Loud rubbing sound when I brake on hills.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loud rubbing sound when I brake on hills.

Long story into a short one: I replaced my brake pads, DIY style. Was told I needed new rotors so I bought them shortly after, haven't put them on yet cause I've been swamped with my classes. Anyways. For braking while driving, I have to pump the brakes once and then on the 2nd attempt it'll be more stiff(?) like, the brakes would engage right at the top of the pedal which feels awesome. Sort of scary when you need to panic brake in traffic cause on the first pump I'll brake to the floor, then I hear the ABS "fart" sound, and come within a few inches of the car in front.

ISSUE:
On a hill, when I roll to a stop and completely stop the car with my brakes. It'll make this loudish rubbing sound that you can sort of feel throughout the whole car's body. You sort of hear a lot of big trucks/SUVs make this noise sometimes too. It's a lower pitched sound, sort of like rubber being forcefully rubbed on metal. I'll try to get a video soon but just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas.

Could thin rotors be a cause?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you have much bigger problems than the rotors. Brakes are not something to take chances on and I don't really want to guess over a written description online but you may have a leak, bad calipers or an internal leak in the master cylinder, the abs pump, etc. or possibly some kind of grease contamination in your pads that is causing them to slip. The point is I am just guessing at the many factors.

I always advise people to try to fix their cars themselves rather than just take it in but with brakes you have to know what you are doing. They aren't that complicated but you really need to be sure that they are safe and your repairs are perfect. If you don't know what the issue is just from experience, try to find someone local who can diagnose it for you with certainty. Even if you have to take it in, you might end up spending a lot less than guessing at it based on reading up on the internet and getting it wrong and either having to spend more in parts or worse ending up in an accident.

The following users liked this post:
ImElvis (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMAplaya2
I think you have much bigger problems than the rotors. Brakes are not something to take chances on and I don't really want to guess over a written description online but you may have a leak, bad calipers or an internal leak in the master cylinder, the abs pump, etc. or possibly some kind of grease contamination in your pads that is causing them to slip. The point is I am just guessing at the many factors.

I always advise people to try to fix their cars themselves rather than just take it in but with brakes you have to know what you are doing. They aren't that complicated but you really need to be sure that they are safe and your repairs are perfect. If you don't know what the issue is just from experience, try to find someone local who can diagnose it for you with certainty. Even if you have to take it in, you might end up spending a lot less than guessing at it based on reading up on the internet and getting it wrong and either having to spend more in parts or worse ending up in an accident.
I was planning on having them done before, but around $500 for pad and rotor replacement didn't sound too great at the time. Bought the pads myself and saved a few hundred. I'll take it to a family-friend mechanic for a look then. Thank you!