Ceramic brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes Ceramic brake pads

I know there are countless threads about brake pads but I haven't found anything talking about my issue specifically.

Over the past few days I started hearing a squeaking noise in my rear right wheel. I didn't think it could be the brake pads since no light came on.

I go to the dealership for a clutch noise and also have them look at the wheel. Turns out the brake pads are worn out and they quote me 400$ for 2 pads + resurfacing the disks. I told them I can probably get a better deal online and left. They just warned me not to buy ceramic since it's going to make noise.

My car is an '07 Coupe 6MT ( without the Brembo package ) and I saw that most of the options for pads are ceramic. From what I read here on the forum the Hawks won't be a good option since I live in cold climate ( Canada ) so what other options do I have ?

OEM are cheap @ 59$

Akebono are also quite cheap.

My question is: Are OEM pads ceramic or metallic ?

Thank you!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
OEM are not ceramic they are semi metallic the difference is the ceramic will stop you faster but will squeal but will also have you stopping shorter and feel less fade.

Hawks would not be my choice your Akebonos are better.
best of luck as hitting a slush pond after your rotors are hot spells warped and pulsating brakes..

Old 12-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by kartkid
OEM are not ceramic they are semi metallic the difference is the ceramic will stop you faster but will squeal but will also have you stopping shorter and feel less fade.

Hawks would not be my choice your Akebonos are better.
best of luck as hitting a slush pond after your rotors are hot spells warped and pulsating brakes..
so basically if I'm fine with the current braking distance, I can stick to OEM semi-metallic right ? 60$ is dirt cheap for oem

Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
the akebono ceramics are quiet. Just go on tirerack.com they have noise rating on them. If you buy the street ceramics and not the race ones they'll be quiet.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
I did cross drilled rotors and new pads for 300 something. Ceramic is the way to go these things last forever and are super cheap. Dealer will rape u nothing more and oem pads suck with all the dust they make.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
the akebono ceramics are quiet. Just go on tirerack.com they have noise rating on them. If you buy the street ceramics and not the race ones they'll be quiet.
I see they are very poorly rated for braking distance. Are they at least as good as the OEM pads ?

Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
I have these pads posiquiet pads, very small amount of brake dust, no brake fade, and stop on a dime.. i also have stop tech slot/cross drill rotors, ss brake lines.. i paid 500 for everything and they sent me blue dot racing brake fluid.

http://cdn.autoanything.com/images/p...brake_pads.jpg

Last edited by broke_as_ajoke; 12-28-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by rmeman
I see they are very poorly rated for braking distance. Are they at least as good as the OEM pads ?
should be fine for daily driving. I had them on my mercedes and they had the same stopping power as stock, but most of the stopping power in a car is in the tires anyways.

If you want really good stopping power, i would get really good summer tires like michelin ps2's.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rmeman
I know there are countless threads about brake pads but I haven't found anything talking about my issue specifically.

Over the past few days I started hearing a squeaking noise in my rear right wheel. I didn't think it could be the brake pads since no light came on.

I go to the dealership for a clutch noise and also have them look at the wheel. Turns out the brake pads are worn out and they quote me 400$ for 2 pads + resurfacing the disks. I told them I can probably get a better deal online and left. They just warned me not to buy ceramic since it's going to make noise.

My car is an '07 Coupe 6MT ( without the Brembo package ) and I saw that most of the options for pads are ceramic. From what I read here on the forum the Hawks won't be a good option since I live in cold climate ( Canada ) so what other options do I have ?

OEM are cheap @ 59$

Akebono are also quite cheap.

My question is: Are OEM pads ceramic or metallic ?

Thank you!
If you like the feel of the oem intial bite characteristic you may want to steer away from ceramic pads. I would like to guess a majority of ceramics will NOT feel as good as the oem pad. Nissan did a good job on these brakes considering their use as a performance street driven luxury car. That being said, I'm running Axxis/PBR ULT pads and they're ceramic and kevlar. I would say they bite at least as hard as stock and make slightly less dust. They squeak rarely only due to the weather and when they do it's not loud at all.

Another pad I would recommend are the Stoptech Superstreet performance pad. I was told they had similar bite to Axxis only a little bit better. I would shop for these pads vs oem and get the least expensive one because they will all be good pads.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by VQdriver
If you like the feel of the oem intial bite characteristic you may want to steer away from ceramic pads. I would like to guess a majority of ceramics will NOT feel as good as the oem pad. Nissan did a good job on these brakes considering their use as a performance street driven luxury car. That being said, I'm running Axxis/PBR ULT pads and they're ceramic and kevlar. I would say they bite at least as hard as stock and make slightly less dust. They squeak rarely only due to the weather and when they do it's not loud at all.

Another pad I would recommend are the Stoptech Superstreet performance pad. I was told they had similar bite to Axxis only a little bit better. I would shop for these pads vs oem and get the least expensive one because they will all be good pads.
these ones ? they are even cheaper

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Stop...i-EVO-350Z-G35

Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
should be fine for daily driving. I had them on my mercedes and they had the same stopping power as stock, but most of the stopping power in a car is in the tires anyways.

If you want really good stopping power, i would get really good summer tires like michelin ps2's.
Most stopping power isn't in the tires. You can have PS2s, have crappy brake pads and have immediate brake fade when you stomp on the pedal.

Spend the money and get some quality brake pads that have good bite when cold. Why? In an emergency situation, your brakes are COLD!

The following users liked this post:
haynV35 (08-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by tonke73
Most stopping power isn't in the tires. You can have PS2s, have crappy brake pads and have immediate brake fade when you stomp on the pedal.

Spend the money and get some quality brake pads that have good bite when cold. Why? In an emergency situation, your brakes are COLD!
understood. my original question was if I was better off with non squeaky OEM or some ceramic.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by tonke73

This is wrong. Tires is what keeps the car on the road. Larger rotors and cailphers only increase braking surface and heat dissipation. The braking system is hydraluic so whether if it bites hard or not has no reflection on stopping power.

Better tires would help with stopping and steering response in a emergency situation more then better pads

Old 12-29-2010, 12:23 AM
To answer the op's question. Most street ceramics aren't completly ceramic to reduce noise. I had akebonos on my Mercedes and it only made noise for the first 10 seconds. Then it was quiet like oem except no brake dust.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
With all my experiences with brake pads on my G, I can honestly say the OEM 05-06 brake pads are the best.... I truly mean that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ceramic brake pads