Review: MDU Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
How do they feel? Are they smooth and comfortable or do they ride stiff. The last coil overs (tien) were really stiff, I want a smooth and comfortable ride. I have a kid, so I don't want a stiff suspension. I was thinking about getting the tien comfort coils overs (not sure if that's the correct name) with EDFC.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Vicarious you're selling your mdu's?

Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a manufacturer website for these coils? Do they have adjustable dampening?

OP you've peaked my interest and i'm looking into the difference between this and Megans. Especially since they're reasonably priced.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry guys, I obviously wasn't paying attention to this thread like I should have been - shame on me.

Yes, they have adjustable dampening. I want to say that they are 16 way adjustable, but I can't remember for sure off the top of my head. The height adjustment can go from moderate all the way to slammed and everything in between.

I am not sure what their official site is to be honest. However, I was happy with them and they make for a good entry-level coilover. I do not have any experience with Megan so I can not speak to that part.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by VicariousVision
Sorry guys, I obviously wasn't paying attention to this thread like I should have been - shame on me.

Yes, they have adjustable dampening. I want to say that they are 16 way adjustable, but I can't remember for sure off the top of my head. The height adjustment can go from moderate all the way to slammed and everything in between.

I am not sure what their official site is to be honest. However, I was happy with them and they make for a good entry-level coilover. I do not have any experience with Megan so I can not speak to that part.
Thanks for the quick reply. Good to hear they have dampening ability. I'm going to assume they came with extenders to adjust dampening?

BTW, are you still selling yours? How many miles on them?

Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 155 Likes on 116 Posts
No.. they don't have extenders for the rear.. That's I think BC Racing coils that come w/ extenders, not a lot of makers come w/ them.. I think G35man04 has/had those.

Even if they did come w/ extenders, you'd still have to do some drilling in the coupes to access the damping **** in the rear when they're installed.. Of course the front ones are easy to access by just lifting the hood.. I set my rears on the 3rd to stiffest setting, and my kids sit in the back as well, and it's very smooth, you just might want to have the front a little "squishier".. I can't cuz of my ride height.

Here is the official site..

http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductC...idproduct=2567

They're not called MDUs.. MDU simply stands for Master Damping Unit.

The brand is Topspeed the shop is here locally in Texas (Addison specifically)..

I believe there's 22-23 levels of damping, definitely more than 16.

Phi picked up Brit's coils.. But EBan still has his for sale.. But looks like 2 folks are in front of you for shipping.. But since you're in HTown, maybe ya'll can figure something out.

https://g35driver.com/forums/dfw-cla...ff-sale-3.html

Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These are 'true' type coilovers? The first post says something about using the bucket, but later you said you don't.... just wanted to clarify.... all the pics I see in the other thread about MDU's look like a the oem type setup using the bucket.... I might just get these for the hell of it....

Old 03-03-2011, 07:39 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
You can do either... The configuration can be set to either way..

I was the first to set it to the true coilover config because I thought the rear was to bouncy..

Setting it up in this manner is definitely the best configuration if you're going really low..

But it can be set in either configuration.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks twalls for the additional input. I'll be sure to check out eban's thread. Im in between these and the Megans right now

Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 PM
I got my MDUs from Top Speed. I love them so far! I have them on for about a week now.

I just read your comment about autoxing with these, Vision. I'll see how they are for me on Sunday.

Last edited by EpyonTC; 03-08-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does anybody know if these are easy to adjust or have instructions on how to adjust them? Height adjustment, not dampening.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Just screw the bottom up and down on the body of the shock/strut..

Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Twalls, I'm a little confused about the TRUE coilover compared to the OEM style....I was running stance TRUE coilovers before and they rear springs were within the strut like the fronts.....the OEM style come separate with the adjustment ring going on top of the spring....so you're saying is that you could put the spring within the rear strut and still adjust the height?.......Sorry if this is a stupid/obvious question but I sold my coilovers because of a financial bind but I'm in the market for coilovers again....Thanks for the input!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:41 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
yes.. that's exactly what I'm saying.. You can unscrew the bottom off of the rear shock, slide the spring over the housing, and then screw the bottom back on...

Rotating the bottom is what adjusts the height of the ride of your vehicle, so that's independent of if the spring is on the shock or not.. You'll still be able to adjust the ride height..

Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 PM
ahhhh...good to know....didn't realize this was possible...so it gives you an option to go lower then the OEM style setup?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Review: MDU Coilovers