G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The version of the TSB I have covers ONLY SEDANS. I have a coupe. Does anyone have the latest TSB? I am not sure how recent mine is but I have a coupe and I would like to get it fixed under warranty!

My TSB is dated April 29, 2009.

Last edited by buzzking; 01-20-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzking
The version of the TSB I have covers ONLY SEDANS. I have a coupe. Does anyone have the latest TSB? I am not sure how recent mine is but I have a coupe and I would like to get it fixed under warranty!

My TSB is dated April 29, 2009.
you dont need a TSB to cover warranty items - if your compression rod bushings are bad and you are under warranty, they will replace...

The TSB is only telling service departments to stop replacing entire arm and press in bushing only - however, I've read that many dealers are still replacing entire arm.

If you are out of warranty - it's doubtful they will replace for free (regardless of the TSB)... on the other hand, some dealers will replace as "good will" - typically that's if you have a record with them of being a valued customer... I wouldn't count on that, but it's worth a shot...

if you are under warranty you have nothing to worry about.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is no TSB for coupes.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM
warranty

Originally Posted by OCG35
you dont need a TSB to cover warranty items - if your compression rod bushings are bad and you are under warranty, they will replace...

The TSB is only telling service departments to stop replacing entire arm and press in bushing only - however, I've read that many dealers are still replacing entire arm.

If you are out of warranty - it's doubtful they will replace for free (regardless of the TSB)... on the other hand, some dealers will replace as "good will" - typically that's if you have a record with them of being a valued customer... I wouldn't count on that, but it's worth a shot...

if you are under warranty you have nothing to worry about.
My car just hit 60K.
Which warranty do I need?
I have extended warranty still. Does that work?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:29 PM
it depends on how comprehensive your extended warranty is

Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 PM
So, both of my compression rod bushings are cracked, driver side worst than the passenger side. The dealer wants $458 + tax to replace both. Due to recent financial hardships I can't afford to drop $500 for bushings.

Was wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a local shop here in the Bay Area (San Francisco) that anyone can recommend? I can order the bushing from Riverside, just need to find a place to press and install.

Thanks ahead.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 PM
i would recommend you replace the whole thing, because the ball joint side could be fault too, if you only replace bushings, you end of pay more.
there is a guy sell the pair only for $250 in California. if you handy, you could DIY.

Originally Posted by bubbafresh
So, both of my compression rod bushings are cracked, driver side worst than the passenger side. The dealer wants $458 + tax to replace both. Due to recent financial hardships I can't afford to drop $500 for bushings.

Was wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a local shop here in the Bay Area (San Francisco) that anyone can recommend? I can order the bushing from Riverside, just need to find a place to press and install.

Thanks ahead.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks ahead.
They won't cover it under TSB?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
@mbian I'd like to think my self handy, but looking at the DIY forum on this topic it doesn't seem like it's something that's straight forward. I wish someone would post a video of it since people discuss on this topic so much...

@buzzking, TSB is not a recall, and my 2004 G35 Sedan has been out of warranty for years.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 AM
if you replace the whole rod, it's very easy, only unbolt/bolt 3 or 4 nuts. I did it for my 03 G35 sedan.

@mbian I'd like to think my self handy, but looking at the DIY forum on this topic it doesn't seem like it's something that's straight forward. I wish someone would post a video of it since people discuss on this topic so much...

@buzzking, TSB is not a recall, and my 2004 G35 Sedan has been out of warranty for years.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by mbian
if you replace the whole rod, it's very easy, only unbolt/bolt 3 or 4 nuts. I did it for my 03 G35 sedan.
Thanks mbian. You mentioned there was a guy who's selling a pair of rods for $250? Looking on eBay and Riverside the cheapest is $180 each.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I bought them from this Forum, the id is "TaiWG35".

Good luck.

Thanks mbian. You mentioned there was a guy who's selling a pair of rods for $250? Looking on eBay and Riverside the cheapest is $180 each.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 AM
how about a compression rod group buy?

Nismo and SPL are the only aftermarket options for compression rod bushings?

I'm looking to replace various worn out OEM bushings with Whiteline bushings, however I did not come across compression rods bushings.

Last edited by ryanwiggum; 02-04-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ Energy just released a bushing kit, but I don't know if compression rod bushings are included - worth a look...

Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
05 AT, 112,000 kms. IOW, just out of warranty - I just had my driver side compression rod replaced for $250 plus labor. I was getting rattles over slow-speed bumps and a fairly loud vibration sound at high speed. The replacement has fixed both issues.

Unfortunately I also had a limp issue and had to replace the throttle bodies at the same time. I just bought the car (private) 2 weeks ago, add $1,470 to the cost!

But now my only worry is keeping the shine on in this snowy weather! Love the car!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap