UNUSUAL sound at my front left wheel! SOS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNUSUAL sound at my front left wheel! SOS

hey hey

you know when you drive next to a wall or cars and you can hear everything going on with your car? i just noticed that there's a SWISHING sound as if there's something rubbing as i drive. i can hear it clearly when i'm driving 20-35 mph and the soft swishing/scraping sound coincides with my wheel rotation. AND when i brake, there's a grinding sound. as if something is being dragged on the ground underneath me... does anyone know what's going on and solutions?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Wheel bearing.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by fullvietFX
Wheel bearing.
oh dang. sounds serious.. what to do??

Old 04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes

its not that serious (if its that ) its not like ur tranny dropped just wear and tear .... you can do it urself or which i would prefer getting it done by a profession shop

Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by 07GRider
its not that serious (if its that ) its not like ur tranny dropped just wear and tear .... you can do it urself or which i would prefer getting it done by a profession shop
how urgent is it? my wheels aren't going to suddenly stop rotating right??? ><;;

are there any recommendations for parts? i'm currently residing in LA. any shop recommendations?

thanks a lot 07GRider

Old 04-28-2011, 11:46 PM
so now i'm confused. i went to a body shop and had a technician drive around with me and he was sure that it was a wheel bearing issue.

then i went to the infiniti dealership in santa monica and they told me that wheel bearing issues occur when turning; not when going straight. but for my situation, it's the exact opposite. when i'm making a turn it doesn't make any noise.. it's when i am cruising straight. any thoughts?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is like a like 1 lump once in a while or a steady sound ??? also what happen when you go over a speed bump or into a driveway??

Old 04-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by 07GRider
it is like a like 1 lump once in a while or a steady sound ??? also what happen when you go over a speed bump or into a driveway??
It's a steady sound.. When I pull up into my driveway I hear the scraping sound pretty well (esp when I break). Speed bumps... I'm not too sure about. I think it sounds fine when riding neutral over them. It's most prominent when I get off the freeway and coming down the offramp to a stop at the light..

Old 04-30-2011, 03:06 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Infiniti is full of ****,

wheel bearings make noise while going stright but stop while turning, when the car turns it sends force making the lose bearing tighter.

any mechanice will tell you also, ive done my own diag, as well has other confirm. We took out the bearing and the last 3 times were right, it was bad( on different cars, not the G)

Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your brake pads. It sounds like it may be the studs on the pad are grinding into the rotor. In regards to the wheel bearings, there is potential that could be the cause. I replaced my front wheel bearings several days ago, when I tested the bearings, by lifting the car in the air and checking for play in the wheels, there was none. As soon as I got to the passenger wheel bearing itself, when spun, it felt like it had sand in it.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by 05Scoobyroo
Check your brake pads. It sounds like it may be the studs on the pad are grinding into the rotor. In regards to the wheel bearings, there is potential that could be the cause. I replaced my front wheel bearings several days ago, when I tested the bearings, by lifting the car in the air and checking for play in the wheels, there was none. As soon as I got to the passenger wheel bearing itself, when spun, it felt like it had sand in it.
i recently discovered that it's the rear left wheel. one of my coworkers told me that any time i do work on the wheels i'm suppose to get them realigned.. is this true?

as for checking the stud and pad contact, what should i look for? is there a site you can link me so you don't have to go thru the trouble of explaining it to me?

thanks!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3697720_n.jpg

if you follow the link above, that is what my rear brake pads look like.. why is the pad on top worn to the metal while the pad on the bottom is almost completely there?? is this normal?

i no longer think it is a wheel bearing issue but a break pad issue. any feedback?

i replace both brakes correct?

Last edited by Natmats; 05-01-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Natmats
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3697720_n.jpg

if you follow the link above, that is what my rear brake pads look like.. why is the pad on top worn to the metal while the pad on the bottom is almost completely there?? is this normal?

i no longer think it is a wheel bearing issue but a break pad issue. any feedback?

i replace both brakes correct?
If your rear brake pad looks like that, yes, replace all of your brake pads to be on the safe side. When I first changed out my factory brake pads on my brembos at like 40K miles, my inner passenger side rear brake pad was the same exact way. I had to replace the rear rotors due to this also (damage was only to the passenger side, but always to brakes in an axle set). I don't think its abnormal, but I can say since I have changed to non-oem pads, I haven't noticed this issue when I changed my pads for the second time.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by 05Scoobyroo
If your rear brake pad looks like that, yes, replace all of your brake pads to be on the safe side. When I first changed out my factory brake pads on my brembos at like 40K miles, my inner passenger side rear brake pad was the same exact way. I had to replace the rear rotors due to this also (damage was only to the passenger side, but always to brakes in an axle set). I don't think its abnormal, but I can say since I have changed to non-oem pads, I haven't noticed this issue when I changed my pads for the second time.
I ordered stop tech street performance pads today. Should I shoot for changing out the rotors too?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Natmats
I ordered stop tech street performance pads today. Should I shoot for changing out the rotors too?
I personally would replacd all the pads and rotors. But, if your front pads are good, and there are no issues (warped rotors) in the front, you can get away with just doing the rear pads and rotors. Im certain that rotor with the pad resembling what what was in the picture has a deep groove on that brake pad's side.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: UNUSUAL sound at my front left wheel! SOS