Sway bars installed but have questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remember sway bars are in parallel with springs so a 35% stiffer sway bar may only mean the TOTAL roll stiffness is actually only 10-15% higher.

I never see members describing the amount of under/oversteer in Scientific [autoengineering] terms like the number of degrees in excess steering required per degrees of body roll............is 10 or 20 or 30 degrees of EXTRA steering wheel movement required to track [stay in lane] and at what speed.

http://www.teamscr.com/sway.htm

Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Well after a long discussion with gsedan35 over on my350z.com, I was convinced by him that I should never had the rear stiffer than the front settings with the hotchkis bars. Just look at the OEM sport tuned suspension. The front swaybar was stiffened while the rear was left the same. Why would infiniti engineers make the sport tuned suspension more prone to understeer if that was the case?
Most often the goal of tuning the suspension is to get a more neutral balance to the car, sometimes with a bias for oversteer. The rule to achieving oversteer on ANY chassis is a softer front and firmer rear adjustment. The reason behind this is that a stiffer rear will cause the rear tires to accept the shifted load of weight and break traction earlier in a turn than the front tires, thus causing the tail to slide outwards in an oversteer. Understeer occurs exactly opposite. The front is stiffer, causing the front tires to respond to weight changes earlier, and therefore will lose traction earlier causing a push or understeer of the front tires. These rules applly to any adjustments made to the suspension components including springs, shocks, and sway bars.

There isn't a good answer to why infinity engineers made the sport suspension more prone to understeer, but our sports suspension does in fact understeer. Just as in any other car that understeers, we can make it more neural or oversteer by making the front (spring rate, shock, and/or swaybar) softer, while making the rear stiffer. With the hotchkis bars, i understand that the medium (2/4) front, and med (2/3) on the rear will produce a comfortable amount of oversteer. I'm just about to install mine and will post my opinion up shortly!

Last edited by 328is; 04-16-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing. Hole 2 on both front and rear. With the sport suspension that is 15% stiffer on front, 125% stiffer rear. Dropped on 350z s-techs.

Anybody have experiance with this setup?

Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 AM
hey, everyone i just got my hotchkis bar
and planning to install it, but don't know which setting to go.
i saw this thread have been discuss about a lot about different setting.
So i just want to ask what is ur suggestion for me?
i have a stock sport suspension, and i also gonna install a front strut tower bar.
i bought the bar to help prevent the body rolls and the under steer problem that i have when made turn.

so far reading in this thread i come up with having the front stiff and med in the rear. I don't know if i should do that
any suggestion will help me a lot thanks

Old 08-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gfast
hey, everyone i just got my hotchkis bar
and planning to install it, but don't know which setting to go.
i saw this thread have been discuss about a lot about different setting.
So i just want to ask what is ur suggestion for me?
i have a stock sport suspension, and i also gonna install a front strut tower bar.
i bought the bar to help prevent the body rolls and the under steer problem that i have when made turn.

so far reading in this thread i come up with having the front stiff and med in the rear. I don't know if i should do that
any suggestion will help me a lot thanks
I'm not sure if you have a coupe or sedan...or if it makes a difference, but I wouldn't do stiff at first in front.

on my sedan, I have the front at medium/soft (2nd hole of 4) and the rear at medium. I can't completely be sure until I get it on the track, but in the few times on the street that I've pushed it, I haven't noticed any understeer. It's much more neutral now which is nice.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:52 PM
sorry for not mention wat type that i have
my is a coupe
hehehe

the reason i ask this is that i don't want to put the sway bar too stiff so that it might break the end link of the car. I don't track the car much, and i usually use it for the weekend drive more now. Hope this info will help on how to determine the stiffness of the sway bar. That's why i want to have more fun by adding couple mod to it, and this will be one of the fun mod i will have for the car. Since, i like better handling than horsepower.

thanks for the info

Last edited by Gfast; 08-20-2008 at 01:57 PM.