Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Crossovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossovers

I did a quick seach and didn't find anything related to this so here goes. I'm replacing the front component speakers and putting in a JL 500/5 to run them, the OEM rears and an Alpine 10" Type R sub. The 6x9s will be removed. I'm planning on using the factory wiring simply because it's a royal pain to work new wires into the doors. Since any new components I get will have a crossover, where do I splice it into the factory wires?

I planned on cutting into the wire harnesses at the trunk and simply splicing my JL speaker outputs right into the outputs from the Bose amp. Can I put the component crossover there, or should I put it at the end in the doors? I think that those speaker wires change color between the Bose amp and the door don't they? What have other people done? Thanks for the help.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are only one pair (as in, two wires) running to each door of the car. Once in the door, this wire splits and goes to the tweeter and woofer. This means you cannot put the crossovers in the trunk as you will have no way of connecting the woofer and tweeter to it, just one or the other.

Your best bet is to put the crossover in the door. Splice into the wire going into the stock woofer. Use this for your input into the crossover. Then run two new wires for your new tweeter and new woofer from the crossover outputs.

The colors for the stock wiring in the door are red and green. I believe green is + and red is -.