G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine was only creaking but my bushings weren't torn. If they are really beat up and torn, clunking and clanking would not be out fo the question since it's allowing a lot of freeplay and movement of the entire rod that is directly connected to the chasis.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:40 AM
Angry Compression Rods

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I have a 04 Coupe with 22,000 miles and my girlfriend's 06 sedan has 14,000 miles. Both cars have creaking coming from the front end which can be heard going up and off driveways. I've just noticed my creaking and I have 2 months left on the warranty. The compression rod is over $300 for the part alone and the noise usually develops after 20,000 miles. I never have my radio on so I hear everything. I had a G35 loaner that had more creaking than I could handle in the few days of driving. Again, we have another annoyance and expense on a car that is supposed to be reliable. I have tolerated the weak paint, brake dust and premature pad wear, rattles, distorted front end geometry causing inside front tire feathering as well as premature middle tread wear on rear tires, and now creaking from the compression rods that makes the car sound like an old beater. There have been numerous threads about the bushings on the compression rods, but when a 14,000 mile 06 sedan has the same issues I feel that this is all getting very old.
I'm on the same boat. I have a 05 6MT Sport with same problems you've listed it above, plus my engine burns oil , which they refused to cover it under warranty . I just got my front compression rods replaced under warranty. I'm so disappointed with Nissan/Infiniti products (I had a 240SX). Too many problems for a $35K car.

Front Compression Rod Part numbers:
54468-AC70F
54469-AC70F

I'll be looking elsewhere when time to buy another car. I wouldn't buy another nissan/infiniti ever again.

Last edited by jomjalee; 11-14-2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jomjalee
I'm on the same boat. I have a 05 6MT Sport with same problems you've listed it above, plus my engine burns oil , which they refused to cover it under warranty . I just got my front compression rods replaced under warranty. I'm so disappointed with Nissan/Infiniti products (I had a 240SX). Too many problems for a $35K car.

Front Compression Rod Part numbers:
54468-AC70F
54469-AC70F

I'll be looking elsewhere when time to buy another car. I wouldn't buy another nissan/infiniti ever again.
I happen to agree.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Replacing assistance

The inner bolt securing the rod to the car's frame is it permenant (does the nut spin off without needing to hold the bolt). If it is not, how is the bolt head accessed?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its welded onto the front frame member... not available separate from the frame...

Old 12-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Thats great. So I can zip off the nut and the bolt will stay secured. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Well I removed the nut securing the compression rod to the frame but was unable to remove the nut on the "knuckle" side. The bolt would just spin. I applied PB on it and tried, sprayed and tried again. I'm done. This car is one nuisance after another. I was willing to do the swap even though there is no guarantee that this is indeed the cause of the clunking. My dealer wants $1000 (parts and labor) to do this. Again this may or may not eliminate the clunk. I have learned to hate this car. I'll begin removing the parts I can and trade this in (or maybe wait to cool off and pay the money to repair it - ).

Last edited by myG35ZX; 12-16-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If the compression rods were the only problem these cars had it would be one thing, however the list does go on.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Still there

The dealer replaced the rods today and called to say that another noise is heard. I beleive they are hearing the same noise as before. The best guess is that the knuckle ball joints are bad due to me having the coupe springs. I seariosuly doubt that the coupe springs are the culprit.

I have 73,000 miles and aside from the front suspension clunking (compression rods replaced at 48,000 and 73,000- to no avail) and the tire wear that the 350Evo arms corrected the car has been fine. But do I keep the car and plop another $1,000 into the knuckle replacement on top of the $1,000 for the comrpession rods replacement cost performed today? I just don't know!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced my compression rods yesterday while installing the Tein Basics and SPC Camber arms. Jason at Riverside supplied the new rods and a local shop charged me $360 to install the Teins, Camber Arms, compression rods and new end links front and rear. No more squeaks, clunks or any other noise that was pissing me off. The car is tight and aligned within spec.

The following users liked this post:
redguitarfreak (10-24-2013)
Old 12-18-2007, 12:55 PM
I had attempted to remove the rods but the bolt would spin when removing the nut. I had Motorwerks in Barrington replace the rods (though I bought the rods through Jason as well). I wish my car was tight. For me to trade this thing in requires that I take a beating on the depreciation. KBB lists it at approximately $15,000 - I paid $35,000. Each mile has cost 27.4 cents in depreciation alone. I hate having to drive so much!

Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Easein2itG
I replaced my compression rods yesterday while installing the Tein Basics and SPC Camber arms. Jason at Riverside supplied the new rods and a local shop charged me $360 to install the Teins, Camber Arms, compression rods and new end links front and rear. No more squeaks, clunks or any other noise that was pissing me off. The car is tight and aligned within spec.
What kind of noise to bad compression rods specifically make? I had no noise until I installed some coilovers. Now on bumps over uneven roads I get a sqeaking on the driver side when the car goes up and down.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_K
What kind of noise to bad compression rods specifically make?
It varies, but most people describe it as a creaking, crunching, or clatter sound. It's usually a very light sound, but still very annoying when you notice it 20 times a day. Sometimes it will get worse and squeak back and forth like an old spring, but that requires a particular road surface and speed to excite.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:56 PM
my compression rod was making one hell of a noise awhile back..a creaking noise but fairly noticable.... i fixed mine by hitting the bolt with my 1/2 impact gun(basicly putting more torque on the bolt(tighter))...havnt had the noise come back yet(and this was 5 or so months ago)...... but in my case it was not a light sound as mentioned in the post before...but did happen quite a bit.... but in any case before you go out spending more money try and tighten the bolt ...makes sense if the bushings are not visable damanged and u replaced the rod already..maybe it just came loose a little after however many miles...anyways its worth a shot, only takes a few seconds to tighten it some more

sorry if someone mentioned this idea.... i skipped a few pages

Last edited by bigugly78cj5; 12-19-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_K
What kind of noise to bad compression rods specifically make? I had no noise until I installed some coilovers. Now on bumps over uneven roads I get a sqeaking on the driver side when the car goes up and down.
It was a creaking noise. When the old rods were removed, the were tears in both bushings.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: G35 Compression Rods are Total Crap