ANNOYING Brake/Caliper Squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2010 | 08:30 PM
|
ANNOYING Brake/Caliper Squeal

Hey guys, I've searched already i see that this topic has been covered a few times but no one's seemed to have my same issue:

Here goes.....my right FRONT passenger side brake is squealing like hell now. I originally thought it was the hub assembly and ordered one (now I have to send it back), and I noticed that wasn't the problem because the noise was coming from the brake and/or caliper. Now while searching, I've seen it could either be brake dust, worn pads, or the caliper sticking. It just sounds as if a nice little lube (#pause) or some WD-40 would do the trick. When I brake, it squeals and when I let off the brake...it squeals for about 2 more seconds then fades. I also hear it slightly when I turn to the left. I just want to know if I need completely new brakes or rotors or if its a simple fix as lubing it somehow and then the problem goes away. If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it because as someone else had said...this is completely annoying and embarrassing. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-24-2010 | 10:59 PM
Hey, maybe try disassembling everything and lube everything up? Otherwise what setup are you running? Possibly worn pads and rotors? When was the last time YOU had your brakes serviced? Give us more information.

Old 08-25-2010 | 12:12 AM
|
I personally haven't had my brakes serviced. I bought my car used from a used car dealership this past March. The car is an 05 and I don't know off hand the service history that it had. Any way to find this out? I tried removing the brake and rotor today when I was trying to change out the hub assembly (which I thought was the problem) but the two 22 mm bolts holding the rotor on were stuck and tighter than a b**** so I couldnt get anything off. As far as setup, everything's stock to my knowledge.

Old 08-25-2010 | 08:56 AM
Depending where you got the car from you could possibly get a full service print out. Like I bought mine from a dealership so I got all records from day 1.

You could always bring your car to a brake and muffler shop like Midas and get a free brake check up. Just be sure to tell them that it just started to happened recently and you haven't touched anything otherwise they'll charge you a fee ($25 I believe). Once they drive your car and put it on the lift they'll bring you to the car and explain everything to you. That will be the best option in my opinion. Then you can do everything yourself and save money. Instead of wasting money on random parts you don't need you'll at least know where your problem is. I have the same problem except my front rotors were worn out (can't resurface) so I ordered new Kiriu and axxis pads all around with ss brake lines and ate brake fluid.

My best bet as to why it's making noise is lack of lube and/or brake/rotors being worn out. I'm sure others can chime in with more experience than me, but this is just my experience.

Old 08-25-2010 | 09:38 AM
|
Originally Posted by petro2342
Depending where you got the car from you could possibly get a full service print out. Like I bought mine from a dealership so I got all records from day 1.

You could always bring your car to a brake and muffler shop like Midas and get a free brake check up. Just be sure to tell them that it just started to happened recently and you haven't touched anything otherwise they'll charge you a fee ($25 I believe). Once they drive your car and put it on the lift they'll bring you to the car and explain everything to you. That will be the best option in my opinion. Then you can do everything yourself and save money. Instead of wasting money on random parts you don't need you'll at least know where your problem is. I have the same problem except my front rotors were worn out (can't resurface) so I ordered new Kiriu and axxis pads all around with ss brake lines and ate brake fluid.

My best bet as to why it's making noise is lack of lube and/or brake/rotors being worn out. I'm sure others can chime in with more experience than me, but this is just my experience.

Thanks alot. I don't think there's a Midas around me but there's a brake and alignment place that's close so I'll take it to them and see if they can diagnose the exact problem. Hopefully its nothing more than a little lube that needs to applied.

Old 08-25-2010 | 09:51 AM
I'm pretty sure lube is all that needs done. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2010 | 04:20 PM
Sounds like u need new rotors....

Old 08-25-2010 | 04:47 PM
Pull the wheel off and check your pads... they're probably worn.

Old 08-25-2010 | 04:53 PM
|
Originally Posted by Manual G
Pull the wheel off and check your pads... they're probably worn.

Easier said than done my friend. I tried taking that sucker off yesterday and the bolts wouldn't bulge. I might have to take it to a shop or something.

Old 08-25-2010 | 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by The #GSpot
Easier said than done my friend. I tried taking that sucker off yesterday and the bolts wouldn't bulge. I might have to take it to a shop or something.
Which bolts? The lugnuts or the bolts on the caliper?

Old 08-25-2010 | 05:13 PM
|
Originally Posted by Manual G
Which bolts? The lugnuts or the bolts on the caliper?

The two 22mm caliper bolts.

Old 08-25-2010 | 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by The #GSpot
The two 22mm caliper bolts.
The caliper bolts are not 22mm. Let me find the diagram so we can be on the same page here.

Old 08-25-2010 | 05:21 PM
|
Oh ok. I was following these instructions here on my350.
http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-s...-how-to-2.html

Old 08-25-2010 | 05:24 PM
You have Brembos? Your sig says 05...i was assuming no Brembos.

Old 08-25-2010 | 05:30 PM
Here you go. If you scroll down and look at the part labeled "wear indicator" that could be the cause if your pads are worn.

http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-s...rake-pads.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ANNOYING Brake/Caliper Squeal