Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

MP3 in 04 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3 in 04 coupe

Has anyone added MP3 capability to their G? I don't wanna do a double din conversion. I was thinking something like the Phatbox, which hooks up through the SAT input and displays the song name, but didn't see one for Infinitis or Nissans on their site. Anyone know of anything else like this?

Right now my best option looks like an iPod through the SAT input with a PAC audio adapter...will that display the song info on the stock headunit?

stuey

Old 05-22-2005, 05:39 PM
i'm also thinking of a simple carputer to play MP3s...no dvd or video. anyone know a good processor/mini-itx mobo that wouldn't be overkill?

or anything else i could rig up for MP3s...i'm drawing a blank

Old 05-22-2005, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
was thinking something like the Phatbox, which hooks up through the SAT input and displays the song name, but didn't see one for Infinitis or Nissans on their site
it is def available for our g's, and should be on the website. I have the 40 gig unit and am very happy with it. When you see, hear and use it, you will understand why it costs what it does. Make sure you let them know you need the cable to connect using the sat prewire if you get it....this will let you install it in about 5 minutes.

my best option looks like an iPod through the SAT input with a PAC audio adapter...will that display the song info on the stock headunit?
No, it will not, although you will be able to adjust the volume with the steering wheel controls, you will still need to do any navigation with the ipod itself. Check out <A href="http://g35ipod.com/home.php">g35ipod.com</a> for info on that setup.

Attached Thumbnails MP3 in 04 coupe-phatbox2.jpg  
Old 05-22-2005, 08:10 PM
i have seen and used it...my friend has one for his VW. he only paid around $100 for it brand new...it seems VW has even been giving them away for free with new cars or something. anthing similar going on for the G?

Old 05-24-2005, 07:13 PM
it looks like this solution will work also. Not sure what the cost of the phatnoise system is, but if you already have an iPod, this looks to be a viable solution. Soundgate designs and builds the system exclusively for Monster.

Eric

http://www.monstercable.com/icruze/configurator/

INFINITI G35 2003-04

Plug In Location: Radio
Important Notes: Must be CD changer capable

REQUIRED iCruze HARDWARE FOR YOUR CAR:
Monster Performance Car™ FactoryLinx™ iCruze™ OEM/CD Changer Interface Module

Model Name: MPC FX ICRUZ
Description: iPod® Interface Module
Inventory Number: 125359
Price: $249.95

Monster Performance Car™ Factory=Linx™ iCruze® Interface Module
More Details

Model Name: MPC FX IM-NIS1
Description: Interface Module- Nissan
Inventory Number: 125366
Price: $99.95

OPTIONAL iCruze ENHANCEMENTS
Monster Performance Car™ FactoryLinx™ iCruze™ LCD Display Module Anticipated Ship
Model Name: MPC FX LCD-UM
Description: LCD Display - Universal Mount
Inventory Number: 125360
Price: $99.95

TOTAL PRICE (required items): $349.90
TOTAL PRICE (with LCD Display): $449.85

Old 05-24-2005, 07:48 PM
i think that icruze thing for ipod just became available recently, it seems like it would be a pretty good option.....i wonder if anyone has actually installed an ipod in a G using that yet.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by redwillow
i think that icruze thing for ipod just became available recently, it seems like it would be a pretty good option.....i wonder if anyone has actually installed an ipod in a G using that yet.
I'm going to within the next 30 days probably. I just picked up my new G35 Coupe last Tuesday so i want to get the tech manuals first before attempting the install. I talked to one of the tech guys at Soundgate for a half an hour about it today. He said it's pretty much plug and play, you will only need to tap in to a 12v constant and a 12V switched wire which you can access around back of the radio. No special other sources required. You also retain full steering wheel controls. He said it treats it just like a CD changer and your playlists are the discs. Said it will only use the first 9 playlists you have on your iPod. Only downside I could see to it, that and it does not display mp3 data on the radio display, but you can buy there optional LCD display for another $99 bucks to do that.

If you buy it from Best Buy, right now you get 10% off 2 mp3 accessories and 15% off if you buy 3 accessories. They even have the option to pick up at your local store. The one I checked had everything in stock I could pick it up tonight if I had to.

E

Old 05-24-2005, 08:31 PM
anthing similar going on for the G?
..no, but i did see something from phatbox about 10% off.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:35 PM
..no, but i did see something from phatbox about 10% off.
I checked out their site too and didn't see one for the Infinit/Nissan. I picked a Toyota model and it was $799. $719 after their 10% off. Double the cost of this Monster solution.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
I checked out their site too and didn't see one for the Infinit/Nissan...............$719 after their 10% off. Double the cost of this Monster solution.
you are right, i just checked it out and they have redone their site. Nissan/Infiniti is no longer listed, not sure why...as they are supported, in fact they even specially developed the cable to allow connection to the sat prewire for our cars.

It looks like the prices have gone back up on them, around the holidays i think they were running the basic 20 gig-er for about $650 with free shipping.

Cost wise, if you add in the price of the ipod itself the price is around the same for either option. But the install to hook the ipod into the back of the head unit and mount is somewhere is more difficult.....of course you do have the portability feature with the ipod. Guess it all comes down to what you are looking for.

Just wondering, will the ipod play .mp3s that are unprotected or not encoded with their own software?

Did you notice this, might be worth checking out.
....phatox "autoport for ipod"

Last edited by redwillow; 05-24-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:05 PM
From what I understand the mp3 format is not apple or iPod specific. The only Apple specific encoding/compression format that I am aware of that is Apple proprietary is their Apple Lossless Encoder. As I understand it, those type of files can only be played with Apple software. mp3 encoded files should be able to be played through any mp3 compatible device as far as I know. I've never had any problem with them on my iPod. I believe the music files that people download from the iTunes music store are in mp3 format. You should be OK.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Did you notice this, might be worth checking out.
....phatox "autoport for ipod"
Looks like it is oinly available for Volvo's currently

Another thing on the iCruize, the iPod controls are completely disabled so you don't have to mount your iPod in a visible location. The Soundgate tech suggested just routing the connector cable to the glove box and leaving it in there. The iPod is controlled completely through the head unit and steering wheel controls. That's how I had it hooked up in my Z06 through my Alpine head unit.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:38 PM
What's wrong with...

What about using those tape deck converters? I have a useless tape deck and put in those cassette adapters with a minijack and plug into any device...just enable dolby NR and it doesn't sound that bad...all for peanuts!

When done, I just eject and leave it...I have the plug in the cubby right above with the mp3 player...works for me! Not into taking the dash apart to put in aux anyways.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by lg777
What about using those tape deck converters? I have a useless tape deck and put in those cassette adapters with a minijack and plug into any device...just enable dolby NR and it doesn't sound that bad...all for peanuts!

When done, I just eject and leave it...I have the plug in the cubby right above with the mp3 player...works for me! Not into taking the dash apart to put in aux anyways.
There's nothing wrong if that sound quality is acceptable to you. I had an old girlfriend who did it that way and loved it. I personally prefer the better sound quality and advanced features that come from using a hardwired system. I previously had mine hardwired through my Alpine HU in my Z06. Worked like a charm and it was better quality sound than what came from the CD player.

BTW, there isn't a tape deck in The 2005 Bose system, at least not mine anyways.

To each his own. Just my $0.02

Old 05-25-2005, 07:36 PM
I found out that if you want a phatbox for infiniti/nissan now, then you have to get the MusicKeg. Seems Kenwood bought some rights and is reselling the phatbox as the MusicKeg.

My friend with the VW said it was a specific distributor that was selling the Phatbox where he got it so cheap. I can't see spending $700 when he paid only $120.

I'm gonna go with a carputer now, even though I have the stock navi, because it will be cheaper than $700 and much more flexible. It will also give me something to do

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MP3 in 04 coupe