Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

thoughts on beyma speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thoughts on beyma speakers

Just curious on your peoples thoughts and opinions on beyma speakers. All your help would be very appreciated

Old 06-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
neva heard of them

Old 06-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
their website is in Spanish??? Have also never heard or seen their products.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Florida G35 Club
beyma, new one for me???

Old 06-23-2005, 11:31 PM
beyma's

ya there made in spain. There susposedly really loud and I wanted to see if anybody had them in their coupe. Since I just bought 4 of them, I will let everyone know in about 3 weeks when everything is finally installed how they sound

Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Beyma is the JBL of Spain

Beyma makes very high quality speakers, they sound like the Pro JBL speakers.
I started using them in the mid 1980's. At the time they cost less than JBL, but had the same sound. John

Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 PM
speakers themselves aren't loud. it's the signal that goes into them. depending on the impedance of the speaker it will alter the output characteristics (there's many more factors but that's the main one that will affect the output sound level)

oh and I've never heard of them either

Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
There is sensitivity rating for speakers , lets say 93db. What this means is that with 1 watt of power this speaker will produce 93db sound level at 1 meter. If one speaker A has a rating of 89db and speaker B has a raring of 98db, speaker B will sound a lot louder with the same amp power. John

Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Old 01-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Eh, sensitivity is a bunch of hobglobin crap. I've seen some rated lower than others and they outperform output wise. All that CEA certified stuff is BS as well. Different companies use different methods to test their products and rate them. For example, Audiobahn is CEA certified, and so is Rockford. Put any Audiobahn amp against Rockford and see the actual difference in quality and actual power put out.

Also, Beyma is mainly pro audio. I wouldn't use them in a car.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 AM
I currently have the beyma ast-09 tweeter and the pro 65nd mid bass in the rear ,so far I think they sound really good.cost a little bit but I think it's worth it..using the alpine pdx 4.150 amp to push them..sounds good just gotta adjust it to the way you like it to sound..overall very good product so far..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 AM
hey don
if you look at the "fine print" on the ratings area it will show you the TRUE rating. so the 1000W max will say 300watts by 2 rms. 1000watts max if lightning hits it while you're taking a dump, while you're having phone sex with an obese midget. And that will only happen for a split second before the amp blows up. the sensitivity rating is only moderately important. usually it depicts how a speaker will perform overall, I tend to ignore it for the most part because I listen for tonality, of speakers at a standard volume level.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
I know, I'm comparing an actual amp rated in RMS wattage....or even a sub, or speaker.. I just checked and noticed that BOSS is CEA certified. I'd love to see one of their speakers with similar specs put up against something from Image Dynamics, or even one of their amps that is rated at 1000w max put up against a rockford 500w. I guarantee the Rockford would put it to shame.

I don't pay much attention to ratings either because some of them are so underrated. Take for example the Focal 27a1 subs (now replaced by the 25a1...or the other way around). I had three of these hooked up to an RF t30001bd, so each sub was seeing an underrated 666w RMS, maybe close to 700w rms. These subs are rated at 250 rms 500 max but they took the extra power just fine, didnt blow, but they cones got a little warm, nothing wrong with that.

When it comes to choosing a piece of equipment like speakers, I try to see if I can hear them and I take my own CD to listen...it's also good to find people who have them installed so you can hear their setup (sometimes it can be a bad thing if they dont sound good in their vehicle). I primarily read reviews, research, ask questions, and then test out the speakers and hope they sound good, which has worked out pretty well the last couple of times.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by TroysG
speakers themselves aren't loud. It's the signal that goes into them
Try listening to a wire. If you put a few gigawatts in there you might hear something.

The efficiency of a transducer is critical. Sound Pressure Level in dB measured from a reference point is what you measure sound with.

How sound you get per watt is very important indeed, and it varies.

Originally Posted by jcrobso
There is sensitivity rating for speakers
Yes.

The way the units scale is not well known, and it highlights how important efficiency is.

To get twice the volume, you need 6dB more sound. Every 6dB it's twice as loud.

So a speaker with 84dB/W@1m will be half as loud as one that does 90dB/W@1m run off the same amplifier.

The usual efficiency of a speaker is between 80 and 90dB/W@1m

Some of beyma's speakers are pushing the 100dB mark, which is unusual.

___

What's less well known is that to double the volume of a sound system, you need to multiply the amplifier volume by around 10. Watts are not a logarithmic scale.

So 1W is surprisingly loud, and 1000W is surprisingly quiet. For a home hifi of 50W, most of the time people are using under a watt, and that can still clip on loud peaks.

Improving speaker efficiency is a much easier way to get volume than throwing more amplifier watts at the matter. The difference between 500W and 1000W is minimal. There is also the issue of headroom. Lots of amps behave well in overload, so they'll carry on pushing well over the specified linear limit. It all depends on the design. It's best to run amplifiers well within their limits.

____

a 100dB speaker is 8 times as loud (18dB=3x6dB) as one that is 82dB efficient. To do the same on the amplifier end, you'd need to upgrade your 100W amplifier to 100,000W.

This is why PA manufacturers spend a lot of effort on getting the efficiency. It's the true access to volume, especially outdoors where the walls don't help to increase SPL. If you have to lug a 10 times as many generators onsite and burn 10 times as much diesel, you are not making friends, and the PA system has to be packing a punch. Usually the systems used outdoors rate in the high 90s *and* take 5kW per little cabinet.

Originally Posted by The Stimulation
Eh, sensitivity is a bunch of hobglobin crap. I've seen some rated lower than others and they outperform output wise.
Manufacturers quoting bullshit figures is one thing, a scientific measure of efficiency quoted with a specified tolerance of error is another. In the pro audio world, efficiency is not something people fudge.

Last edited by bishopdante; 11-11-2011 at 03:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (11-14-2011)
Old 11-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Twice as loud is 10db bro...not 6

100db mid that isn't a 10" must fall flat on it's face around 200hz.

Beyma's are cool if used in a 3 way. If used in a 2 way, i'd use a 10" mid so you could some kind of output down to 80hz

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thoughts on beyma speakers