136K miles and there is still clunking and vibrations GREAT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Thanks for the info, Wilg35j

After more research online, I think I'm going to replace my drivers side compression rod, I think the ball joint IS bad. I hear a popping when going slow over bumps. I'm hoping this will solve my gas pedal vibration on the highway too.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
sorry to bring back an old thread, but did swapping racks get rid of the issue ?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
I don't even remember what the original problem was, but my gas pedal still vibrates really bad. I've replaced so much and put so many more miles on the car since then too. Sorry I can't really help...what symptoms do you have?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by AARONHL
I don't even remember what the original problem was, but my gas pedal still vibrates really bad. I've replaced so much and put so many more miles on the car since then too. Sorry I can't really help...what symptoms do you have?
I've had a front clunking that has started appearing after I began changing out to stiffer bushings some ~2 years ago. I started out with SPL compression rod bushings that made way too much noise and a harsh metallic bang going over even little things like expansion joints and uneven surfaces. This was also with whiteline lower control arm bushings installed.

Now i've swapped to whiteline compression rod bushings and the clunk is still there but much more muffled and a lot less metal on metal-ish. I'm apprehensive to assume that its my whiteline compression rod bushings causing the noise as people here don't typically report noise with those. Instead i'm beginning to suspect that the compression rod and whatever bushing is in there is simply serving to muffle or pronounce the noise.

I've installed new compression rods when swapping to whiteline bushings to eliminate the ball joint on those as the culprit. I've also installed Moonface roll center adjusters which eliminates the ball joint on the bottom of the front knuckle. The sway bar endlinks are powergrid and relatively new. The struts are HKS coils and appear to be in very good shape. That leaves only a few spots:

- The steering rack
- Hotchkiss sway bar and it's bushings
- Cusco upper A-arms, which are starting to get old ~100K miles, but appear to be in good shape

...but yea, hunting down the noise sucks.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Row2k
I've had a front clunking that has started appearing after I began changing out to stiffer bushings some ~2 years ago. I started out with SPL compression rod bushings that made way too much noise and a harsh metallic bang going over even little things like expansion joints and uneven surfaces. This was also with whiteline lower control arm bushings installed.

Now i've swapped to whiteline compression rod bushings and the clunk is still there but much more muffled and a lot less metal on metal-ish. I'm apprehensive to assume that its my whiteline compression rod bushings causing the noise as people here don't typically report noise with those. Instead i'm beginning to suspect that the compression rod and whatever bushing is in there is simply serving to muffle or pronounce the noise.

I've installed new compression rods when swapping to whiteline bushings to eliminate the ball joint on those as the culprit. I've also installed Moonface roll center adjusters which eliminates the ball joint on the bottom of the front knuckle. The sway bar endlinks are powergrid and relatively new. The struts are HKS coils and appear to be in very good shape. That leaves only a few spots:

- The steering rack
- Hotchkiss sway bar and it's bushings
- Cusco upper A-arms, which are starting to get old ~100K miles, but appear to be in good shape

...but yea, hunting down the noise sucks.
discuss here...

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...eshooting.html