Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II Grand-Am Cup, JGTC , Procar SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures

First AutoX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking First AutoX

So I went to my first AutoX at the WNY division of the SCCA last weekend. I have to say it was the best time I've ever had in my car. The best part was that it's all legal so I don't have to worry about a thing! I'll definitely be doing this for years to come.

I know they're in a different class than me for a reason, but do you guys think I'll ever be able to keep up with the WRX STI's stock vs. stock? I also noticed the G is really lacking in torque under 3,500 rpms or so. Are there any mods I could get under $1,000 that would pump up the torque in the low end a little bit for all those tight corners?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Well from my experience doing autox is that and STI is a way better car for this stuff than a G. But after saying that the one thing I've learned more than anything from doing this is that it is all down to the driver. I have beaten cars I should not have and been killed by cars that shouldn't have! It's all down to the driver. Personally I find my car has more than enough torque for any course I've done so far. Also how slow of a corner is it that your below 3500 rpms? If your that low shift down :P

Old 08-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Well I'm always in 2nd and I've found that sometimes when I shift down to 1st from 2nd that there's a bit of a lag (manual mode on 5AT) so I avoid it. I took it to the dealer and they told me that their computer said there's nothing wrong with it so I'm out of luck...

Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
should have gotten manual.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by MikeYo
should have gotten manual.
That's constructive...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the sea of cones. Some people think it's lame, most think it's hella fun.
To me it is challenging, you have about 40 seconds or so to get **** right; in National or Divisional Levels, you only have 3 chances per day.

Anyway, autoX is about car handling, maneuverability, and driver's skill. So when you compare a STi to G35, the lighter car is usually a easier car to go fast with.
Not to mention stock STi are in A-stock class, and stock G35 are in F-stock class. With competent experienced driver, STi will always a faster car in autoX or full road course.

About your comments said G35 being lack of torque below 3500rpm etc. It's not the car, it's how well you prepare to run the course and how you position your car for the next element; in the other word, how you "open the door" for the next gate/slalom/lane changes etc.
I wouldn't worry too much about being competitive right now, if u like the sport, spend more time on actual track time first. Don't throw money into the car yet because it is not the car, it's you. I can guaranteed you there are plenty of performance left in your car waiting for you to un-tap.

Keep going to your regional events, pretty soon you will be hook and picking up speed really fast. Remember it is all about fun, fun, and fun. Seat time can make you go faster than any go-fast parts out there

Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by gunluvS14
Keep going to your regional events, pretty soon you will be hook and picking up speed really fast. Remember it is all about fun, fun, and fun. Seat time can make you go faster than any go-fast parts out there
So very true!

I still down shift into first when needed on the course. I just find that you need to shift into first about a second or half a second sooner than you would if you were driving manual. Just have to get used to the timing I find. But down shifting into first in the really slow corners will make a big difference on how fast you can get out! I find second gear on the autos really long!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the reply Gunluv. When I started they didn't know where to put me for sure so they put me in B-Stock with some BMW Z's and such.

EDIT: I looked in the 2009 SCCA rules and it looks like I'm actually in D-Stock since I'm a sedan. Coupes are in F-Stock like you said, though. I think I'll be running virtually by myself in my local division I believe...

I don't really plan on putting much, if any, money into performance parts mostly since I'm saving up to buy a summer car that I'll end up tracking instead of the G (unless there was something relatively affordable that would net some noticeable gains on the track?). I can tell my car has a lot more potential for better times so I'm really looking forward to just becoming a better driver to get there.

I still down shift into first when needed on the course. I just find that you need to shift into first about a second or half a second sooner than you would if you were driving manual. Just have to get used to the timing I find. But down shifting into first in the really slow corners will make a big difference on how fast you can get out! I find second gear on the autos really long!
That's a good thought. I'll try to see if I can learn how to shift a little earlier coming out of slow turns to do that. If I do it too early though I'll get a bunch of trans braking...

Do you guys have any way of practicing or any other place to go when there isn't an event? My division only runs once a month and that really isn't enough. I'd hate to drive 2-3 hours to the next division over every week just to get a bi-weekly set of 3 runs. 3 runs really leaves you wanting more !

Last edited by theessence136; 08-05-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The suggestions by gunluv are spot on. I did also start with AutoX for several years. The real benefit there is you get to know where your limits are, just at the edge of losing control and still carrying momentum to not lose time on a course. In other words, smoothness anywhere on the track. Now, moving on to road courses for track days, the same techniques apply (check out my braking points, apexes, etc. running my STi) and you'll have tons more confidence knowing the limits you learned on AutoX. Go for as many events as you can, but as soon as I started tracking, the actual cost over the whole day as far as track time is actually cheaper, plus you get to run on actual big-time race courses

a couple of my in-cams, enjoy:
with Ford GT action:
with Porsche GT3 action:
Buttonwillow traffic:

Last edited by aozmaxed; 08-07-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 AM
What part of it made tracking cheaper? I end up paying about $40 per day to autox plus about $5 for food / drinks while I'm there. Don't track days cost a couple hundred per day? How much track time do you get on track days compared to autox?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Its very much driver dependent. But any Stock STI vs any Stock G with equal drivers, STi will win the Autox every single time - by alot.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by theessence136
What part of it made tracking cheaper? I end up paying about $40 per day to autox plus about $5 for food / drinks while I'm there. Don't track days cost a couple hundred per day? How much track time do you get on track days compared to autox?
Track days in my area cost somewhere between $150-280 depending on the track (Cali Auto Club Speedway is the expensive one, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow at the lower end). You get 4 or 5, 20-25 min sessions, that's minutes not seconds of runs! Plus you have to work on AutoX as far as I know still. Gotta compute that difference of actual track time.

Still, though, the benefits of AutoX is super for car control, finding those limits. You can then take what you learned to the track, because can't make too many mistakes there with higher speeds . Go do both, you really can't lose.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Wow, if you get that much track time at the track days then $ / min it's definitely cheaper to go to a real track! From going to an AutoX it makes me realize the potential of my car, and how much I really have to learn about it still. I think I'll get maybe a season of AutoX under my belt so that I'm more comfortable with my car before I push it to the limits with no speed limitations. I'd hate myself if I wrecked my baby due to being ill-prepared... I also have to take into account that there's no tracks in my immediate area (Jamestown, NY) so I'll be in for quite a drive to get out to a track.

By the way, those cam videos make running a real track look pretty awesome! You run some pretty good lines too. You must have been doing this for awhile. I can't wait to be able to do that even at AutoX speeds.

Did I see those people you were passing wave you by? What's up with that?

Old 08-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by theessence136
Did I see those people you were passing wave you by? What's up with that?
Great question! That's part of the safety of an organized track day. There are different run groups. Each run group except for the highest open-passing group requires a point-by, either at every section, in corners only, depends on the group level. This ensures the person you're passing sees you and lifts to let you pass. Safety issue is enforced here. You might notice on some of my runs there were no point-bys, those were in the 'red' or open-passing group, and some allow no point-bys on straights, intermediate groups. It depends. Most spins and offs we've seen so far were not from car-to-car contact but own mistakes.

Stick with AutoX for a while, can't go wrong there. Don't change too many things on car set up at once. Know what each mod does see what's best for you. It's much more driver than parts that gets best times.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the replies all! It's been very helpful.

Happy driving!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First AutoX