brakes and rotors - help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by viperkv
not true. it the rotor are glazed over, you need to turn them. if you dont, they will squeal.

Lay off the bong water & stop spewing crap. Here's what NORMAL people do:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4421355_clea...paign=yssp_art

You keep cutting yours down for no reason........mmmmmm K?

Last edited by GooberGman; 08-29-2008 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by GooberGman

http://www.ehow.com/how_4421355_clea...paign=yssp_art

You keep cutting yours down for no reason........mmmmmm K?

Hey dip****, why not just talk about the discussion and not put other people down. People like you make forums bad. Look at the link you post. That car is from way back in the days. Cars now go faster and take more abuse. Also most of the time brakes will have uneven deposit of pad material. That is what causes what most people call "warp". The only way to fix this is to turn them. We are talking about your brakes. If they dont work right or you do a half *** job working on them, they might fail. I sure as hell dont want my brakes failing on me when i need them the most. Do as you please. Take sand paper to your ****. I would rather have them turned or replace them to be on the safe side.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by woodstar
Thanks Dwyman
It's just that I'm surprised as I haven't really thrashed the car until I got to know it. Mechanic has told me that rotors are so thin they would go under limit if machined. Have spoken to performance guy here also n he 's suggested dimpled rotors (haven't heard of them before). I've got the feeling the quality here in Aust is not what it should be.
That's the last thing you want to do. Dimples serves no real purpose than cosmetics. They're beveled so you don't get the braking performance of slots, and they don't go all the way through so you don't get the cooling power of drilled holes. If anything, you'd lose out on braking surface and it may decrease your braking power. I'd stick with drilled and/or slotted, or just plain OEM if I were you.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by GooberGman
Actually . . . normal people wait until their brakes are metal on metal and then take them to the dealer for a re-enactment of Deliverance.

I have never heard anyone say it is a bad idea to have rotors turned. It is preventative. The number stamped on the rotor should be checked with a micrometer across at least four points. I challenge you to find a well used rotor (30K+) that has the same number accross all four points. Some people go by the method that if the steering wheel doesn't shake when applying the brakes their rotors are fine. That is kind of like checking the oil level based on the pressure guage in the dash.

In any case, "sanding with a block of wood" is worthless if you have hotspots on the rotor. Similar to trying to plane a piece of wood with a belt sander; the imperfections are only transferred onto the new surface, not eliminated.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dwyman
Actually . . . normal people wait until their brakes are metal on metal and then take them to the dealer for a re-enactment of Deliverance.

I have never heard anyone say it is a bad idea to have rotors turned. It is preventative. The number stamped on the rotor should be checked with a micrometer across at least four points. I challenge you to find a well used rotor (30K+) that has the same number accross all four points. Some people go by the method that if the steering wheel doesn't shake when applying the brakes their rotors are fine. That is kind of like checking the oil level based on the pressure guage in the dash.

In any case, "sanding with a block of wood" is worthless if you have hotspots on the rotor. Similar to trying to plane a piece of wood with a belt sander; the imperfections are only transferred onto the new surface, not eliminated.
Originally Posted by 5150DS

thank you.