Compression Rod Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
The vid you posted is a perfect illustration of what I was talking about. You MUST have movement (and Ill guarantee YOURS MOVES TOO) when BOTH wheel suspensions compress or rebound (as in your vid), like when you go over a speed bump. A sway bar or more properly called an ANTI-sway or ANTI-roll bar is to prevent body roll when the suspension loads in a turn. If you took it off completely, you would notice NO difference in straight line travel. Only when you went around a turn and you had excessive body roll. It prevents body roll by loading (in the opposite direction) the two sides of the suspension. In a left hand turn it ADDS weight to the inside tire, thus giving better traction for the "unloaded" side and in the process, stops body roll. The ONLY way it can do that is to move to "twist" in opposite directions like a torsion bar. To do that it MUST move within the bushings. A sway bar contributes NOTHING to the spring loading of the suspension.

If you don't believe me, put your front end on jack stands to unload the supension, then use a jack to move only one side, watch what happens.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot of aftermarket bars do suggest that you grease them and people who have installed them do comment on how often they have to re-grease them to keep them quiet.
Why do the grease thing with the bushings if you must be constantly re-greasing them to keep them quiet. I'll stick to the factory ones which remain quiet without the grease (and without the movement between the bushing and the bar).

The bar doesn't rotate and its a good thing because the bar would be banging against the sub frame and other stuff as it rotates freely up under the car. The bar does not rotate, it flexes.

Some sway bars barely have any clearances at all between the bars and the other components under the car and some bars have some very large offsets and bends to clear the frame. Sorry but it would be very hard to believe that the bar is allowed to rotate under there. I could post pictures on some sways which it would be extremely easy to see that the bar would in now way in hell be able to rotate due to interference from the frame and other suspension members.

There is a very small amount of rotation in the bar caused by the bushing flexing, but it is a very small amount.

I do agree with you on how he sway bar works on cornering, the bar flexes (twists in opposite directions), it does not rotate there either.

I do disagree with you on your believe that the stabilizer bar contributes NOTHING to the spring loading of the suspension. Put in stiffer bars and you will notice the overall ride does get stiffer, this is because the stabilizer bar resists ALL changes in ride height and it don't care if your cornering or going over a bump. I am sure other members her have also noticed a firmer ride when larger bars have been installed. Maybe that is why some manufactures want you to grease their very stiff bars, to do so would soften a very firm ride (allow some bar rotation) and still retain a very firm sway bar and suspension when cornering hard (twisting the bar in opposite directions).

Last edited by TheG35Dude; 01-19-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I put my bars in over two years ago and greased them with the synthetic grease provided. They have not made ANY noise at all over the last 40000 miles.

Second. You are clueless. Your bars DO move, if they didn't your front suspension wouldn't. It's that damn simple. The bushings are nothing more than noise insulation. OEM bushings are softer than the Poly bushings so they transfer less noise. Race cars use metal bushings.

Get under your car and have someone push down on the front or the back. Just look and see for yourself.

Please study this and learn something: http://www.ukcar.com/features/tech/s...n/antiroll.htm

Last edited by Texasscout; 01-16-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Wikipedia has a good explanation as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar,
"If the left and right wheels move together, the bar rotates about its mounting points. If the wheels move relative to each other, the bar is subjected to torsion and forced to twist."

I'm currently running without swaybars while waiting for my SPL endlinks to arrive.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon1978
Wikipedia has a good explanation as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar,
"If the left and right wheels move together, the bar rotates about its mounting points. If the wheels move relative to each other, the bar is subjected to torsion and forced to twist."

I'm currently running without swaybars while waiting for my SPL endlinks to arrive.
We know you're telling the truth, but don't feed the trolls

Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In general if the bushing squeaks replace it and that will almost certainly fix the problem or do as the clueless troll recommends, ignore the real problem and try to fix the squeak by greasing up the worn bushing. If your still undecided talk to the alignment and suspension guy at your local Infinity shop and see what they recommend.