $60.00 for a 4X8 Sheet.

This seems like a cheap alternative that is more or less the same thing.
My car is already done so the cost is sunk but this seems worth looking into for anyone who is putting off dampening.
Usually the roofing material alternatives work, but leave a nasty tar smell in your car for a few days after install, and comes back on hot days.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:18 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vibration dampening products are designed to deaden the natural resonance of your car's body by absorbing the vibrations caused by your speakers and road noise. These materials reduce general road noise (like tire hum, engine noise, wind, other car's engines, sirens, and the sounds of the angry drivers you've cut off, etc.) that can interfere with your music, and improve speaker performance by providing a more stable mounting platform. Creating an acoustically neutral space (or as neutral as a mobile system can get) will make your music sound better. Vibration dampening is also a great way to tame a trunk-rattling subwoofer for tighter bass and less distortion.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:44 AM
c35
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!

Simply amazing, Shooter and company. I am very impressed by the dedication, attention to detail, and generosity for sharing this info on this thread.

With all of that said, I am TERRIFIED at the thought of removing countless panels, etc. in my G without causing MORE rattles.

Nonetheless, thank you.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 AM
the panels are designed to come out for servicibility, it's not difficult. Don't be scared!

Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
It's actually pretty easy removing panels, just don't lose any of the little clips.

Dave

Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 AM
I think I could completely disassemble the rear of my car in 20 minutes now. However, if Fatmat.com doesn't ship me my fatmat (like dynamat) soon, I'm going to just put it all back in as I'm about done with my install. I'm just waiting for more fatmat. I ordered on the 7th, and still haven't seen anything from them.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm just gonna say this once...if you order from FATMAT.com, beware. They WILL NOT TELL YOU when their product is in stock. If you call to cancel, they will tell you that your order just shipped, even if it didn't. And their combo deals that claim to come with a wooden roller, degreaser, and exacto knife for cutting don't. I waited 16 days for my order, and when it got to me finally, it had none of the tools. Just the mat. The mat is actually very good, but just beware that you won't get it fast, and you won't get the other goodies.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
zeronoise.com

Old 03-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nas4a
I think I could completely disassemble the rear of my car in 20 minutes now.
Werd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening the G.