Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Portable Nav Report-Garmin c330

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2006 | 10:17 AM
|
Portable Nav Report-Garmin c330

I have reported on my Garmin StreetPilot c330 portable nav unit previously, but I thought I would give an updated report.
I purchased the unit late last summer after doing a lot of research on it (thanks skeleton cru).
The unit is very portable, it plugs into a 12 V outlet. it can also be used without the plug-in, as it has an internal battery. This is an excellent feature as you can take it into the house and plan your trip and put in all your required destinations ahead of time. This is one feature I really like because when you are on the road you can take it into your hotel room and plan the next days trip on the GPS will relaxing with a cold one.
The unit is preloaded with all of N. America.
It has touch screen.
It has voice prompt. You can program it to give commands in many different languages. The American English voice (I call her Garminella) is very easy to understand, and very clear, it gives you good warnings prior to each turn. When I am travelling it is easy to touch the screen to check your next turning point, you don't have to look at the screen just listen, it will tell you when to turn.
It has pretty good graphics.
When you purchase the unit and register it, you are notified when any updates occur and you can download them free with the included USB driver cd. I have been notified by email of an updated version by email once since the purchase and it was very simple and quick to hook it up to my computer and download the updated version.

I was kind of upset that I hadn't ordered nav in our G35, and I was planning to include it in our next G35, but now I am not sure, this unit has been so nice to use. I have lent the unit to friends when they have gone on trips and they just loved the unit.
Hope I haven't rambled too much.
Wayne

Old 03-18-2006 | 10:38 AM
i would like to see how you have it set up... can you provide some pics... i am thinking about getting one also... can it be interchangable between vehicles???

Old 03-18-2006 | 10:44 AM
i got the same unit for my girlfriend for christmas. right now they have them for $599 at circuit city and works great b/c i have a few cars so i just swap it over if i need it.

the only issue is there are some places that the address does not show up in the system but for the price you really cannot beat it.

Old 03-18-2006 | 01:20 PM
|
Originally Posted by 99CL2G35
i would like to see how you have it set up... can you provide some pics... i am thinking about getting one also... can it be interchangable between vehicles???
I move it from vehicle to vehicle all the time. If you are going to another State and renting a vehcle you can take it with you.
Here are a few pics. I set it in my cubby. It will read in metric or mph.

Attached Thumbnails Portable Nav Report-Garmin c330-garmin-c330.jpg   Portable Nav Report-Garmin c330-gps-imp.jpg   Portable Nav Report-Garmin c330-gps-1.jpg  
Old 03-18-2006 | 02:25 PM
Your Garmin seems to be very similar in features to my Tomtom. These little portable units are actually much nicer than Infiniti's nav, in that my unit has a much better screen (had them side by side when I bought my G) and the touchscreen is SO much more convenient than a joystick.

When I was on the Infiniti lot, the salesperson was showing me the nav. I was actually amazed at how cumbersome it was, and I whipped out my Tomtom. After I showed the unit to him for about 3 minutes, he said "I wouldn't get the Infiniti nav if I were you"

Old 03-18-2006 | 02:27 PM
looks awesome....

Old 03-18-2006 | 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I move it from vehicle to vehicle all the time. If you are going to another State and renting a vehcle you can take it with you.
Looks great.. i think i am going to have to pick one of these up!! thanks Gee35x

Old 03-18-2006 | 03:42 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Picked one up when I was in Cali. last month....
Great little unit, in was invaluable exploring unknown territory

I also have the AVIC-D1 nav in my G, but for the amount I actually use it...
I doubt that I would bother with nav in the future.
The portability of the Garmin is a big plus with 3 different vehicles on the road.

Also, it's easy to pack & use in a rental car when on the road.

Old 03-18-2006 | 03:52 PM
|
Looks great.. i think i am going to have to pick one of these up!! thanks Gee35x
No problem, I'm sure you will like it.

Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Picked one up when I was in Cali. last month....
Great little unit, in was invaluable exploring unknown territory

I also have the AVIC-D1 nav in my G, but for the amount I actually use it...
I doubt that I would bother with nav in the future.
The portability of the Garmin is a big plus with 3 different vehicles on the road.

Also, it's easy to pack & use in a rental car when on the road.
Excellent Ian, I was going to offer you mine to try it out but I guess that's not necessary now.
Wayne

Old 03-18-2006 | 07:28 PM
Garmin has a really hot unit out right now. The Nuvi 350/360. The 360 integrates with Bluetooth, so that may be what replaces my Tomtom down the road. This unit uses a new gps receiver technology that is supposed to be awesome. No loss of signal through Manhatten. How many units can claim that (I lost signal with my Tomtom in downtown Manhatten, like all other units)?

Old 03-19-2006 | 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by DP03
Garmin has a really hot unit out right now. The Nuvi 350/360. The 360 integrates with Bluetooth, so that may be what replaces my Tomtom down the road. This unit uses a new gps receiver technology that is supposed to be awesome. No loss of signal through Manhatten. How many units can claim that (I lost signal with my Tomtom in downtown Manhatten, like all other units)?
+1!!

I have the Nuvi 350 and it is great! I travel quite a bit (flying to the east coast from CA) and it goes everywhere with me. Has a battery that last 4-6 hours and has text-to-speech (says the street name). I have yet to really install it in my G35 since, with the top cubby open, I can just hang it from the folded antennae. With the battery, I don't worry about power either. I bought (and returned) both the Magellan 800 and the Garmin 2720 before finding this keeper!

sd_diver

Old 03-19-2006 | 02:55 AM
Canada, eh?
Premier Member
if you guys are gonna buy gps units, hit up www.gpscity.com they have amazing prices imo. i make instructional videos for gps units, if youd like to know anything let me know.

Old 03-20-2006 | 02:36 PM
+1 on the Nuvi.

If you want to see how I mounted my Nuvi 350, here is the thread with pix.

https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/82457-garmin-nuvi-350-portable-gps.html

Old 03-21-2006 | 11:03 AM
GEE35X how did you mount it in your cubby? Did you use some kind of bracket or does it just sit in there?? How strong is the suction mount for the windshield? Please let me know. Thanks again

Last edited by G Thizzle; 03-21-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2006 | 01:50 PM
|
GEE35X how did you mount it in your cubby? Did you use some kind of bracket or does it just sit in there?? How strong is the suction mount for the windshield? Please let me know. Thanks again
I was going to use the mounting disk in the cubby with the suction disk (that is what a couple of others did on here) Instead I just sit the bracket in the cubby, and I had my wife make up a bean bag that I just sit it in the cubby against the bracket and it has worked very well. It is easy to switch to other vehicles and it does not move around in the cubby. I have never used the suction cup, I have always found a compartment or convenient spot to put it in in other vehicles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Portable Nav Report-Garmin c330