Best OEM Brake Upgrade(Low Budget)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best OEM Brake Upgrade(Low Budget)?

What is the best brake upgrade setup you guys have on a low budget(<$500)?
04' g35 sedan
I'm considering doing an upgrade with from my stocks to crossed drilled/slotted with ceramic pads, braided lines.
What kind of material is best suited for rotors?zinc coated?powder coated?
Brand suggestions?

Last edited by kvan; 08-07-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
What are your goals? Your thinking is certainly one way of going. With a $500 budget, you won't have many choices. I was able to upgrade to a 06 OEM front/rear brake setup for a little more than that + SS lines from technafit. The 05+ G/Z (except the AWD) came with bigger brakes/rotors. Performance is about the same but w/o the need for ultra aggressive pad material and short rotor life.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kvan
What is the best brake upgrade setup you guys have on a low budget(<$500)?
04' g35 sedan
I'm considering doing an upgrade with from my stocks to crossed drilled/slotted with ceramic pads, braided lines.
What kind of material is best suited for rotors?zinc coated?powder coated?
Brand suggestions?
What is upgrade to u?

Old 08-07-2008, 12:06 PM
i would go for a good set of pads, probably hawk hps or ebc greenstuff, a set of SS lines, and a good quality brake fluid such as ate' superblue. everything will total about 300 dollars and the gain you would experience by going with a drilled or slotted rotor would be minimal unless your main problem is brake fade

Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Klubbheads
What is upgrade to u?
He mentions OEM and a budget of $500, it can't be too many things.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Well, unless u go with OEM upgrade most of th after market parts are not going to shorten ur stopping distance. Complete OEM setups are ideal for the shortest stopping distances especially when it comes to OEM dusty pads. Those thing bite so hard that ur center leather arm rest drops down in the back seat.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Okay, what I meant was, what's the best possible upgrade from an OEM/stock brakes using aftermarket parts less than $500.
Example setup: Crossdrilled/slotted(brand?), pads(brand), braided lines(brand?).
My car setup is simple: Z-springs, Ztube, popcharger, 5/16 spacer.
I just want a little better stopping if needed, not so brake dusty, not so rusty.
Any experience with the types/brands of brakes would be appreciated..

Old 08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by kvan
Okay, what I meant was, what's the best possible upgrade from an OEM/stock brakes using aftermarket parts less than $500.
Example setup: Crossdrilled/slotted(brand?), pads(brand), braided lines(brand?).
My car setup is simple: Z-springs, Ztube, popcharger, 5/16 spacer.
I just want a little better stopping if needed, not so brake dusty, not so rusty.
Any experience with the types/brands of brakes would be appreciated..
brake dust and shortening stopping distance dont go together. Read the post above, nothing will shorten ur stopping distance besides ur OEM setup.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Klubbheads
REDUCED brake dust and shortening stopping distance dont go together. Read the post above, nothing will shorten ur stopping distance besides ur OEM setup.
Fixed. Agreed though. In order to get the world class stopping power that Infiniti designed into the 03-04 Gs, the aggressive/dusty oem pads have to be used. Anything else compromises the 60-0 stop.

The upgrade I did, retains the great stopping power but w/o the dusty pads. The 05+ brakes stops within a few feet of the earlier brakes w/o all the dust.

Klubbs, I bet for a 03-04, the Racing Brake oem brake front upgrade w/ the 05+ rear oem would be a KILLER BBK. I could see this setup decreasing the stop distances as it retains the oem pads/caliper. If the bias is still good, it "should" stop the car in a shorter time. At least in the terms of a 1-2 60-0 stop time.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned
Go to:

http://www.revolutionbrake.com/produ...rake-kits.html

Where you can get wilwood 4 pot extremely light front calipers, 4mm larger diameter and 2mm thicker than stock 05/06 drilled rotors, stainless lines and low dust street pads for $170 more than your your $500 budget. It's not a BBK as it's a 12.76" rotor, but your performance will be huge over stock 2 pots.

When these armchair quarterbacks start yelling about bias (and they will like they always do) just blow them off. I've been running this setup for 5K miles with stock rears and it works better like night & day with ZERO extra wear.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Flufferchick
Go to:

Where you can get wilwood 4 pot extremely light front calipers, 4mm larger diameter and 2mm thicker than stock 05/06 drilled rotors, stainless lines and low dust street pads for $170 more than your your $500 budget. It's not a BBK as it's a 12.76" rotor, but your performance will be huge over stock 2 pots.

When these armchair quarterbacks start yelling about bias (and they will like they always do) just blow them off. I've been running this setup for 5K miles with stock rears and it works better like night & day with ZERO extra wear.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Flufferchick
Go to:

LOL. Even IF the difference was "HUGE" as you claim then how could the bias NOT be adversely affected?? IMHO, given the rotor isn't much bigger and the likely fact that those 4 pots probably don't offer much more piston area, what you are feeling is basicly something close to the stock bias anyway. If anything, those 4 pot wilwoods offer great FEEL but not much more braking force.
Of course the bias isn't going to be affected much, it ain't adding that much. Basicly, it's an oem front brembo type alternative. It's not even adding much to a 05+ dual piston, 12.6" rotor front end.

In order to make any significant difference in clamping force using only the calipers, the piston area differences would have to be BIG. That runs into pedal travel problems.

Anyway, when you come back with your 4-5th s/n, make sure you reply with your "knowledge".

Last edited by Jeff92se; 08-08-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
LOL. Even IF the difference was "HUGE" as you claim then how could the bias NOT be adversely affected?? IMHO, given the rotor isn't much bigger and the likely fact that those 4 pots probably don't offer much more piston area, what you are feeling is basicly something close to the stock bias anyway. If anything, those 4 pot wilwoods offer great FEEL but not much more braking force.
Of course the bias isn't going to be affected much, it ain't adding that much. Basicly, it's an oem front brembo type alternative. It's not even adding much to a 05+ dual piston, 12.6" rotor front end.

In order to make any significant difference in clamping force using only the calipers, the piston area differences would have to be BIG. That runs into pedal travel problems.

Anyway, when you come back with your 4-5th s/n, make sure you reply with your "knowledge".
Don't hold your breath, Jeff......he's a persisitent SOB but some of us are too......He'll lose every time in whatever incarnation he choses.

C.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Fixed. Agreed though. In order to get the world class stopping power that Infiniti designed into the 03-04 Gs, the aggressive/dusty oem pads have to be used. Anything else compromises the 60-0 stop.

The upgrade I did, retains the great stopping power but w/o the dusty pads. The 05+ brakes stops within a few feet of the earlier brakes w/o all the dust.

Klubbs, I bet for a 03-04, the Racing Brake oem brake front upgrade w/ the 05+ rear oem would be a KILLER BBK. I could see this setup decreasing the stop distances as it retains the oem pads/caliper. If the bias is still good, it "should" stop the car in a shorter time. At least in the terms of a 1-2 60-0 stop time.
After all, switching our sedan 03-04 brakes with 350z/G 05+ front brakes can be considered a good upgrade under budget to keep the OEM stopping power? Is this a basic bolt on upgrade? will i need any kind of adapter? Thanks

Old 08-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mesias
After all, switching our sedan 03-04 brakes with 350z/G 05+ front brakes can be considered a good upgrade under budget to keep the OEM stopping power? Is this a basic bolt on upgrade? will i need any kind of adapter? Thanks
The key is you have to switch the front and rear brakes to get OEM stopping power. If you only did the front, then your braking performance would be worse than stock.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best OEM Brake Upgrade(Low Budget)?