Wheel balancing under warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel balancing under warranty?

so i bought my car in august 07, about 2,300 miles (don't know if this matters but infiniti asked me), i changed out my 17's to the factory 19's and now i need to get them balanced.

is wheel balancing under warranty or do i have to pay for it. does it matter that i changed my wheels or do the dealers not care and will balance them for free? danka.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warranty would only cover the factory equipped parts.

At this point, now that you have added the 19"s they would not be covered under warranty with the vehicle. Only as a parts warranty by the original purchase date of the parts... But since the parts were most likely from another car they will not have a warranty unless attached to the actual car...

The parts warranty is 1/12K when purchased over the counter.

If you bring in your car for a service, 7500 / 15000 / 30000 usually ballancing is included in the service...

Your cheapest option is going to a wheel and tire shop and having them ballance them for you...

Most dealers tire ballancing machines suck...

Old 01-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned
Yeah, and if you have Aftermarket wheels, I wouldn't let them touch it.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason@Riverside
Warranty would only cover the factory equipped parts.

At this point, now that you have added the 19"s they would not be covered under warranty with the vehicle. Only as a parts warranty by the original purchase date of the parts... But since the parts were most likely from another car they will not have a warranty unless attached to the actual car...

The parts warranty is 1/12K when purchased over the counter.

If you bring in your car for a service, 7500 / 15000 / 30000 usually ballancing is included in the service...
I disagree. Look at your warranty booklet. It explicetly states that the warranty covers all Nissan and Nismo S-Tune parts and accessories. It also says explicitly that the warranty duration on said parts is the same as the original car warranty, as long as the parts are installed before the warranty expires. It also explicitely says that the parts are covered even if they were not originally installed on the car when purchased. Otherwise how would any of the Nismo parts be covered? So it doesn't matter if the rims didn't come with the car.

So lets say you get a new tranny at 10,000 miles... You still have your powertrain warranty on the tranny until 70,000 miles. Even if you buy a Nismo S-Tune unit.

Those 19" wheels are genuine nissan parts... They are covered for the full warranty period that the original rims are... Warranty booklet is very precise about this matter.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Texas Ice Bats......?

Find a nice clean Tire Shop in the Houston area and have those OEM 19s
balanced. Once it's done correctly you shouldn't need to have it done again
until you need new rubber.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by avs007
I disagree. Look at your warranty booklet. It explicetly states that the warranty covers all Nissan and Nismo S-Tune parts and accessories. It also says explicitly that the warranty duration on said parts is the same as the original car warranty, as long as the parts are installed before the warranty expires. It also explicitely says that the parts are covered even if they were not originally installed on the car when purchased. Otherwise how would any of the Nismo parts be covered? So it doesn't matter if the rims didn't come with the car.

So lets say you get a new tranny at 10,000 miles... You still have your powertrain warranty on the tranny until 70,000 miles. Even if you buy a Nismo S-Tune unit.

Those 19" wheels are genuine nissan parts... They are covered for the full warranty period that the original rims are... Warranty booklet is very precise about this matter.
Understood...

But, were the 19"s purchased from INFINITI by the current customer?

Where the 19"s off of a CAR... not purchased over the counter...

Even if they were purchased over the counter, Ballancing the tires is not covered under warranty...

Only if it was the ORIGINAL WHEELS on the ORIGINAL CAR they were FACTORY EQUIPED on would they be covered...

BUT, most likely the service writer wont know the difference and may ballance them for you anyway just as a service if the car is pretty new and you complain about a vibration at speeds...

Rather then go in saying I just got these wheels, ballance them under warranty...

Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

And if you want to get really specific about warranty coverage...

If you get a transmission put in at 69,999 miles, that transmission will have a 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty as a Parts warranty...

If you get a NISMO S-Tune product after the time of purchase of your car, it only has a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty...

If you purchase a NISMO S-TUNE product on your NISSAN (NOT INFINITI) then the product has a 3/36,000 warranty....

Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Understood...
Only if it was the ORIGINAL WHEELS on the ORIGINAL CAR they were FACTORY EQUIPED on would they be covered...
100% wrong

If you get a NISMO S-Tune product after the time of purchase of your car, it only has a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty...
100% wrong

Here is a quote from page 17 of the 2007 Infiniti Warranty Booklet

However, the warranty on Genuine Nissan
replacement parts, Genuine NISMO S-tune parts,
and Genuine Nissan accessories installed in a
Nissan or Infiniti vehicle while the vehicle is covered
by a Nissan warranty, which would have covered
the part had it been installed in the vehicle at
manufacture will not end before the end of that
warranty.
It clearly states the warranty on a Nismo part purchased after the car, is still warranted for the entire remaining duration of the new car warranty....

The wheel DOES NOT have to the SAME wheel that ORIGINALLY came on the car, based on this wording... Please point out which Infiniti cars come with Nismo S-Tune parts installed at the factory.... This is specifically worded to cover such parts installed after purchase, that did not originally come on the car.

They probably did that, becuase they already included a disclaimer earlier on that page to make sure you are using the parts for their intended purpose:

installed and used on
Nissan or Infiniti (if an appropriate use and application
of the part, accessory, or Genuine NISMO Stune
part)
I also don't see why you think it'll have a shorter warranty on Infiniti vs Nissan. It clearly says both Nissan and Infiniti.

Last edited by avs007; 01-08-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
100% wrong

100% wrong

Here is a quote from page 17 of the 2007 Infiniti Warranty Booklet

It clearly states the warranty on a Nismo part purchased after the car, is still warranted for the entire remaining duration of the new car warranty....

The wheel DOES NOT have to the SAME wheel that ORIGINALLY came on the car, based on this wording... Please point out which Infiniti cars come with Nismo S-Tune parts installed at the factory.... This is specifically worded to cover such parts installed after purchase, that did not originally come on the car.

They probably did that, becuase they already included a disclaimer earlier on that page to make sure you are using the parts for their intended purpose:

I also don't see why you think it'll have a shorter warranty on Infiniti vs Nissan. It clearly says both Nissan and Infiniti.

But I do agree that I've never seen balancing being covered by the warranty, even on the wheel that came on the car. "Wear Item" seems to come to mind...
INFINITI Dealers can NOT warranty a NISMO product since an INFINITI Dealer does not purchase a NISMO Product directly from a NISSAN PDC. just as a NISSAN dealer can not purchase a SPEICIFIC INFINITI part number (example INFINITI EMBLEM) directly from a NISSAN PDC (parts distribution center). however, dealers "Trade" parts all the time, example... INFINITI Dealer sell INFINITI emblem to NISSAN / NISSAN dealer sell NISSAN emblem to INFINITI...

If an INFINITI Dealer was to try to warranty a NISMO part number the warranty claim would be denied.

As far as the wheels... yes they will be covered if the customer can show a COUNTER TICKET with the FACTORY PART Number of those wheels (the 19"s) for the warranty part coverage...

So if the 19" wheel were to have a defect in the finish and the customer would try to warranty it at a INFINITI Dealer, the customer would have to either:
A = Have that part number from up with the vehicles VIN number as the FACTORY EQUIPED Part
B = Have that part number on a Parts Sales Counter Ticket sold to that customer within 1 year / 12,000 miles of the parts counter purchase

If the FAILED PART NUMBER is NOT ATTACHED to the VIN NUMBER as a FACTORY EQUIPPED product then a COUNTER TICKET sale must be presented.

Purching from a "forum member" or even swapping wheels on the lot DOES NOT mean they will be covered...

Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned
Why the hell would anyone argue against a guy who works at Infiniti? hahah. Who would know better then someone from the inside?

And I have to agree with him. Why would they cover it? If it wasn't purchased from he dealership, or didn't came with it from the factory?

Just like how some guys who purchased 06 headlights from ebay and wanted to go take their 03 coupe in for the headlight recall..

Old 01-08-2008, 08:33 PM
INFINITI Dealers can NOT warranty a NISMO product since an INFINITI Dealer does not purchase a NISMO Product directly from a NISSAN PDC. just as a NISSAN dealer can not purchase a SPEICIFIC INFINITI part number (example INFINITI EMBLEM) directly from a NISSAN PDC (parts distribution center).
The warranty terms do not differentiate between Nissan and Infiniti dealers. Going by the wording, it makes zero difference if the part was acquired through Nissan or Infiniti, because the only requirement was that the part was from Nissan North America. See end of this post for further clarification...

If an INFINITI Dealer was to try to warranty a NISMO part number the warranty claim would be denied.
Have you tried this before? If it fails, you need to take this up with corporate, becuase it is CLEARLY covered according to the warranty booklet.

B = Have that part number on a Parts Sales Counter Ticket sold to that customer within 1 year / 12,000 miles of the parts counter purchase
BS. The warranty clearly states that the part only need to be installed while the car is still under warranty. If you are sitting at the dealer with only 20,000 miles on the odometer, and your car is only (for example) 2 years old, you are clearly still under warranty period, so clearly part was installed while you are still under warranty. I don't know why you keep pressing for 1 year/12,000 miles.

then a COUNTER TICKET sale must be presented.
On page 18, it says:

parts invoice or service repair order from an
authorized Nissan or Infiniti dealer
So clearly it doesn't matter if you bought the part from a Nissan dealer of Infiniti dealer. As long as you show you bought it from either of these places, it's covered.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by doctorG
Why the hell would anyone argue against a guy who works at Infiniti? hahah. Who would know better then someone from the inside?
Just because you work for a given company, doesn't mean you fully understand said company's policies... I can use Acura as an example... They tried to void the warranty on my transmission, for a number of reasons.... I brought the warranty booklet, the owners manual, and the maintence booklet with me to the dealer, and explained how they were mistaken. After I showed them this information, they re-instated my warranty, and replaced my transmission free of charge.

Just like how some guys who purchased 06 headlights from ebay and wanted to go take their 03 coupe in for the headlight recall..
Buying from ebay is different. I bought my 06' lights from the Infiniti dealership, so I actually do have proof that I bought it from the appropriate channels. And if you look at page 18:

If the part or accessory
was not installed by an authorized Nissan or
Infiniti dealer, the part or accessory will be repaired
or exchanged only.
so if you had someone else do the work, you can bring the part in (with proof of purchase), and have it repaired/exchanged under warranty.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
ok...

Read carefully this time...

The above illustration is of a G35 04 6MT Coupe...

Here is an example how a warranty will be done...

Example A: This customer put a OEM 350Z Tube on his 350Z that was purchased from another forum members 350Z (reguardless of year). The Z-Tube Failed... The Z_Tubes part number is 16576-CD00A. The G driver goes into service, the only part that will be covered in that place is the 16576-AL500 Number the Factory Part on the vehicle. INFINITI does not have access to purchase or warranty the 16576-CD00A directly from the parts distribution center for the INFINITI dealer nor do they have the ability to warranty any part in the place of the 16576-AL500. The dealer can warranty it and charge out the 16576-AL500 number on the repair order BUT< will have to suply a 16576-AL500 in return when INFINITI calls back for the part (which they do a lot!) IF they call back for the part and it is not the 16576-AL500 the dealer does not get paid for the warranty work and the technican and service writer gets back flagged (hence why a lot of dealers DO NOT do warranty work that easy.

Example B: This customer puta OEM 350Z Tube on his 350Z that was purchased from a NISSAN Dealer over the counter and has a counter ticket with date for the 16576-CD00A number. If this part fails the customer can bring it to a NISSAN Dealer and do a PARTS WARRANTY over the PARTS COUNTER for the failed part. LABOR will not be covered by a PARTS WARRANTY. IF a dealership did perform the labor they may cover the repair as a good will...

Example C: The parts that say NOT APPLICABLE is the parts selected for a 17" wheel on this G. Only the 18:" wheels are Applicable there for the only wheels / part numbers that can be warrantied on this vehicle... UNLESS the wheels were purchased in the same terms as the Example B above...

Does this make more sense to you?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Like I said, if your software does not allow you to do what is described in the warranty booklet, that is a corporate issue, and it sounds like they would need to fix the software to support it...

I don't care if your computer software doesn't allow you to warranty a Nismo part for example, the warranty terms and conditions are very clear. Computer software is not perfect, but the warranty description, and terms and conditions are crystal clear. So for example, according to the warranty language, a Nismo intake would be covered for the duration of the powertrain warranty as long as it's installed while you are still under warranty, not the 12 month/12,000 miles warranty. It looks like you can take the part off yourself and still get it repaired in the same warranty duration, bceuase it says you need to pay for labor if the dealer didn't install it, but then it continues to say you can bring the part in, and thye can repair/exchange it. It doesn't say that when you remove it, suddenly you are bound to the parts warranty and not the new car warranty. The previous section explicitiy said that the warranty will not expire until the end of the term of the new car warranty.

For example, I bought some parts for a different car by my work a while back... Turns out I didn't need the part, so I returned it at a location near my house, which happens to be in a different state.... There is no sales tax where I bought the part, but there is where I returned it... The software the parts counter was using, did not take that into account, and they tried to refund me sales tax. I caught this error, but the guy could not figure out how to return something without having it refund sales tax, even tho sales tax was not paid. It just wasn't set up that way.

Warranty policies and responsibilies are dictated by the actual warranty document, not by whatever software you happen to be running at the time.

Are you going to tell me that if I own a store, I can print on the back of the receipt that you can return items for a full refund within 21 days of purchase with receipt... But then when the customer comes in 5 days later, tell them they can't return it, becuase the software you run doesn't allow returns after 3 days?

Last edited by avs007; 01-08-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I have to agree with him. Why would they cover it? If it wasn't purchased from he dealership, or didn't came with it from the factory?

What the hell do you mean who would argue against a guy who works at Infiniti? You think people never argue with service reps? You've got to be kidding me right?

"Why the hell would anyone argue against a guy who works at Infiniti?"

That sounds very sarcastic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel balancing under warranty?