G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ coulda done it for $50. $20 for the bushing and $30 to have pressed in (including uninstall/reinstall).

Old 04-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last week called INFINITI of COLUMBUS, and explained about the problems with the compression rods. (their service dept. originally replaced the rods for me under warranty less than 3 years ago). Also explained that INFINITI of BEDFORD was unwilling to try and run a GOODWILL repair. ( Even though I purchased the car new from them( through their other store in North Olmsted). In COLUMBUS, Both JASON and Zac, told me to bring the car down and they would try to run a" GOODWILL" repair on it. They told me that even though there was only a 1yr./ 12000 mile warr. on parts, infiniti knows that there is a wear issue with these compression rods. Anyway, they got the repairs and parts covered 100%. Also while there, I asked them to check on a valve cover leak, which Infiniti of BEDFORD LIED to me about. The oil was coming from the drivers side valve cover of the new LONG BLOCK which Bedford Infiniti replaced in June 2009 ( "excessive oil consumption" issue). When I asked them about it in March 2010, they said that the oil leak was from the last oil change and the person had spilled some oil. Supposedly this was running down the back of the engine? I looked at the service manager , and couldn't believe he actually said this. Especially since my last oil change had been at a Nissan Dealership in Youngstown and that had been almost 4 months ago.( Boardman Nissan also were the ones who found the leak in March). Anyway, ZAC got home office Infiniti to replace the valve cover and corresponding gaskets under warranty. The guys at Columbus INFINITI are very owner oriented , and that's why I drive 170 miles to have them work on my car. It is a dealership like this, that very likely saved Infiniti another future sale. I will NEVER have my car at INFINITI of BEDFORD (CLEVELAND, OHIO)again. Trust is very difficult to fix once it is ruined.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Right on man!

TWO thumbs up for the crew at Infiniti of Columbus.. they've always taken good care of my 04 G35x... always willing to go the extra miles(s) for you to get the problem resolved! Kudos to Jayson, Brad and Nick.. awesome group of guys!

Last edited by RicoG35x; 04-24-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Had my comp bushing replaced today... Night and day difference.. however at highway speeds around 60 or so I hear the clunking sound, its not as bad as previously before the new bushings. Steering is tight, I'm running the 350z suspension with the revised springs on my 03 sedan.

I'm looking to replace 1 by 1 the inner and outer tie rods, sway bar bushings, and lower control arm bushing as well.

but in the mean time I want that familiar clunking noise gone. It only happens at highway speeds, usually in the far left and right lanes when pressure is not applied to the steering.

I saw an earlier post in this thread that it could be the coil spring isolator... Where can I buy that from?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Got that speed issue fixed all I needed was a high speed wheel balancing..

replaced the sway bushings.. Car drives like a dream, I still hear an occassional low speed knock but nothing crazy.

Replacing the comp rod bushings is definitely a plus as its way cheaper than buying a brand new rod.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Well after starting this thread years ago, my Coupe still creaks every now and then but I have learned to live with it. I have the extended warranty for another 2 years and can deal with it anytime it become intolerable.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just purchased my '05 35x with 35k miles last july and have only put 12k miles on it and my compression rods are going. I want to call and see if i can get them under goodwill seeing how ive owned it less then a year and already had to replace the belts, front brakes, rear calipers, rear brakes and rotors..and now the new noise from the front end.

I noticed the TSB : ITB08-013, Date of Issue: March 10, 2008, do they replace the old bushings with the same or new style? has anyone done this rather then replace the compression rods and have the issue reoccur sooner then expected?
Kinda curious if its more cost effective to just get them replaced.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Updates finally, so my car was popping over bumps & while driving. I had took it in last week and FINALLY it's fixed. They replaced the motor mounts not sure which ones exactly but the car drives like it did in 2006 phew all this hassle I just can't believe they were bad already. I don't drive the car crazy at all and it is auto. So who ever else was wondering what those knocking noise's are look into the motor mounts. Another symptom is the car was very rough riding up front started making my dash very noisy. GL

Old 08-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the negatives of not changing out the bushings? I can live with the noise and handling, are there any more extreme issues that may pop up?

Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_ecktid
What are the negatives of not changing out the bushings? I can live with the noise and handling, are there any more extreme issues that may pop up?
Unless they are totally shot, none at all. I was originally annoyed with the creaking but for the most part don't hear it all that much. Here in Florida, it is not that noticeable as if I were in a colder climate.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM
G35 Compression Rod

Damn, they want $179 now. does anyone know a cheaper place?
are sedan and coupe same? I know the have different parts number.
Thanks

Originally Posted by erdog
I have the right side compression rod on order. Supposedly, the rod has been redesigned. It has a new part number supposedly.

Right side: 54468-AC70F $148.38
Left side: 54469-AC70F $148.38

"Infiniti has had a design change and the correct parts are being sent to you."

That's from autopartspeople.com

So I'm waiting for it to come so I can get rid of my noise. I wish my noise was only a creaking. Mine is a rattle and hopefully, I have diagnosed it correctly and the new compression rod will solve the issue.

Correction: Sides corrected for part numbers

Old 09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
hey guys looking for drive and passenger side compression rods with bad bushings, basically I want to spend time replacing the bushing and have less down time on my car in case there is some issue getting the old one out or the new one in.

I know a lot of people have replaced their full compression rods so I'm looking for the throw outs. As long as the ball joint is good...

Old 09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
the ball joint is just as bad as bush, I won't waste the money for throw outs.

Originally Posted by sexyrob
hey guys looking for drive and passenger side compression rods with bad bushings, basically I want to spend time replacing the bushing and have less down time on my car in case there is some issue getting the old one out or the new one in.

I know a lot of people have replaced their full compression rods so I'm looking for the throw outs. As long as the ball joint is good...

Old 10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Well after reading this thread, I'm not sure what is causing the sporadic creaking on what I think is just the front passenger side of my 2005 G35x (60,000K). I bought it from Carmax though and they give you 30 days to report any problems for a free fix. I just called and made an appointment. I'm going to mention the compression rods as a potential starting point...I'll let you know what they say. Thanks for all of the good info.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 PM
G35X has cast iron compression rods vs. aluminum?

So I just had my compression rods replaced for free courtesy of my 3rd party protection plan. What was kinda wierd was my dealer said that the TSB shown below did not apply to my car. I am guessing it is because the G35X rods are cast iron vs. aluminum and had rust. Any others had this problem? The dealer charged my protection plan $867.00 for it. 0 Deductible. Oh, BTW, the car only has 12k miles on it.

http://trueler.com/wp/wp-content/upl...pdfcompression rod TSB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap