Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

PAC AAI-NIS2 iPod Adapter Installation Guide & 05+ Dash Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-05-2011 | 02:20 AM
yea.. my brother in law has an 03 and followed this. its the same.

Old 04-25-2011 | 03:03 PM
I tried doing a search on this and wasn't able to find anything so I have a question about this. I got this installed and it works great...couldn't ask for anything more. The ONLY issue I'm having is that sometimes it doesn't pick it up right away when I turn on my radio so I have to turn the radio off and then on again....then it will recognize it.

Any possible issues I'm not aware of or is this just a glitch with it?

Old 04-26-2011 | 09:28 PM
Thanks for the great write up. It helped me a lot to get my radio pulled out so I can send it out to get repaired.

But I ran into a small problem. I Put my dash backtogether once I took the radio/cd player out because I will still be driving it some. Now my HVAC buttons dont work, but the are lit up. I only plugged one plug back in because the rest plug into the radio.

Is this normal for the HVAC buttons not to work with the radio uninstalled or did I not plug something in?

Old 05-12-2011 | 01:18 PM
Thanks for the awesome DIY! Hooked the aPAC-NIS1 up in about an hour, but I have a bit of a problem.

I'm just using the 3.5mm jack to listen to my driod phone. Installed everything and put the Sat 1 to Aux 1. Music came through speakers for about 1-2 sec, then turned off. If i hit the seek buttons, it'll change to channel 002 and play music again for about a sec then no more. It seems to only pass through the sound when i press buttons, then quits. I've even tried it while driving around thinking that I just wasn't getting a satellite signal, but nothing changed.

I've got an '05 BOSE w/ sat, although I don't have a sirius subscription, so I don't actually listen to sat radio.

Anybody have any ideas why this is happening? This is making no sense.

EDIT: After a couple calls to PAC tech support, I finally have it working. Even though the manual says to keep all dip switches off, for the '05 dip switch 2 needs to be down. Second, apparently this model is NOT compatible with our stock sat radio. I had to unhook the sat receiver to keep it from interfering with the audio signal from my phone. No loss to me, since I didn't have a sirius subscription, but others might like to know.

Last edited by Willystylee; 05-12-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2011 | 06:11 PM
had been looking at the DIY for about a month lol.. went ahead and used it this morning.. flawless.. thanks for the post..

Old 06-01-2011 | 12:25 AM
So I was going to buy this, but the seller sent me the manual and it says it only works on 04-07 G35's?

Old 06-22-2011 | 02:40 PM
Noob tips for apac-nis1 install in g35 coupe

Thanks for the great tutorial. I just installed the apac-nis1 in an '06 g35 coupe with a Bose sound system.

I wasn't sure if the apac-nis1 would work with my head unit because I do not have a dedicated satellite button. Once the apac-nis1 is hooked up the "radio" button magically gets a new toggle option (am -> fm1 -> fm2 -> auxilary1 -> auxiliary 2 -> am).

A few other apac-nis1 installation tips:

1: The OEM wiring harness clips are super tight in the back of the stereo. I needed to use two flathead screwdrivers to get the clips out (one to push the little tab on the bottom of the clip and the other to gently pry the clip out).

2: When I re-connected the battery for the first time I instantly pushed the "Radio" button in anticipation of seeing the "auxiliary" display. However, the system needs to think for a few minutes before it recognizes the aux input. To correct the issue I disconnected/reconnected power, went and drank a beer, and then hit the "Radio" button (everything worked).

3: All four dip switches on the apac-nis1 were set to "off" in the working configuration. Apparently these switched need to be set differently for certain cars (Maximas?)

4: I cleaned all of the panels that were removed during the install with Armor All type cleaner (might as well)

5: I didn't have a magnetic screwdriver available, but I used one of those magnets on a flexy stick thingies to make sure none of the screws fell into the dashboard. If you lost one down there it might disappear forever.

6: The screws are sized differently. Be sure to label where each of the removed screws came from during the project.

7: The panel above the clock came up by pulling it straight back. There’s two primary clips that need to release to get this panel out. It takes a lot of force to get panel off, avoid trying to twist or bend the panel, just go straight back towards your face.

8: You can test the hookup before reassembling the dashboard.

9: Before reconnecting the battery, spray some battery cleaner and protector on the terminal.

10: Its worth doing this project yourself. You'll save $100+ and learn a lot about how your G35 is put together. I panicked for a minute when I realized my dashboard was in pieces… Take a deep breath and relax; everything comes apart and goes together in a neat, logical fashion.

I know these are kind of stupid tips to most of the pros on here, but if you're like me and kind of a noob, these may be helpful.

The whole project took me about three hours (I know... I suck), but take your time and have fun with it. The apac-nis1 sounds great in my car. I was worried a bit about engine whine bleeding through the speakers, but so far no issues.

Old 07-07-2011 | 10:04 PM
hey, kinda a dumb question but im curious to the quality on sound. i had an fm ipod thing hooked up along time ago that tied into my fm antenna. I was told it would be very good quality, none the less it just sounds like a radio station -_-. 130$ later and ive never used it and have always been using mp3 cds. My deck finally shittered out on me using cds(always says push eject) and instead of dropping over a grand on a dd set up i was wondering if this is going to have the same quality as cd?05 coupe non nav/sat

Old 07-08-2011 | 12:27 AM
@WinnipgG35 -
The sound quality of the apac-nis1 is pretty good. It is easily several notches better than using one of those FM modulator deals that plug into the cigarette lighter (those are all total crap in my experience).

I use an HTC Android phone to play audio through the 3.5mm jack provided by the apac-nis1 (Pandora & mp3s). The only discernible difference to me is the full-volume loudness, but not the sound quality.

I think the Bose volume control goes up to 31; the mobile phone at full volume with the Bose at 31 is about as loud as a CD at 29 or 28. I don't typically play music at anywhere that level so this isn't a big deal for me.

For me, $75 for the apac-nis1 beats spending $500+ on an aftermarket head unit with an auxiliary input.

Old 07-16-2011 | 10:16 AM
Does anyone have a tip to getting the piece that is above the clock back in? It slides in okay buck I can't get the clips back in that hold it secure. It still stays in there as it is but doesn't like right.

Old 08-11-2011 | 10:09 PM
Very helpful. Thanks so much

Old 08-30-2011 | 09:25 AM
Exclamation

I have a 05 g35 coupe bose system, not sure if it has sirius in it?? I click the radio button but just get fm, fm2, and am. Was going to buy the PAC AAI-NIS2 but i keep reading once its hooked up you have to access your ipod through the sirius station? Just want to make sure i get all the facts before i spend money on this. And does anyone have a preference on the cable i should get? rca to ipod?

Old 08-30-2011 | 06:22 PM
05 and above already comes with pre installed sat radio on them. One you install the unit, an option will show up for SAT on your radio button. So go ahead and buy it, its so worth ut. Best mod ive done to my car hands down.

The following users liked this post:
Arrchie (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011 | 07:35 PM
Awesome thanks! Did you need to buy anything else besides the pac? i know you need rca to jack or the 40 pin ipod connection. Just want no surprises when this comes in. Or did you need any antenna adapters?

Last edited by Arrchie; 09-01-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2011 | 10:38 PM
So I've been looking at adding an iPod connection so I can listen to my music on my iPhone. But can't I just install the PAC AAI-NIS2 and the RCA y cable? I'm thinking that I'd only lose the charging feature but possibly keep the steering wheel controls.

Is that right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: PAC AAI-NIS2 iPod Adapter Installation Guide & 05+ Dash Removal