Pirates coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by h23sdominate
They need to make these for the X!!!!!!!
Can't you put coils on the X? Or am I missing something?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
they make coils for the x but the x has a different front strut then the coupes or regular rwd sedans.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Update: The 03 automatic sedan had the fenders rolled today.

I'm real motivated to continue with camber arm, toe bolt, toe arm, 19" wheel and tire mods and tests, so keep checking in to the pirate thread.

Still the project sedan has natural camber, 2" drop front, 1 3/4" rear, 50% stiff front, 67% stiff rear same as it has been since March only about 200 miles on the project car. 30 miles of very smooth and aggressive weight shifting driving today now that the rear tires no longer rub.

Test Drive:
I pushed the suspension hard in flat left and right turns, banked L&R turns, flat out drag race tail dip test, uphill drag race tail dip test, fast & uphill over quick bumps, fast and downhill over quick bumps.

Nothing extreme like drift sliding but quite aggressive for county roads.

Good news, these new pirate coilovers are getting the job done under all those conditions.

Next, I'll set the rear shock valving dampening to 74% stiff and evaluate again. 50% stiff on front is still perfect. Just my curiosity I plan to play with front shock valves. The front will be stiffened just to see what performance change is there to be discovered.

This is important for a second and expert opinion.
My wife is impressed with the OEM similar, smooth quality ride of the sedan as I chauffered her at county road speed limit this afternoon.

I'm ramping up on the project sedan now. woohoo

Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sweet!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Update: I've re-set the shock valve dampening F&R.

Pirate coilovers drive better stiffened. Also, all brands probably too.
My project 03 sedan is still OEM similar, quick thump on small road bumps, no body roll in turns (almost zero), very smooth tracking at all speeds and braking rates.

Front valves are now 67% stiff, Rear valves are 74% stiff.

Coilovers are all about ride adjustablility and learning about custom suspension dynamics.
I would not have thought that stiffer shock dampening is better but that is what I am learning. Nice to be surprised in a good way.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Great to hear about the coils and that you'll be ramping up the project. Can't wait to hear more updates soon!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
Ill check those this week and report back. I am hoping that it's just the LCA bolt or something simple like that. I need to lower the car another 1/4" anyways.
Self quote

So just as an update. I did lower the car a little bit more and tripple checked that everything was tight. I still had the clunking sound (along with the accasional fender liner rub) so I emailed the seller. They were quick to respond and were ready to help me troubleshoot. Part of the process was to send a video that recorded the sound so they can hear it. The next day I started the recording as I was entering my car, the clunk was not very noticable since I was inside the car while recording. The next day I had my buddy record as I pulled into the driveway, out of the driveway, drove by over a (unexplainable) high manhole cover, and could not duplicate the sound. Very odd. I am hesitant to email him back ( I did ask him to give me a week to ablige) because the noise vanished as soon as I emailed him. it's been well over a week and 50+ miles with no clunk...I think that I am going to write this one off.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:19 AM
Guess the clunk gave up too. Thanks for the update. I suppose you are saying you like the new ride height and handling.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Yes and yes. I would like to go another 1/4 lower but I already rub enough.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
Self quote

So just as an update. I did lower the car a little bit more and tripple checked that everything was tight. I still had the clunking sound (along with the accasional fender liner rub) so I emailed the seller. They were quick to respond and were ready to help me troubleshoot. Part of the process was to send a video that recorded the sound so they can hear it. The next day I started the recording as I was entering my car, the clunk was not very noticable since I was inside the car while recording. The next day I had my buddy record as I pulled into the driveway, out of the driveway, drove by over a (unexplainable) high manhole cover, and could not duplicate the sound. Very odd. I am hesitant to email him back ( I did ask him to give me a week to ablige) because the noise vanished as soon as I emailed him. it's been well over a week and 50+ miles with no clunk...I think that I am going to write this one off.
I'll bet money one of the rear springs didn't seat on the spring mount properly. Needed a few good knocks to push it into place.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:27 PM
I wish that was all it was, but the sound was definitely coming from the front driver side suspension mainly. Im about to go give it another shot before emailing the seller back.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 PM
pirates, These MDU are great. Just completed 500 miles of all types of highway (<85mph) and many secondary roads on the 2" dropped coilovers with 19's.

These pirate coilovers are a prize of a ride under all conditions, wet and dry.

The shock dampening 67% firm F, 75% firm R is VERY road compliant on compression and rebound. Quiet movement on the pistons and slight hollow vibe because of the ~1/4"aluminum pillow mount at all 4 body contact corners compared to the OEM 16ga dropped forged steel mounts.

Spring rates are smooth riding on what ever interstate road change conditions you'll find cruising 70mph -85mph. Very Nice.

The low center of gravity ride is impressive for the sedan and steering is tight.

I have to suggest that any clunks or thumps on the suspension can be avoided with methodical installation.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^^mine will be here in a couple days!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
This material may not be suitable for all audiences.
I hate the sea and everything that's in it.

But in yer case Chatt350gt Tis a good place to be in a couple o'days.

Hope yer meaning to paint this thread over with yer findin's matee. Many eer among us are waitin on testimonial; fair or foul.
When yee rig those chinee coilover's on the G, make the sea trial & proclaim thy truth.

Please come and meet the rest of us virtual and damned pennypinchers on this err voyage.

Did I mention on previous threads the pirate owner becomes.. (grimly) a lost soul...?"HahA, Yarrr

Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Haha you crack me up toro with ye pirate talk lol..your in roswell ga so I'm sure ill meet you one day lol and I will definitely post my findings on there once I get them dialed in..I don't think ill be disappointed..can't wait tho..they are stuck in processing in new york at the as we speak so hopefully it won't take too long to arrive....going to do the install myself..any pointers toro? Like using the stock hardware instead of the fasteners on the mdu?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pirates coilovers