Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Dls Up6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pearl05G
Ken? (not sure if thats your right name) Would it be possible for me to contact you? I have a few questions that Id like to pick your brain about since picking up Dyn and DLS. I saw on your site that your doing both as well, so maybe a brief conversation...
Sending you a PM...

Old 10-17-2005, 06:41 PM
More than one way to skin a cat. The link isn't working for me, but I'm sure what he's talking about will work. The way I often do it is put a 1/8 ring of ABS or even the metal ring from the UP6 mounting kit, and then apply the big thick foam weatherstripping tape from Home Depot.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Oh, and I think the strip caulk he is referring to is different than tube caulking.

I wouldn't use anything that makes a sticky seal - I think foam tape is good enough.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finished! Whew... it's 12:17AM my time, took me about 2 hours on the passenger side, but most of that was because it was night and I was working with a shop light clamped to the "oh shi*t" handle on the passenger side. Normally I would have worked on it during the day, but I'm leaving at 6:30AM for Helen, GA to experience a little Oktoberfest and wanted my tunes in stereo for the 6 hour drive.

They sound even better in stereo el_duderino!

I also installed some doubled-up 7/16" tall (for a total of 14/16" tall) weatherproof foam around my spacers. It REALLY helped with the midbass as you others suggested it would. Also reduced panel rattling. With the foam being black, almost looks stock too

Also figured out how to secure the spare so it no longer rubs the RCAs when I make sharp turns or quick stops (rachet tie-down, carabeener (however you spell it) and relocating the jack).

I really need to tune the amp gains and get the sub put back in and balanced, but it feels good to have the hard parts done.

Rest is easy breezin' and tweaking to my hearts content

Thanks all for your help.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to hear ya got it all in, now wheres the pics?

Now just imagine fitting 8"ers in there.

Old 10-22-2005, 01:35 AM
I get my UP6s installed next week. Can't wait. I have it easy though. I'm dropping my car at el_duderino's shop.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by el_duderino
More than one way to skin a cat. The link isn't working for me, but I'm sure what he's talking about will work. The way I often do it is put a 1/8 ring of ABS or even the metal ring from the UP6 mounting kit, and then apply the big thick foam weatherstripping tape from Home Depot.
dont mean to threadjack but you seem to be very knowledgeable about this. i cant find in any of my searches what kind of interface i would need to use my stock bose headunit with an aftermarket amp and speakers. i've already got the ipod integrated into the system with the usa spec. now i just need a way to add an amp to the system without changing the headunit. in my Pathfinder with bose i was able to use a pac oem interface but I don't know if that will work with the g35? any suggestions? thanks for any help

Old 10-31-2006, 03:33 PM
what is this UP6 and where can i purchase it online? im buyin a 500/1 amp with 10W6v2

Last edited by emtguy05; 10-31-2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: accidently hit submit without finishing my sentence.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, talk about raising from the dead. I haven't seen elduderino here in a while, so don't be surprised if he doesn't respond. DLS UP6 is a component set. A very good one at that. Yes you can buy it online, and there is a TON of info on this forum. elduderino really pushed these speakers, so alot of forum members have them. Also, to the other poster, there are alot of threads on hooking up an amp to the stock system as well. Do a search, I guarantee you it's been covered. You can use a LOC or just splice RCA's, unless you use an amp with line level inputs. I would probably use a line driver, as the source signal is pretty weak.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by khsonic03
Wow, talk about raising from the dead. I haven't seen elduderino here in a while, so don't be surprised if he doesn't respond. DLS UP6 is a component set. A very good one at that. Yes you can buy it online, and there is a TON of info on this forum. elduderino really pushed these speakers, so alot of forum members have them. Also, to the other poster, there are alot of threads on hooking up an amp to the stock system as well. Do a search, I guarantee you it's been covered. You can use a LOC or just splice RCA's, unless you use an amp with line level inputs. I would probably use a line driver, as the source signal is pretty weak.
wow, i just realized that this thread was from 2005 and not this year- oops. ive done alot of searches and i dont find where people have used a line adapter to bring down the speaker level output of the bose to a line level that can go to an amp. whats a LOC? regarding splicing rca's, is that implying that there are rca or line outs coming from the Bose?

Old 11-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, the outputs from the bose are not speaker-level. They are low voltage outputs. You simply tap before the amp, and you can use either RCA's, LOC, or line driver. Take a look at the top of this forum under "stickies". There is one entitled "Upgrading sound system and keeping stock HU". If that doesn't answer your question, then nothing will.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:06 PM
el_duderino lives here. avincar

He's an official internet dealer for DLS products.

I can attest to the UP6's quality.They are very natural and warm. IMO They are a good complement to a more detailed/technical amplifier vs. a "warm" tube sound amplifier. I say this because I had a DLS RA30 amp for about eight months before the sub channel blew. I now have a loaner DLS CA41 until my other amp arrives.

According to DLS sources (via Ken) the difference between the different lines of their amps are the Classic (CAxx) and Ultimate (Axx) lines sound more detailed and offer more definition. The Reference (RAxx) series has a "warmer" sound. I found this to be true with regard to the RA amp vs the CA in my experience. I hear more separation and distinctness with the CA41 then I did with the RA30. I actually like the sound of the RA41 better with these components.

The Zapco 1000.4 I have on order is supposed to lean more to the detail sound sound. I'm stoked to see how the UP6s sound with a bump in power and a detail oriented amp. Hope I don't blow them.