Big Brake Upgrade: Any suggestion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brakes Big Brake Upgrade: Any suggestion?

n00b here, so bear with me.

I daily-drive a 07 G35 coupe AT (non-brembo) with 132,000 km on it. I bought the car 2.5 year back with 96,000 km from a 2nd-hand dealer in GTA (Canada). It was a leased car and probably never had any brake job done.

I had a brake job done just over a year back with the same dealer after I found a crack on one of the rear rotors. It was kinda rush job and they replaced F&R rotors with new pads. It didn't improve my braking performance significantly, but I got rid of the vibration while braking. I don't go to tracks or street-race. But I drive little aggressively than avg both locally & on HWY. But again, I'm always lenient on brakes as this is my old habit from my home country where most cars are re-conditioned and didn't have brand new braking systems.

These are what I've now (not sure about the brands)
- Extreme rotors (both drilled & slotted with zinc coat)
- HBS pads
- Stock calipers

After I installed new winter tires for my 17" rims a month back, I'm not comfortable with my brakes. FYI, I use stock 19" wheels/tires for summer and 17" wheels/tires for winter. I've to force 30/40% more on the brakes to achieve same stopping distance. It feels lot weaker than before. There is no screeching sound but it does vibrate when I'm stopping for a signal from 65+ km/h. I checked with different shops including Mufflerman and they all said brakes are okay.

Under this circumstance, is it time to go for Big Brake kits (incl calipers)? Or, should I bleed brake fluid or try something else before big bucks for brakes? My rotors seem like new to me. Rear calipers seem wearing out while front ones look good.

If I choose to replace full brake, what would you recommend? Will aftermarket full brakes will improve my braking experience significantly? I liked CZP's Akebono 14" kits; but not sure about sizing as I use 2 set of wheels annually (19" summer & 17" winter) and live in Canada . I wish I had Brembo

I would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
In my opinion, for your driving a big brake kit is unnecessary.

Akebonos are a pretty popular setup, but you'd need to check the clearance for the wheels you plan to run. The calipers are quite large.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rossei
n00b here, so bear with me.

I daily-drive a 07 G35 coupe AT (non-brembo) with 132,000 km on it. I bought the car 2.5 year back with 96,000 km from a 2nd-hand dealer in GTA (Canada). It was a leased car and probably never had any brake job done.

I had a brake job done just over a year back with the same dealer after I found a crack on one of the rear rotors. It was kinda rush job and they replaced F&R rotors with new pads. It didn't improve my braking performance significantly, but I got rid of the vibration while braking. I don't go to tracks or street-race. But I drive little aggressively than avg both locally & on HWY. But again, I'm always lenient on brakes as this is my old habit from my home country where most cars are re-conditioned and didn't have brand new braking systems.

These are what I've now (not sure about the brands)
- Extreme rotors (both drilled & slotted with zinc coat)
- HBS pads
- Stock calipers

After I installed new winter tires for my 17" rims a month back, I'm not comfortable with my brakes. FYI, I use stock 19" wheels/tires for summer and 17" wheels/tires for winter. I've to force 30/40% more on the brakes to achieve same stopping distance. It feels lot weaker than before. There is no screeching sound but it does vibrate when I'm stopping for a signal from 65+ km/h. I checked with different shops including Mufflerman and they all said brakes are okay.

Under this circumstance, is it time to go for Big Brake kits (incl calipers)? Or, should I bleed brake fluid or try something else before big bucks for brakes? My rotors seem like new to me. Rear calipers seem wearing out while front ones look good.

If I choose to replace full brake, what would you recommend? Will aftermarket full brakes will improve my braking experience significantly? I liked CZP's Akebono 14" kits; but not sure about sizing as I use 2 set of wheels annually (19" summer & 17" winter) and live in Canada . I wish I had Brembo

I would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks.
I got stock brakes and am running 17s for winter and they barely clear. You'll probably need 18s if you want to go BBK.

Currently running Stoptech cryo rotors with their street pads.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
You probably won't be able to use your winter wheels with a BBK, not sure if thats the case with the Akebonos. Just get a good set of pads and stainless steel lines.

And why do you think your rear calipers are wearing out? I'm assuming you meant pads/rotors.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
You probably won't be able to use your winter wheels with a BBK, not sure if thats the case with the Akebonos. Just get a good set of pads and stainless steel lines.

And why do you think your rear calipers are wearing out? I'm assuming you meant pads/rotors.
Sorry for late response.

I meant my rear calipers look terrible compared to the front ones. I know they don't wear out rather just stop working; but I still feel they don't work properly. I recall when I changed my rotors&pads a year ago; it didn't improve my braking that much.

I tried different braking in current conditions. It vibrates a bit, needs more forces frequently; but doesn't go one direction (when I leave steering wheel). The car keeps damn straight.

Now if I'm stuck with stock calipers for my 17" winter wheels; what choices I have for rotors and pads. I know there is plenty of discussion like it; but I'm still new in brakes.

What could be best combo for street performance? (Never shipped any auto parts from USA yet)

Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM
RCL
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
For your purposes blank rotors and hawk hps pads would be more than good enough. Thats what I use now in my 06 coupe and it works great on track as well on the street.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:07 PM
DVG
Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts
Your 17" wheels wont clear akebonos. 19" should.

I dont know about your rotors, but pads make a big diference. My pads are Canadian tire garbage. When I am trying to do a burnout, I am literally standing on the brakes, but the car keeps moving forward. Makes for some weak burnout.

Im going with akebonos soon, but I wont be winter driving anymore!

Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by RCL
For your purposes blank rotors and hawk hps pads would be more than good enough. Thats what I use now in my 06 coupe and it works great on track as well on the street.
he lives in Canada, I would not recommend Hawk HPS's for inclement weather locations.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
he lives in Canada, I would not recommend Hawk HPS's for inclement weather locations.
You're right. It's my daily-drive, hence need something that will fit for all weather 17" to 19" wheel base.

I don't get it when Tirerack shows same products (i.e. 332/345/355mm Brembo GT Kit) for both base (17") and sports-suspension (19") models. And what's "built b4 Aug 06" or "built on or b4 Aug 06", well I always choose the 2nd one which has bigger range I guess.

My current rotors are some "Extreme" brand, drilled & slotted. Mufflerman said they wouldn't be able to drill for newer pads, so I've to change both rotors & pads. Is it right?

Well, I'm ready to change everything re: brakes. Just waiting for your valid suggestions

Thanks to everyone who are putting their thoughts though.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 PM
DVG
I wouldnt run drilled and slotted rotors. I dont really understand what "Mufflerman said they wouldn't be able to drill for newer pads, so I've to change both rotors & pads. Is it right?" means though.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by DVG
I wouldnt run drilled and slotted rotors. I dont really understand what "Mufflerman said they wouldn't be able to drill for newer pads, so I've to change both rotors & pads. Is it right?" means though.
Well, I went to Mufflerman few days back to check on some rear noise. So, I had a talk re: replacing my brakes with the tech there, and he said he wouldn't be able to put on new pads on my rotors since they are drilled/slotted. I didn't get it either why he would need to drill again.

Apart from it, I would probably replace everything rotors, pads & lines if not calipers.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
DVG
That seems...odd I dont think theres any reason you wouldnt be able to change your pads normally.

If you want a small upgrade, go for 2 piston front calipers. They were standard on later model Gs and Zs. I think Zs implemented them in 06, as well as g coupes, and g sedans implemented them in 05. not sure at all though

Old 12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
he has an '07, so he already has the 2 piston caliper in the front.

I'll echo what others said. Hawk HPS or HP+ pads paired with Centric 125 high-carbon plain face rotors.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:06 PM
DVG
woops, didnt catch that.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by sammy_G
he has an '07, so he already has the 2 piston caliper in the front.

I'll echo what others said. Hawk HPS or HP+ pads paired with Centric 125 high-carbon plain face rotors.
I've checked them on Tirerack (07 G35 Base Model). Centric 125 High Carbon are only for front, there is only one called Centric Plain 120 for rear. And Hawk Composites or Ceramics for Canadian weather? Amazing enough, Tirerack doesn't show any brake product other than brakelines for 07 G35 Sports-suspension model. Any clue?

I'll remember your advice. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Upgrade: Any suggestion?