DIY: Akebono BBK Installation on 03-07 G/Z

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by GreySky
Hey guys.....I am pissed and I need your help. I have been trying to find a company to make me either the Akebono stickers or the Stencils for the Akebono BBK and either get, "Sorry we cannot reproduce copyrighted logos" or in the case of vinyldecals.com they had them literally last week and when I sent them a message the response I got was "Sorry we are no longer offering those decals." WTF!!!
ANYONE have suggestions on where to get these?
Hopefully you have found a set at this point, but if you haven't i got mine from Tunerz Store (a vendor on here) they only cost $15 and they look great.

http://www.tunerzstore.com/index.php...kebono%20decal

The following users liked this post:
GreySky (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogee
Hopefully you have found a set at this point, but if you haven't i got mine from Tunerz Store (a vendor on here) they only cost $15 and they look great.

http://www.tunerzstore.com/index.php...kebono%20decal
Thanx Buddy I actually just purchased some off ebay just 2 days ago for $8.99 w/ free shipping....we'll see how they work as I just need them for stencils basically. If they are crap then Ill buy the ones you suggested.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by GreySky
Thanx Buddy I actually just purchased some off ebay just 2 days ago for $8.99 w/ free shipping....we'll see how they work as I just need them for stencils basically. If they are crap then Ill buy the ones you suggested.
Well.......I received the ones I got from Ebay. These DO NOT fit so it looks like I am going to order them from your recommendation . http://www.tunerzstore.com/index.php...kebono%20decal

Thanx again !!!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts
No problem! Word to the wise the stickers for the rears have NO extra room on either side so be careful when laying the sticker down because it is almost impossible to reposition. I used masking tape to create a "fake" sticker the size of the one that you get so you can repostion it and get the fitment perfect. Once your "fake" sticker is perfectly centered, put masking tape all around the edges (of the fake sticker) then peel off the fake sticker that you created with the masking tape. So you are left with a square of exposed paint (perfectly centered) on the caliper surrounded by masking tape. Then simply lay your sticker down in the exposed area and peel that shiit off. This makes sense in my mind but let me know if i can be more clear. Goodluck! Post Pics

The following 2 users liked this post by Ogee:
GreySky (07-12-2013), TunerMax (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the front caliper bracket/adapter work with spc shim kit?

Old 07-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Received 357 Likes on 258 Posts
^No.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this thread rocks.. very helpful info.. keep up the good job guys...

Old 07-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by The_Dr
I have found 2 ways of installing Plate/Bracket.
So...What is the proper way of installing it?

Figure A.

From Dealer. The Plate/Bracket hooks are facing upwards. Highlighted in the red box.

Figure B.

From Forums. As you can see it looks the like Plate/Bracket is inverse from figure A. And the hooks are facing downwards

So What is the proper installation?
Bother the diagram and photo are correct. I just did this and what is important are the side tabs that hold the pads inward toward the rotors preventing them from traveling to far outward. Yes it is hard to push the pins in but that is the whole purpose it relies on the sprung retention. Inverted the 4 prongs at each corner do not align correctly
Both diagram and photo are correct. I just did these and what is important are the side tabs that hold the pads in preventing them from moving further outward.

Last edited by DRob; 07-25-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 AM
I dunno dude, IMO, That picture is WRONG. The tapered edge on all 4 corners of the shim are intended to maintain force pushing the pads AWAY from the rotor.

The calipers will naturally keep the pads from retracting too much, but you need something to help keep the pads from dragging on the rotors, the shim is intended to help with that. The tabs in the center confuse.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but if the shim is installed as pictured above, when the pads start wearing the shim will be in the way of the pads compressing into the rotor, causing binding and probably bending the shim and causing all kinds of issues.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 AM
If you look closely at the OEM picture, it shows the place where the pin goes through OPEN at the top. The picture shown on the bottom is wrong, according to that, and according to my suspicions.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:38 AM
What's confusing is the two retainers look different. The OEM diagram has one tab on each side while the photo has two tabs. I have mine like the photo. The other way around the four corner tabs do not fit properly inside the caliper.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:28 AM
Problem solved found this link. http://www.infinitig37.com/g37-change-brake-pads.html

Looks like I have to flip them the other way.

TunerMax (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Brakes

HEY all.....
Just wanted to give you all some info for doing the BBK swap on the G35's. My service writer Eric @ Infinity of Scottsdale gave me the name of this place that makes some KILLER brackets for the front calipers.

https://fueledracing.com/products_detail.php?itemID=309

Check 'em out. I just got off the phone with the owner Todd. Super cool guy !!!

GOOD LUCK ALL :-)

Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 PM
that say's it's for the S chassis, is it the same? If so that's great, because the CZP ones are kind of crappy

GreySky (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by TunerMax
that say's it's for the S chassis, is it the same? If so that's great, because the CZP ones are kind of crappy
I called him and asked specifically if this would work with the G35 and Akebono BBK. "Todd" said yes! When I get my coin together Ima gonna buy 'em.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Akebono BBK Installation on 03-07 G/Z