Installing Coils need alignment specs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011 | 12:51 PM
|
Installing Coils need alignment specs

I have tried searching this on here but have had no luck,

So Im installing my BC Racing Coilovers and SPC F&R Camber kits this weekend and was wondering how am I supposed to know the camber angle I want? I went to NTB and made sure they would do the alignment for me with aftermarket coils and camber kits and they told me yes, but I need to know what specs I want them to align it too...

Thanks for any help,
Brennen

Old 02-25-2011 | 01:07 PM
toe alignments are fine with factory parameters. You might max out with front camber even with the SPC kit at around -2degrees depending on how low you go and if you installed the SPC shim kit for additional camber adjustment.

I thought I had my alignment sheet with me but I guess I must've left home. I'll try to post it up for you later, if I find it.

Old 02-26-2011 | 12:59 PM
|
I plan on dropping so the fender is just above the top of the tire...

So about 1.5" in front and 1" in the rear?

But so there is no formula or anything to figure out how much camber I need its just an estimate? Cause I would rather not have my tires wear out super fast...

Old 02-26-2011 | 06:22 PM
Xet
Just take it in and tell them to get as close to factory specs as possible at whatever height you choose to be right for you. Make sure you get toe in spec though, that is way more important than camber for tire life.

Old 02-26-2011 | 06:37 PM
|
Originally Posted by Xet
Just take it in and tell them to get as close to factory specs as possible at whatever height you choose to be right for you. Make sure you get toe in spec though, that is way more important than camber for tire life.
Ohh, ok so factory specs does not mean your at stock ride height? I thought that would align the camber to the stock height which would be pointless...and to make sure I am correct to get my toe in spec means to get it at 0 or as close as possible?

Thanks

Old 02-26-2011 | 06:45 PM
Xet
Originally Posted by 6MT G35 KS
Ohh, ok so factory specs does not mean your at stock ride height? I thought that would align the camber to the stock height which would be pointless...and to make sure I am correct to get my toe in spec means to get it at 0 or as close as possible?

Thanks
What?? No, camber and toe aren't based on ride height. Changing ride height affects them but it doesn't determine what they should be set at besides the fact of trying to fit your wheels/rims. Factory spec has some pos toe, I believe it is 0.10 degrees or something like that but you can search and find the factory specs on here or your alignment store should be able to pull them up. You can set it to 0 but then it would be less performance orientated although you would get increased tire life. Then camber just try to get as close to spec ~1 degree of negative camber while still making sure everything fits fine.

Old 02-26-2011 | 06:50 PM
|
Originally Posted by Xet
What?? No, camber and toe aren't based on ride height. Changing ride height affects them but it doesn't determine what they should be set at besides the fact of trying to fit your wheels/rims. Factory spec has some pos toe, I believe it is 0.10 degrees or something like that but you can search and find the factory specs on here or your alignment store should be able to pull them up. You can set it to 0 but then it would be less performance orientated although you would get increased tire life. Then camber just try to get as close to spec ~1 degree of negative camber while still making sure everything fits fine.
Hmm alright, then why does everyone say you must get camber kits when lowering you car? As you explain it, it seems as camber kits are not necessary unless you are trying to fit your wheels?

Old 02-26-2011 | 08:35 PM
Xet
Originally Posted by 6MT G35 KS
Hmm alright, then why does everyone say you must get camber kits when lowering you car? As you explain it, it seems as camber kits are not necessary unless you are trying to fit your wheels?
Not really, as you drop you will increase negative camber just by doing that. Toe will also change due to ride height. Your camber kit is to adjust that camber back towards stock specs to preserve your tires. You don't technically need camber kits, but if you want your tires to survive longer you should. But you could just get toe back into spec and drive with whatever camber your tires end up at.