Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

V1 for bday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up V1 for bday

so my bday present for my bday present is a V1 (it was a video ipod, but i couldn't upload videos lol)

anywho, i'll be receiving it sometime next week!! whooo-hooo!

i want it hardwired but not sure if I should get the invisicord and Mike's mount...

Old 03-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
um.. that's nice?

it would be helpful if you would tell us what your thought process is... as in, why are you debating mike's mount and invisicord? This way we can go "yeah, those are really good points" or "actually, bla bla bla"

Old 03-16-2006, 03:36 PM
i just didn't want any visible wires and seems like everyone is putting their V1s right under the rear view mirror.

i've seen a couple of pics with Mike's mount and invisicord. looks pretty good.

i want something clean but i know that the V1 has to be up high. so mike's mount and invisicord is my best bet right?

can you notice the V1 from outside when it's night time? i have 15% tint, so i guess it'll hide it a bit right?

thanks for the input!
-WaLLy

Old 03-16-2006, 03:53 PM
yo i just bought the invisicord and will order mikes mount next week...havent yet got the V1 but i'll order it soon....lemme know where u order from...trying to get it for the least amount of $$ which i know is hard w/ the V1...very competitive pricing....

but DEF get invisicord and mount, makes install easier and look professional....look into getting the remote display mounted in the ashtray...perfect fit!!

look at these pics....

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=27

Old 03-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Come on, just get them both you won't regret it. If you don't want anyone to see the detector, it takes about 1.5 seconds to unclip it and take it with you when you leave your car or you can put it on stealth mode when driving (at least that is how it is with my X50).

Last edited by jameyb; 03-16-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by pdjafari
yo i just bought the invisicord and will order mikes mount next week...havent yet got the V1 but i'll order it soon....lemme know where u order from...trying to get it for the least amount of $$ which i know is hard w/ the V1...very competitive pricing....

but DEF get invisicord and mount, makes install easier and look professional....look into getting the remote display mounted in the ashtray...perfect fit!!

look at these pics....

If the detector is mounted right in your sight line with the Mike's Mount, why would anyone mount the remote display where you had to look down and take your eyes off the road to see it? I am not trying to be a smart alec, I would just like to know.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I have a V1 with mike's mount with a remote display on the center of the steering wheel column. I can take a picture if any of you want to see it. I like the remote display because for me, its easier to glance down a little then up and right under the rear view. that's just me. I also hardwired into the fuse box. it looks really clean. the only wire you see is a little section of the cord that sticks out on the side of the detector.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:04 PM
fini could you please take pics of both the mount and the location of your remote display!!??

Old 03-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Fini
I have a V1 with mike's mount with a remote display on the center of the steering wheel column. I can take a picture if any of you want to see it. I like the remote display because for me, its easier to glance down a little then up and right under the rear view. that's just me. I also hardwired into the fuse box. it looks really clean. the only wire you see is a little section of the cord that sticks out on the side of the detector.
Fini, that makes more sense to me than the ashtray because as soon as the detector goes off you will be looking at your speedometer anyway. It makes perfect sense to have the directional arrows there (which I don't have with my X50).

Old 03-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by pdjafari

look at these pics....

I just answered my own question by reading another thread where the pics were originally posted. I now realize you live in a state where detectors are illegal and would need to do a stealth mount.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
v1 group buy anyone? Is this possible?

Old 03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
pdja, in VA and DC where stealth is important, the best way to go is with the Bel 980, which meets or exceeds the V1 in all the tests, and also gives you dark mode (without buying add'l equip like the V1) with a voice option (also about 1/2 the price online). Most people don't need voice. But in an illegal state, it's very important to know the diff between X and Ka while staying dark. The V1's dark mode is not only expensive and another corded unit, but it's very difficult to tell what band you're coming up to in the dark, without dangerously squinting at the remote display. Furthermore, the V1 falsed more than it's competitors in tests. Yes, the arrows may tell you which direction the nearest grocery store door opener is, but I find that unimportant.

Consider the Bel. I've been using it in the MD/DC/VA area for a long time with great results.

This is not a knock against the V1. It's a great unit. I just think there are better, less expensive choices out there, expecially for those looking to conceal in night situations.....

Last edited by DP03; 03-16-2006 at 09:07 PM.