Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Information re: alarms (clifford)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Information re: alarms (clifford)

I would like information regarding aftermarket alarms on our G35 cars (I have the coupe, but I doubt it matters vs. sedan). I am looking at having an aftermarket alarm installed, most likely a Clifford (as I hear excellent things about them), and am wondering what am I in store for.

I am interested in alerting of tampering as well as prevention of entire vehicle theft. I am NOT interested in LoJack, GPS, or other tracking options.

Are there "quirks" that must be considered when putting an aftermarket system into a G35? Will I lose any stock functionality (remote window down, for example?)

And for those familiar with the Clifford line of products, can someone explain the G5 vs. Matrix? The Clifford website sucks, and does little to explain exactly WHAT their products are, let alone why you would want one over another.

With this info. I hope to go to a local shop and work with them to have a system installed. At least this way I go in armed and knowledgeable... so I know if they try and boink me.

Old 03-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, here's my 0.02:

1) G5 vs Matrix: G5 is the continuation of the Clifford systems that were in production when DEI bought Clifford, with ongoing changes for improvement, and with DEI's QC skills and manufacturing experience making the product more reliable than it was in Clifford's last days. Matrix is Viper/Python/Sidewinder HW (PCB, anyway) wearing a Clifford T-shirt, with the better Clifford siren, and a few more installer parts included in the box, and MAYBE some slightly different internal firmware options (not sure about that one) and with remotes that I prefer from a user and durability standpoint. This is not a knock against either.

While I offer Matrix to most customers as being something that most people can easily operate and understand, I would recommend that YOU, amthar, consider G5, with the caveat that you should download the OM and IM and read them thoroughly first. Most people won't ever try to take advantage of what the G5 can do. Personally, I'd look at the Concept unit.

2) Whichever system you get, I would use:

- 507M new digital tilt sensor

- impact AND glass break (prox/radar is a waste of time)

- I would do starter kill and clutch kill with two seperate hidden relays, and be prepared to pay for this to look stock and be hidden.

- hood

- 513T interior piezo siren

- 520T backup battery system

- With G5, reprogram the PlainView valet. With Matrix, reprogram the Ghost Switch.

- I'd do horn honk, and if you can get the installer to do it, I'd do horn honk only when the door is open and the alarm is triggering.

- make sure that all the wiring AND the module are somewhere that no one is going to readily find and cut/unplug. Above the brake pedal is out.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:15 PM
This is the type of info I was looking for, thanks, and thanks for the kind words in your confidence in my non-newbieness Why do you personally recommend the Concept model, and would you recommend it over the G5 (for me)?

With GeeMan's car in mind, where would you have tried to locate the wiring and control unit? Is the trunk a common place? (thinking under the passenger-side black floor support where the spare tire tools are).

And can you post or PM me a rough idea of the costs associated with such an install? Remember, rough, not asking you to spend your time with an itemized list of costs Thanks

Old 03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Sorry, I was unclear - the Concept (Concept 450? I forget) IS one of the G5 models.

The trunk is too far to run the wiring and is not too hard to get to either... remind me to tell you the story of the EE who put his alarm brain in the R deck, accidentally punctured his drip rail with a screw, and had his alarm fill with water.

I will get back to you with a list... but I have to tell you that the kind of work we like to do takes a lot longer than regular slam installs IF the installer isn't thinking along those lines already.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Ok, here's a question for you, ele_dude. Whats the difficulty level of an alarm install, done right? In other words, hidden wiring, good connections to the various sensors needed, etc... You should have a pretty good idea of mine and amthars level of expertise (advanced amateur, not pro level, but pretty good nonetheless, based on both a complete re-wiring of the audio system, and a CarPC install) and would you recommend someone with my level of experience do it ourself, or pay someone to do it?

Thanks
Dave

Old 03-20-2006, 03:35 PM
I was thinking the same thing. My conclusion (we'll see what el_ says) is that the sensors would not be terribly difficult (aside from making sure of proper placement and mounting) considering it seems to be just a matter of running wires to a control unit.

The clutch and starter kills sound scary, however

Old 03-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I'd really rather not mess those up, and not be able to start my car. On the other hand, if I do the work, I know all the connections will be soldered and with heat shrink tubing, rather than just crimped in place.

Dave

Old 03-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at circuit city and install remote starts and id def recommend getting someone you know whos experienced do it for you or for less because any retail installer will rape you in a nice setup for the G. Let me know if you need any help

Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Concept 450 install guide linked (found via google- looks like it's in a "login" secure section of a Directed website, but google found it).

user guide too

http://www.rtpnet.com/car/lib/pdf/co...stallguide.pdf
http://www.rtpnet.com/car/lib/pdf/co...wnersguide.pdf

Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 PM
OK, no offense meant to anyone, but working at Circuit is NOT any kind of guarantee at all that you should work on a car.

Circuit doesn't have good controls over training or hiring for installers. I will now be attacked by CC installers who, when questioned, will admit that there are hack installers at CC, but that THEY aren't any of those guys... WELL, WE CAN'T TELL WHICH YOU ARE OVER THE INTERNET! Best course is to assume that a CC installer is a hack until proven wrong.

(BTW, cc install-a$$wipe, retail installers charging for their work is not "rape", thank you very much. Rape is something being shoved inside your body against your will. Paying for installation is called a "transaction for services rendered", and is not wrong. )

As far as how hard it is... well.

If you are good at car disassembly, and you are good at using a voltmeter (most installers aren't) in order to make SURE that the wire you find on the sheet is the right wire for your car (don't EVER just connect to a wire because someone told you to - verify somehow that the wire behaves the way it's suppsed to, and that usually takes a voltmeter), and you are good at looming up wiring and harnessing to make it look like OEM, and you are willing to spend a few days or an entire weekend on it, and you are willing to read the manual and look at the wiring diagram for the car first aned make an entire plan...

Then you can do a better install than a pro usually has time to do.

But only if...

Old 03-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll second that. Not that it makes any difference to you what I say, but I did install my own G4 a few years back. I got it done and everything worked, but it was a big pain. I consider myself fairly handy w/ electronics and mechanical stuff. I did everything on my previous car myself (including rebuilding the engine, turbo, built the megasquirt computer, etc, etc). The alarm installation (to me at least) was one of the most tedious parts of the whole thing. There are so many wires to connect and run to different places and hide. Plus, I would check and recheck and recheck to make sure I was tapping the correct wire. I had the service manual and the full installation guide, voltmeter, and all the tools but it's best to measure twice and cut once as they say. I'm an engineer as well.

It can be done, but I think next time I'll pay someone to do it as it wasn't worth my time and headache to complete. Just my 2 cents though.

Originally Posted by el_duderino
OK, no offense meant to anyone, but working at Circuit is NOT any kind of guarantee at all that you should work on a car.

Circuit doesn't have good controls over training or hiring for installers. I will now be attacked by CC installers who, when questioned, will admit that there are hack installers at CC, but that THEY aren't any of those guys... WELL, WE CAN'T TELL WHICH YOU ARE OVER THE INTERNET! Best course is to assume that a CC installer is a hack until proven wrong.

(BTW, cc install-a$$wipe, retail installers charging for their work is not "rape", thank you very much. Rape is something being shoved inside your body against your will. Paying for installation is called a "transaction for services rendered", and is not wrong. )

As far as how hard it is... well.

If you are good at car disassembly, and you are good at using a voltmeter (most installers aren't) in order to make SURE that the wire you find on the sheet is the right wire for your car (don't EVER just connect to a wire because someone told you to - verify somehow that the wire behaves the way it's suppsed to, and that usually takes a voltmeter), and you are good at looming up wiring and harnessing to make it look like OEM, and you are willing to spend a few days or an entire weekend on it, and you are willing to read the manual and look at the wiring diagram for the car first aned make an entire plan...

Then you can do a better install than a pro usually has time to do.

But only if...

Old 03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
From reading the install guide, I find my knowledge mostly lacking in the area of how the G35 specifically works. For example the door locking/unlocking defines several different types of locking systems (A, B, C, reverse polarity, etc). It seems a lot of doing such an install myself would involve exactly what you said, reading the G35 service manual to figure out where is the related wiring and probing with the voltmeter (and a paperclip!) to figure out how the little electrons actually behave on said wires.

It does sound very fascinating and do-able (always two words that are the death of me) if I don't rush anything. Especially with the overarching guidance from such knowledgeable people on here when it comes to car electronics (such as el_duderino, kpierson and caelric just to name a few).

Plus, installing it myself would give me a much better grasp on the alarm system setup when it comes to working on my other "side" project re: carPC integration.

Plus this would make for one he11 of a sweet DIY

Last edited by amthar; 03-20-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
From reading the install guide, I find my knowledge mostly lacking in the area of how the G35 specifically works.
Along with most installers out there. So,what I recommend is reading the wiring diagram ALONG WITH the DEI cheat sheet from Directtechs or TechSoft or whatever they call it nowadays.

Not sure how you'd get someone to send that to you though....

Especially not if you send an email to g35driver at avincar.com...

Old 03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-Infiniti-Alarm-Remote-Start-Wiring-Install-CD_W0QQitemZ5859417963QQcategoryZ50554QQcmdZViewItem
interesting, might pick that up just to read through as a piece of reference.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by amthar
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-Infiniti-...QQcmdZViewItem

interesting, might pick that up just to read through as a piece of reference.

Well, can't go too far wrong for only $14.

And by the way, I'll be the one asking you questions, not the other way around!

I really am leaning towards doing the alarm install myself, though. I'll think about it some more, and maybe that will be my next G35 project, since I am still waiting for JWT to get their TT kit CARB certified!

And el_dude, thanks for all the help. You've been great, and a pleasant change from other installers I have dealt with, which is why I currently do most of the install work on my car myself. Don't take this wrong; all audio installers are not bad, just most of the ones (as few as that is) that I have dealt with. Maybe next time I will find someone as competent and helpful as you to give my business to.

Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Information re: alarms (clifford)