136K miles and there is still clunking and vibrations GREAT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
136K miles and there is still clunking and vibrations GREAT

PLEASE HELP

I'm experiencing clunking and vibrations which seems to be coming from the front passenger side wheel area. Overall the front end feels loose and bumps/cracks are giving the car a beating.

I've replaced/installed:
Inner and outer tie rods, both sides
Compression rod bushings, both sides (ball joint ends seemed good)
End links, four sides
Wheel bearings, four sides
Shocks and springs, four sides
Camber arms and toe bolts, four sides
Tires are about a year old

Some observations:
Experiencing looseness and extra vibrations in the front, especially when driving over cracks or rough patches.
The front passenger wheel has a mind of its own when hitting bumps by not tracking straight and overcoming the rough patch like it should.
Rumbling from front passenger wheel area when turning left at slow speeds.
Most of the vibrations are felt through the gas pedal and floor by feet. Some are felt through the steering wheel.
Replacing the tie rods made the steering very tight. Although, the steering wheel slightly shakes side to side, barely noticeable.

I'm thinking my lower control arm (or bushing) needs to be replaced, but my bushing doesn't look anywhere near as mangled as some of the pictures I've seen here.

I'm also thinking it could be a worn ball joint on the knuckle/hub, but don't know the symptoms when that ball joint fails.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Aaron

Last edited by AARONHL; 08-20-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:20 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Honestly with all you've done it sounds like it could be a bad shock. How old are they? Also you didn't mention alignment, is that in spec? One of our local members has a worn ball joint on his driver's side and it doesn't cause the symptoms you are describing.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Mainly it's just the vibration through the gas pedal that annoys me the most.

I bought 350Z shocks over a year ago, the seller said they had about 5K miles on them. So they probably have 40K miles on them at the most. I also have Hotchkiss linear springs, which ride just as soft as stock. There is no shock fluid dripping from the dust boot.

I had a perfect alignment until last month when I replaced the passenger side inner and outer tie rods. The alignment still isn't too bad, meaning the wheel returns to the center without any assistance after turning. Although the car doesn't drive exactly straight it's not the worst it's been in past years.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
You can try changing power steering fluid. My front end was kind of loose, especially when going over bumps; I was gonna replace the steering rack, but after changing the power steering fluid, I was surprised how much it improves the front end looseness. Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
same problem i had drove me NUTS!!!!

change the shocks,

then very important, you have to get the new bellows kit from MOOG! You can buy that from a local Advance Auto Parts.

THIS IS A MUST DO!!!!

After I changed my shocks and replaced the bump stoppers (bellows kit) the problem is SOLVED!!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the power steering fluid advice. I should probably do that along with the brake fluid.

I'm having a hard time believing it's a shock problem, but I guess I'll get under the car and check the shocks again. The bump stops I got with the shocks were close to brand new.

I'm wondering if my springs suck and are fatiguing...

Any other ideas?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
same problem i had drove me NUTS!!!!

change the shocks,

then very important, you have to get the new bellows kit from MOOG! You can buy that from a local Advance Auto Parts.

THIS IS A MUST DO!!!!

After I changed my shocks and replaced the bump stoppers (bellows kit) the problem is SOLVED!!!!
Did you have vibration felt only through the gas pedal or just overall clunking on the bumps?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Did you have vibration felt only through the gas pedal or just overall clunking on the bumps?
huge bangs and clunks on the most minimal bumps.... i'd hit a highway dividing marker and it felt like losing a wheel.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I really don't think it's a shock or upper shock mount problem. I feel a rattle immediately after hitting a bump or change in pavement height directly under my feet towards the passenger side. There is also a vibration through the gas pedal at all time on the highway.

I'm thinking it's either my warped brake rotors or sway bar bushings? What are the symptoms of worn sway bar bushings?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Been trying to diagnose the problem...It's not a problem from only the right side. The car rides smoothly when my foot is off the gas pedal.

The vibration felt though the gas pedal feels like there is something loose under the car when hitting bumps and even driving normally on the highway. It is a pretty steady vibration and grinding feel. I know you're going to say we only have an electrical wire connected to the gas pedal BUT SOMETHING IS UP

Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How are your engine mounts? If you look at the subframe, where the rear differnential meets up, do you see a black fluid line dripping down the metal? If so, your rear diff subframe bushing is shot.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
Been trying to diagnose the problem...It's not a problem from only the right side. The car rides smoothly when my foot is off the gas pedal.

The vibration felt though the gas pedal feels like there is something loose under the car when hitting bumps and even driving normally on the highway. It is a pretty steady vibration and grinding feel. I know you're going to say we only have an electrical wire connected to the gas pedal BUT SOMETHING IS UP
should not be any vibration in gas pedal: more:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4191839AAkDLEh

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by 05Scoobyroo
How are your engine mounts? If you look at the subframe, where the rear differnential meets up, do you see a black fluid line dripping down the metal? If so, your rear diff subframe bushing is shot.
How can I diagnose engine mounts? I will check out the rear diff bushing, but as far as I know it was OK months ago.

And I know the gas pedal is a drive-by-wire, that is what is stumping me the most!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts
Hey aaron did you ever solve your problem, im having the same clunking on the passenger side and i feel it on the gas pedal, i replaced passenger side strut mount and shocks, sway bar links, lower ball joints, compression rod bushings and upper control arms, i havent replaced tie rods, rack and pinion bushings and i read that engine mounts could cause this sound too, would appreciate the help.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
It has gotten way better since I replaced the rear tires (rear were bald, front were fine) and had all four wheels balanced.

I still have a vibration through the gas pedal when on the highway, mostly going over 30mph. I'll hit a crack or bump in the road and feel so much feedback through the gas pedal. Sometimes it feels like a springing sound/sensation coming from the outside of the wheel to the firewall.

I hope it's not the engine mount. That would be a job and a half. I have no way to diagnose it because the engine isn't moving that much when testing it.

Wondering if it could be my lower control arm bushings?

The vibration is sooooo annoying. I will be replacing the front rotors soon as well as upgrading to the 05/06 calipers. Maybe my WARPED rotors are causing the vibration, even when not braking?

Is your car lowered? Do you have front camber arms?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 136K miles and there is still clunking and vibrations GREAT