Dont want feathering agian, will SPC Front Arms prevent feathering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those running aftermarket A-arms, did your feathering go away!? *Speak up please*

** I retitled the post this afternoon**

When my wife was running stock wheels/tires on Tein S springs, they started roaring like a ***** after only 6k miles. We recently switched to 20" Sevas S22s with Falkens.

Right NOW its awesome, and very quite. I realize the stock tires suck and that was part of the problem, but I also realize the suspension geometry on this car is a fricken joke.

If you think this problem will retrun on the Falkens, do you think the SPC front arms + alignment will remedy the potential reoccurance of the problem?

Thanks

Last edited by wadd3456; 10-31-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you just bought the springs alone, not coilovers or a camber kit, then that was your first mistake which resulted in your F'ed up tires. Im not sure about what you said would fix it but since you got the 20's get a camber kit, end of story.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 PM
For months Ive been asking to see if anyone has first hand experience running aftermarket arms and eliminating the feathering issue. So far, not a single person has been able to do so. Ive gotten tons of speculation. Trust me, I would assume it would work too. It would really sell me if one of the thousands of people on here had first hand experience.

Only thing holding me back with the arms is all the issues I keep hearing about clunking, rubbing and ABS/Tracking lights going off. Is all that resolved? Last thing I want to do is blow money on something to fix a problem, that a) doesnt fix it and b) creates another problem.
Do you?

Old 10-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
I hear you not wanting to invest in camber kit if it results in additional issues and/or only on speculation.
But...camber kit will allow you to run 0 camber (if thats what you want) to get the most out of tires and eliminate inside wear/feathering. Toe alignment is a factor in tire wear too.

Although, Nitto NeoGen tires are designed to accommodate negative camber set-ups and wear more evenly, but last I checked nothing in 20's.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Correct camber and all other parameters will not perfectly protect bad tire designs from heel toe feathering since just like shoes the sciffing is caused by weak [soft] tread compounds and the individual tread blocks attachment to the body of the tread subsurface.

Michelin seems to have the best handle on the problem but if you purchase directional treaded tires expect some feathering especially if you don't demount and flip the tires every 90 days or 3750 miles.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 PM
So, Im confused yet again. CPV, I think your saying it should take care of it. Q45tech, sounds like your 50/50. Its hard for me to believe that there arent any people out there that have done a before/after comparison for tire wear when installing front arms.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:04 AM
The problem is static [sitting still] camber is just one case. What really counts are the changes speed and turning makes to alignment............fixing static camber is just a minor part of problem.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 AM
The problem is static [sitting still] camber is just one case. What really counts are the changes speed and turning makes to alignment............fixing static camber is just a minor part of problem.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SPL or the 350Evo front arms would probably be a better choice. check the specs and get the ones that allow the most positive camber correction. i have the spc's and i'm way out of spec in the front. i doubt if i put on the spacers that it would help, plus i don't want my dash to light up like a christmas tree. i'm lowered on tein basics.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by izmir41500
SPL or the 350Evo front arms would probably be a better choice. check the specs and get the ones that allow the most positive camber correction. i have the spc's and i'm way out of spec in the front. i doubt if i put on the spacers that it would help, plus i don't want my dash to light up like a christmas tree. i'm lowered on tein basics.

Ah, Christ, are you kidding me? Those SPCs are the ones I was looking at. Whats the point of selling a product that doenst actually do anything?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I've been looking for a fix for the feathering issue as well. I won't go the route of the camber kit , because it's an expensive fix for my stock car that has not been proven by a single Coupe owner who has installed it. After all these years of production, it seems that the tire feathering and the Coupes go hand in hand.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM
The problem is choice of directional tread blocks on tires, staggered sizes and not flipping every 3,750 miles to reverse wear the scrub.

Heel toe feathering has been common on directional performance tires since the early 90's.................chosing non directionals solves the problem.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
The problem is choice of directional tread blocks on tires, staggered sizes and not flipping every 3,750 miles to reverse wear the scrub.

Heel toe feathering has been common on directional performance tires since the early 90's.................chosing non directionals solves the problem.
I replaced my directional tires (Avons) with the OEM Tire that is non directional (RSAs). Guess what? After 2,000 miles with the alignment adjusted with the max allowable toe +.08, the fronts are already begin to feather. Resolving this problem should not be a major task or it is no longer fun owning this car. It's becoming a hardship as well as an additional expense and overall it's getting very old

Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Were all your static alignments set precisely at nominal? Toe is a parameter for across block [left right] feather not heel toe feather.

Running Caster [not static] is a parameter for heel toe feather that must addressed.

Yes, performance cars require constant attention and expense.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Were all your static alignments set precisely at nominal? Toe is a parameter for across block [left right] feather not heel toe feather.

Running Caster [not static] is a parameter for heel toe feather that must addressed.

Yes, performance cars require constant attention and expense.
How can Caster be addressed without any factory adjustments unless we are talking about custom work? I understand Caster may affect the car to drift but I have not heard about tire wear. I'll second the constant attention and expense part of ownership.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dont want feathering agian, will SPC Front Arms prevent feathering?