Strut Bar Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just noticed part (C - ease of installation) for the GT Spec bar isn't filled out here, so I'll add my comments (installed a few weeks back)

Installing the mount on passenger side is very easy (~10-15 minutes with a breaker bar). Installing on the driver's side does require moving A/C lines which are in the way, but only until you get it seated. Everything you move can go back where it belongs once the bracket is installed. I think it took me about an hour, but only because I'd never done it and didn't know what to move where.

As for post above, I have zero fitment problems with spacer & no engine cover.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Not touching the hood at all?

Old 01-25-2010, 01:49 PM
^it's adjustable, so I adjusted it as far down as it goes. Clears the top of the plenum with about 2 credit cards' space (tip i found somewhere), and so far as I can tell its never touched the hood.

I can try dusting it with powder to check sometime, but since I can raise it another ~1/2 inch now, I doubt it will hit.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
How much was the GT Spec?

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't remember exactly - prob should have kept a spreadsheet with all my mod costs...

I think the OP has it right at around $215

Old 01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MJ-G35
Really?

Which SB should I get? I've searched a lot about them and I've seen fitment problems. Do they all have them?
Really. I tried it. Hits the hood big time and is easily flexed so it is more for show than function.

I haven't figured out which one yet either. The stillen looks least likely to hit the hood since it can't be used with the engine cover. The GTspec I have read good things about but it does fit over the engine cover which worries me that it will hit the hood.

I was going to go for the relentless bar even with the high cost but I am getting ready to go vortech and am pretty sure it wont fit with that.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
don't forget the RareJDM rear brace

Old 02-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody know if the Arc FSB will clear BC Racing coilovers?

Old 02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by thelarsky
Just noticed part (C - ease of installation) for the GT Spec bar isn't filled out here, so I'll add my comments (installed a few weeks back)

Installing the mount on passenger side is very easy (~10-15 minutes with a breaker bar). Installing on the driver's side does require moving A/C lines which are in the way, but only until you get it seated. Everything you move can go back where it belongs once the bracket is installed. I think it took me about an hour, but only because I'd never done it and didn't know what to move where.

As for post above, I have zero fitment problems with spacer & no engine cover.
Which spacer do you have? what size? EDITanswer 5/16"... 1/2" spacer was already confirmed to fit :-)

Adding and modifying original post...

Last edited by Jamaica2G; 02-20-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
don't forget the RareJDM rear brace
Give me some more info hommie! I'll add it to the list :-)

Old 02-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by rcdash
Are there still no options for rear strut tower bars that don't eat up rear trunk space? I've been waiting for someone to angle the mounts up so the bar sits flat across the top, underneath the rear deck, rather than cutting off the rear trunk space. (I don't think the lower under-car GT spec braces have the lever arm distance to be effective, and end up reinforcing the strongest part of the chassis rather than the weakest).

On another note, the VRT front strut tower brace/bar is impressive. I posted a review on it a long time ago but should still be on this site. It is also chromoly steel, like the RA bar (Scott Bush designed the VRT bar, which luckily was originally intended for the JWT TT kit, which I have). I could never recommend it to anyone except someone with hard code fabrication skills because cutting and grinding steel may be required for fitment!
for functionality, why would you want a rear strut bar that has two arms that go up and over the arch? That is introducing more room for flex...

The VRT bar is amazing, I have it as well. My suggestion with installing is that you have to get the car up in the air off of the suspension! Leave the wheels on to kinda provide some down force. I even had to loosen the three shock nuts on the driver's side. That's the only way I was able to get the bar on and off. After lowering it back to the floor, it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE because it is actively loaded!

In order for a rear strut bar to be functional and go "up and over" it would have to have similar properties to the VRT front bar... it would have to be actively loaded so the initial flex is out of the equation...

DOMO

Old 02-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by mosoto
Would it also be worth noting which bars may
1) obstruct access to or
2) not suited to
coilover damper adjustment *****?
Added as (G)

Old 02-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Rare JDM Rear Strut Tower Bar

Rare JDM Rear Strut Tower Bar
a) ~1.5" dia. chrome moly tube mounted between two welded steel brackets. Bar is attached to brackets with threaded hardware, allowing user to adjust pre-load on the bar. The threaded hardware also allows the bracket to pivot slightly. Brackets are secured to the car through existing holes in the trunk. Bar sits slightly forward of where the Stillen bar sits and is centered between the shock towers.
b) See pix in this post. In a coupe, it sits 1-1.5" above the false floor, leaving the area above pretty open. You can still slide items through the backseat if you need to. The threaded attachments make it easy to remove the bar quickly if you need to - takes about 5 minutes.
c) Installation takes about 30 minutes, with the majority of the time spent cutting slots in the trunk liner so the brackets can poke through. Install time will be a lot shorter if you don't care about concealing the brackets or making clean slots for the brackets.
d) Chrome moly tubing & steel brackets
e) Initial run was at $350 shipped
f) https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...ar-teaser.html

Installed in my COUPE:

Name:  023-1.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  74.8 KB

Installed in zackt69's COUPE:

Installed in ciabattaburger's COUPE:

Installed in psedog's SEDAN:

Name:  RSB-5.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  92.6 KB

Installed in ttrank's SEDAN:

Last edited by bigc; 02-20-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: moar pix :D
Old 02-24-2010, 05:31 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
GT Spec FSB will clear MD 5/16" spacer and the engine cover. Touches the hood liner with the hood closed, but does not rub in my car.

Riverside Infiniti has them for $185 shipped. Great bar IMO.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
so which bar is the best bang for your buck?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Strut Bar Thread