Ceramic Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by extremepowderco
i got the autozone duralast gold c-max pads! Love the pads with no sound coming from them and little dust!
same here love those pads ive had the oem pads on the car and with my "enthusiastic" drifing i ran then dry in about 2k miles
had the duralst c max ones now for over 3k and just checked them yesterday and with my driving style not changing im surprised that they still have a ton of life in them
on the oems i went from this

to this in 2k miles

Old 03-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GBoy
I actually do hate them, too many times I have almost rear ended someone.

I cannot lock up my wheels if need be..

They are coming off next week, one thing I do give them is no dust and no noise, but I'd rather be safe so going back to OEM..
If you ALMOST rear-ended another car "too many times", it sounds like you may simply not be allowing sufficient intervals between your G and the cars in front of you on the road "too many times."

The rule of thumb for intervals between cars on dry pavement is one full car length (or 15 feet) per 10 miles per hour of speed. On wet/ icy pavement you need to leave at least double that distance.

Having driven for near 25 years I have observed that fewer and fewer drivers bother with this law of physics. Many think it's perfectly normal to be driving at 50 mph with about 30 feet between their car and the one in front. Even with OEM pads the G isn't going to stop from 50 in under 100 feet.

Perhaps this is why annual US highway fatalities (40,000+) have not significantly diminished from what they were 30 years ago (before ABS and SRS).

Last edited by athens; 03-17-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by athens
Even with OEM pads the G isn't going to stop from 50 in under 100 feet.
While I agree with most of your points, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. The OEM brake setup will definitely stop you from 50-0 in less than 100 feet. From 60-0 they do it in something like 112 feet, which is borderline supercar territory. And it's not linear, so I would guess 50-0 is somewhere between 90-95 feet. Yes, OEM is that good.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
While I agree with most of your points, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. The OEM brake setup will definitely stop you from 50-0 in less than 100 feet. From 60-0 they do it in something like 112 feet, which is borderline supercar territory. And it's not linear, so I would guess 50-0 is somewhere between 90-95 feet. Yes, OEM is that good.
I read those same brake test results provided by several car magazines before I bought my G. We need to keep in mind that those results were obtained under controlled track conditions with semi-professional drivers.

I should have been more clear and referred to braking requirements in real world driving conditions where there is significant traffic, where pavement conditions are far less than perfect and where reaction times are going to be greater due to distractions.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
It's cool, we're on the same page. You always have to figure in the conditions.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
It's cool, we're on the same page. You always have to figure in the conditions.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts

Many think it's perfectly normal to be driving at 65 mph with about 10 feet between their car and the one in front.
Fixed.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you ALMOST rear-ended another car "too many times", it sounds like you may simply not be allowing sufficient intervals between your G and the cars in front of you on the road "too many times."

The rule of thumb for intervals between cars on dry pavement is one full car length (or 15 feet) per 10 miles per hour of speed. On wet/ icy pavement you need to leave at least double that distance.

Having driven for near 25 years I have observed that fewer and fewer drivers bother with this law of physics. Many think it's perfectly normal to be driving at 50 mph with about 30 feet between their car and the one in front. Even with OEM pads the G isn't going to stop from 50 in under 100 feet.

Perhaps this is why annual US highway fatalities (40,000+) have not significantly diminished from what they were 30 years ago (before ABS and SRS).
I am 6 months short of 40 years of drving with a very good record, I drive in the North East where there is plently of white stuff, hell I drive in NYC when visiting and have driven through parts of Europe including England, Spain and Portugal..I know the combination of my pads and rotors just don't work and I have accepted it and am moving on. Thanks for the course in physics, highly appreciated..BTW I live in Canada and our fatalities have gone down except
for the kids in their 20's, you know the type, baseball hat and usually on backwards.

GBoy

Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by GBoy
I am 6 months short of 40 years of drving with a very good record, I drive in the North East where there is plently of white stuff, hell I drive in NYC when visiting and have driven through parts of Europe including England, Spain and Portugal..I know the combination of my pads and rotors just don't work and I have accepted it and am moving on. Thanks for the course in physics, highly appreciated..BTW I live in Canada and our fatalities have gone down except
for the kids in their 20's, you know the type, baseball hat and usually on backwards.

GBoy
Boy your screen name could have fooled me.

And I thought I was the senior here.

Having a second home in Greece for years I have driven extensively there as well as in Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. Even had my M3 (a Euro delivery) on the Autobahn and Autostrada.

Believe me I don't doubt that the pads aren't working for you if you say they aren't. And I cannot say that I have driven a G fitted with Raybestos ceramic pads.

My familiarity with the Raybestos pads are through a client who owns a manufacturing concern that rebuilds brake calipers for Delco primarily for late model Corvette applications. Per GM specs they fit Raybestos Quiet Stop pads on the rebuilt calipers. The client has an E46 M3 which he has fitted with the same Raybestos pads. He claims the Raybestos pads grab the rotors as well as the OEM BMW pads.

Raybestos does distinguish between their "Service" (basic) semi-ceramic pad and their "Advanced Technology" Ceramic pads. The AT Ceramics are the equivalent of the Quiet Stop.

Out of curiosity which did you have installed?

If you cannot get ABS to activate at all with real aggressive braking something is wrong. Even the least expensive semi-metallics out there should be able to get the ABS going with a bit of pedal pressure, provided you are moving fast enough.

With the Centric Posi Quiet Extended Wears (Organic Kevlars) I have no problem activating ABS on dry pavement with All Season tires.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Raybestos PGD815C Professional Grade Disc Brake Pad Set..

GBoy