G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok so which part needs replacing to stop the creaking?

Number 9 or number 11? in this illustration:

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/part...layCatalogid=0

I was also going to buy the polyurethane bushings for 58 bucks but I was told it costs around 300 to get them pressed in.. wtf?

Last edited by officerdbag; 02-24-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by officerdbag
Ok so which part needs replacing to stop the creaking?

Number 9 or number 11? in this illustration:

http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/part...layCatalogid=0

I was also going to buy the polyurethane bushings for 58 bucks but I was told it costs around 300 to get them pressed in.. wtf?
its the inside bushing in number 9...

however, some people report problems with the lower control arm (transverse link #11) as well.

You can get both bushings... the compression rod bushing (for #9) is about $20 from Riverside Infiniti... the transverse link nismo version is $50 (iirc) from Performance Nissan aka MyNismo

the compression rods are the ones that get pressed in - shouldn't cost anywhere close to 300 though... its a 10-15 min job (I paid $30 for 2 I think)

the transverse link bushing doesnt need to be pressed...

Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank you for the informative reply!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushing Replacement Cost

I have 2004 RwD G35 Sedan with approx. 66K miles on it and while visiting Miller Infiniti @ Van Nuys, CA for oil change, they told me that they found my compression rod cracked that they would recommend replacing bushings on compression rods.

Their estimate was about $800 ($200 parts). Is this a reasonable fee to replace bushings? How hard is it to replace bushings on this car? Is it something that ordinary person can do? I used to replace brake pads and did my own oil changes but nothing major.

They also told me that they found engine oil leak and that they will have to charge me $150 just to find out where the leak is from and what the cause is.
Was this a reasonable charge for this type of problem as well?

Anyone's help would be highly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by bslee817
I have 2004 RwD G35 Sedan with approx. 66K miles on it and while visiting Miller Infiniti @ Van Nuys, CA for oil change, they told me that they found my compression rod cracked that they would recommend replacing bushings on compression rods.

Their estimate was about $800 ($200 parts). Is this a reasonable fee to replace bushings? How hard is it to replace bushings on this car? Is it something that ordinary person can do? I used to replace brake pads and did my own oil changes but nothing major.

They also told me that they found engine oil leak and that they will have to charge me $150 just to find out where the leak is from and what the cause is.
Was this a reasonable charge for this type of problem as well?

Anyone's help would be highly appreciated.
Hell no way too high. Run away from them quickly. Go to a trusted shop.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Fo SHO!.. that WAY too much for what they're doing.. dang!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I have same problem (05 G35 Coupe) please anyone. I want to know how you replaced the compression rod. I will be changing them soon.
Do I need to remove the cross arm underneath the compression rod (where the rod is mounted), how do I take it out.

Pictures will be very helpful.

Thank You

Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Hi, same problem with my car. Loud, deep "double thud" noises heard while going over bumps at slow to mod. speed . Started about 6 weeks ago and now is much worse. Worse on the drivers front, but audible on both sides. ( sounds like the wheel is going to fall off). I've got a 2003 6MT sedan/ sport package w/ 83000 miles,( which I purchased new from Infiniti of North Olmsted) . Both of the front compression rods were replaced under warranty in April 2007, at 45,791 miles and I thought that was it. Now, this problem is back again in less than 3 years and 40,000 miles. I took the car in to the local Nissan dealer,& they diagnosed Bad comp rods. So I call up Infiniti of Bedford in (CLEVELAND, OHIO) to see what can be done about this recurrent problem, and they say to bring it in for a look. I go up there and tell the service manager about the history with this problem, and hope they are going to Work something out on the repair cost since this is the second time for the same problem. I mean , aren't these parts good for more than 3 years? I was hoping that they would at least offer to split the cost of the parts/ labor. They told me in no uncertain terms that " there was no "GOODWILL " left with my vehicle. I guess that they were upset that the gave me a new " LONG BLOCK" last year because of an excessive oil consumption issue. Of course at that time, I also had them replace the clutch components, engine belts/ hoses, rear end/ trany fluid. ( AT MY EXPENSE of about $1700.) Yet they still wanted to charge me $120/ 30 to find out the problem. I told them to forget it, and to change the oil and complete an alignement insted. (I bought drivers side comp. rod from them and will have my Nissan dealer do the work.) What is up the Infiniti/ NIssan ? Their parts and cars used to have very good longevity? I "ve exclusively driven Nissan products since 1988, ( 1988 Sentra, 1993 Altima SE, 4 Maximas, 91' SE 93'SE, 95, 2000 SE) and Ive never had problems like the ones with this Infiniti. What's up with Roger Penske's dealerships,? Not very worried about taking care of possible repeat business? Anyway, How many other owners have had to correct this problem several times? It would be interesting to find out

Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Hope

Originally Posted by jefeuer
Hi, same problem with my car. Loud, deep "double thud" noises heard while going over bumps at slow to mod. speed . Started about 6 weeks ago and now is much worse. Worse on the drivers front, but audible on both sides. ( sounds like the wheel is going to fall off). I've got a 2003 6MT sedan/ sport package w/ 83000 miles,( which I purchased new from Infiniti of North Olmsted) . Both of the front compression rods were replaced under warranty in April 2007, at 45,791 miles and I thought that was it. Now, this problem is back again in less than 3 years and 40,000 miles. I took the car in to the local Nissan dealer,& they diagnosed Bad comp rods. So I call up Infiniti of Bedford in (CLEVELAND, OHIO) to see what can be done about this recurrent problem, and they say to bring it in for a look. I go up there and tell the service manager about the history with this problem, and hope they are going to Work something out on the repair cost since this is the second time for the same problem. I mean , aren't these parts good for more than 3 years? I was hoping that they would at least offer to split the cost of the parts/ labor. They told me in no uncertain terms that " there was no "GOODWILL " left with my vehicle. I guess that they were upset that the gave me a new " LONG BLOCK" last year because of an excessive oil consumption issue. Of course at that time, I also had them replace the clutch components, engine belts/ hoses, rear end/ trany fluid. ( AT MY EXPENSE of about $1700.) Yet they still wanted to charge me $120/ 30 to find out the problem. I told them to forget it, and to change the oil and complete an alignement insted. (I bought drivers side comp. rod from them and will have my Nissan dealer do the work.) What is up the Infiniti/ NIssan ? Their parts and cars used to have very good longevity? I "ve exclusively driven Nissan products since 1988, ( 1988 Sentra, 1993 Altima SE, 4 Maximas, 91' SE 93'SE, 95, 2000 SE) and Ive never had problems like the ones with this Infiniti. What's up with Roger Penske's dealerships,? Not very worried about taking care of possible repeat business? Anyway, How many other owners have had to correct this problem several times? It would be interesting to find out
hey buddy, I honestly have yet to have my issues fixed completely. I really am discouraged to take it back for a 4th time in the past 2 months, its becoming a head ache thinking about it. However they partly quieted the noise, they replaced the front sway bar bushings or something... but was not the only "smoking gun" as some say. My car continues to pop & knock constantly under slowing down hitting uneven surfaces and going over bumps, ever since the last time i picked it up from Infiniti. It is frustrating to have warranty and they have no clue how to fix these issues. I am writing a letter to Infiniti hoping to address my concerns on my car, it is a nice, pretty car and it is currently getting painted but I'd like it to feel like a luxury car again if at all possible. I still have hope that they can figure this issue out...I think all that's left to check is what... the UCA bushings? I should put it on a lift and see what else it could be but man some days it really feels as my sub-frame is going drive off from underneath me.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
guess this is a common problem

So I went into the stealership today for a tranny drain and fill. The guy was trying to sell me the 30k maintenance package when I told him I wasn't sure if the previous owner did anything and no one had even looked at the car yet. Anyway to be short I got the feeling the guy didn't really know much (tells me you can't change the rear diff because its sealed then after asking someone else says they charge 140 for it).
When they are done with the multi point inspection the guy tells me my right compression rod is worn and need replacement. He wants 360 for compression rods for both left and right side. And after that he says a wheel alignment is necessary which will cost another 300 and 400 in labor total Car has almost 69k miles. Does this sound legit? And are there any options besides the stealership for this?
btw theres no creeking or squeeking. Car runs great and just plan on keeping it this way.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by BonBG35
So I went into the stealership today for a tranny drain and fill. The guy was trying to sell me the 30k maintenance package when I told him I wasn't sure if the previous owner did anything and no one had even looked at the car yet. Anyway to be short I got the feeling the guy didn't really know much (tells me you can't change the rear diff because its sealed then after asking someone else says they charge 140 for it).
When they are done with the multi point inspection the guy tells me my right compression rod is worn and need replacement. He wants 360 for compression rods for both left and right side. And after that he says a wheel alignment is necessary which will cost another 300 and 400 in labor total Car has almost 69k miles. Does this sound legit? And are there any options besides the stealership for this?
btw theres no creeking or squeeking. Car runs great and just plan on keeping it this way.
If it isn't creaking, I wouldn't replace it. However, I would also get a second opinion at an indy shop rather than going to the dealer.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Iv'e got the creak and squeak over bumps but I've inspected my bushings and haven't noticed anything obvious

Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Just got my compression rod bushings replaced at the dealer under (extended) warranty at 31K miles and 5.5 years, though I had not previously noticed any noises or clunking, etc.

My service writeup said:

"Tech found compression rod bushings split and blown out...
found comp rods severely torn...
Replaced comp rod bushings per TSB"

Parts used were "CUSH-COMPR ROD-54570-AC70A" and the dealer parts price was $17.58 each and the labor total was $198 (all covered under warranty). That's the 2WD part #, per the TSB, BTW. The TSB calls for 1.8 hrs of labor for both sides, and 1.4 hrs for 1 side.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM
If it isn't creaking, I wouldn't replace it. However, I would also get a second opinion at an indy shop rather than going to the dealer.
thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna get them checked out somewhere else.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cost for one front compression strut + installation at dealer
54469-AC70F Compression Rod $252.34
40038-AL51A Stopper Bolt $13.78
Labor $240.00

Mileage prior to failure 93,296

Still less expensive to own/operate than my old BMW 740. I would be having a $1000 bill every 3 or 4 months!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap