Lowering springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 01:43 AM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Lowering springs

Trying to figure out the smartest/simplest/cheapest way to lower my 06 coupe about an inch. Lowering springs? I see the cheapest ones on eBay for like $80. Are they worth it? Springs don't seem to be something I would worry too much on being eBay quality about, unlike a control arm or something. Or should I go with a name brand like Eibach or Tein? What do you guys think?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 AM
Received 194 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up Here's your solution

Go with the Tanabe NF210s. I have a set and they only lower the car 1 inch in the front and .6 inches in the rear (a little less than an inch in the rear). They are only 5 percent stiffer than stock so the ride is pretty comfortable. I also have a set of twenties on my car with 255 35 r20 in the front and 275 30 r20s in the rear. No rubbing, no buffing. The ride is beautiful. I paid just over $200 for mine and haven't looked back since. Next I'll be adding the Tanaabe swaybars.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:31 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by PLENUMCOUPE
Trying to figure out the smartest/simplest/cheapest way to lower my 06 coupe about an inch. Lowering springs? I see the cheapest ones on eBay for like $80. Are they worth it? Springs don't seem to be something I would worry too much on being eBay quality about, unlike a control arm or something. Or should I go with a name brand like Eibach or Tein? What do you guys think?
Smartest? A set of coilovers from a quality reputable company with spring rates high enough to prevent bottoming out and appropriately valved digressive shocks matched to the spring rate, with camber and toe arms to keep your alignment in spec, and roll center adjusters to bring your roll center back up.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Thumbs up Coil overs are NOT your solution for a mild drop

When the subject of lowering a car comes up, why does so many people push coil overs on members. For a mild drop a good set of springs will do an excellent job as long as the struts and shocks are in good working order. Coil over systems are overkill for someone wanting a mild drop and will never see track time although a good set of springs will do wonders on the track as well. Most guys on here just use coil overs to go as low as possible but, unless you're really into racing it's a waste of money and who wants to constantly keep adjusting the springs and lets not forget adjusting the damping as well.

When lowering your car, you also have to think about the roads you'll be traveling on. Are they smooth, rough, a mixture of both. You can also go too low and put stress on other suspension components. Also, think about the look you're trying to achieve with your car. Looks should never be more important than form and function. I see so many guys on this site buying more upgrades than they need only to sell those upgrades later and try and get their money back.

I would rather do my research and spend a little money on the right components than spend a lot of money on components I don't need. Remember a penny saved is a penny earned. Plus with the money you'll save on purchasing the RIGHT components you can use towards your next mod.

Like I said my Tanabe NF210's are beautiful. They drop the car an inch in the front and .6 inches in the rear. The ride is 5% stiffer than stock. There's no bounce, I can barely get one finger between the fender gap, I can't get two fingers between the gap in the rear. They don't sag when I have rear passengers. They're a quality product. And the compliments I get never stop. In short money well spent.

The following users liked this post:
redguitarfreak (01-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
When the subject of lowering a car comes up, why does so many people push coil overs on members. For a mild drop a good set of springs will do an excellent job as long as the struts and shocks are in good working order. Coil over systems are overkill for someone wanting a mild drop and will never see track time although a good set of springs will do wonders on the track as well. Most guys on here just use coil overs to go as low as possible but, unless you're really into racing it's a waste of money and who wants to constantly keep adjusting the springs and lets not forget adjusting the damping as well. When lowering your car, you also have to think about the roads you'll be traveling on. Are they smooth, rough, a mixture of both. You can also go too low and put stress on other suspension components. Also, think about the look you're trying to achieve with your car. Looks should never be more important than form and function. I see so many guys on this site buying more upgrades than they need only to sell those upgrades later and try and get their money back. I would rather do my research and spend a little money on the right components than spend a lot of money on components I don't need. Remember a penny saved is a penny earned. Plus with the money you'll save on purchasing the RIGHT components you can use towards your next mod. Like I said my Tanabe NF210's are beautiful. They drop the car an inch in the front and .6 inches in the rear. The ride is 5% stiffer than stock. There's no bounce, I can barely get one finger between the fender gap, I can't get two fingers between the gap in the rear. They don't sag when I have rear passengers. They're a quality product. And the compliments I get never stop. In short money well spent.
Appreciate the response Brooks and couldn't agree more. I'm not doing big mods; just cheap simple mods that satisfy me - K&N intake, plenum spacer, thin wheel spacers, strut bar, Koni shocks, and now thinking about the lowering springs. BTW what camber kit did u go with?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
When the subject of lowering a car comes up, why does so many people push coil overs on members. For a mild drop a good set of springs will do an excellent job as long as the struts and shocks are in good working order. Coil over systems are overkill for someone wanting a mild drop and will never see track time although a good set of springs will do wonders on the track as well. Most guys on here just use coil overs to go as low as possible but, unless you're really into racing it's a waste of money and who wants to constantly keep adjusting the springs and lets not forget adjusting the damping as well.

When lowering your car, you also have to think about the roads you'll be traveling on. Are they smooth, rough, a mixture of both. You can also go too low and put stress on other suspension components. Also, think about the look you're trying to achieve with your car. Looks should never be more important than form and function. I see so many guys on this site buying more upgrades than they need only to sell those upgrades later and try and get their money back.

I would rather do my research and spend a little money on the right components than spend a lot of money on components I don't need. Remember a penny saved is a penny earned. Plus with the money you'll save on purchasing the RIGHT components you can use towards your next mod.

Like I said my Tanabe NF210's are beautiful. They drop the car an inch in the front and .6 inches in the rear. The ride is 5% stiffer than stock. There's no bounce, I can barely get one finger between the fender gap, I can't get two fingers between the gap in the rear. They don't sag when I have rear passengers. They're a quality product. And the compliments I get never stop. In short money well spent.

I really appreciate this response. I JUST bought my lowering springs this morning, and can't wait to get them on. Hotchkis btw. I got to ride in a car that had them installed just the other day, and it was FANTASTIC. It was exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to get D-Specs for adjustable ride quality. That will happen soon.

I daily drive my car, at least 30 miles, 7 days a week, and I need some comfort. We have HORRIBLE roads here in Dallas, so I don't want to slam it. When I have a little bit more dough and have a straight weekend warrior car, I'll slam it and track it. For now, I just wanted something that will give me a more aggressive look, and improve the handling.

I have 25mm spacers in the back, and will be putting 15 mm's on the front here soon(OEM 19's). That plus the drop will give me the exact look I've been wanting, and shouldn't break my back when I hit a pothole.

I'll be getting a Camber kit if needed... We'll see. I've heard mixed reviews about the Hotchkis springs needing them.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Thumbs up Camber kits

Since my drop is a mild one, no camber kit was needed. However I did roll the rear fenders and get a good alignment. All went well. My car continues to keep me smiling daily. A lot of research and the right parts make all the difference.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:42 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

The reason is because suspension is not as simple as most people think. The short version is that the proper damping curve exists as a function to the spring rate. So (good) coilover systems (ie kw, bilstein) work because the the dampers and springs are matched, independent of ride height. If you buy it piecemeal, unless they end up being a good combo you are likely going to end up underdamped or overdamped.

By the way, your tanabe NF210's are 5% softer than stock. Combined with a drop that means your wheels are probably bottoming out all the time and you just don't know it. Because of the bump stops, you might not be noticing when a wheel is bottoming out.

Lowering your car with springs i would say is probably form over function. If that is your thing, then go ahead, just don't think it is improving your performance. I was just answering the question for smartest, not simplest or cheapest.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo
The reason is because suspension is not as simple as most people think. The short version is that the proper damping curve exists as a function to the spring rate. So (good) coilover systems (ie kw, bilstein) work because the the dampers and springs are matched, independent of ride height. If you buy it piecemeal, unless they end up being a good combo you are likely going to end up underdamped or overdamped.

By the way, your tanabe NF210's are 5% softer than stock. Combined with a drop that means your wheels are probably bottoming out all the time and you just don't know it. Because of the bump stops, you might not be noticing when a wheel is bottoming out.

Lowering your car with springs i would say is probably form over function. If that is your thing, then go ahead, just don't think it is improving your performance. I was just answering the question for smartest, not simplest or cheapest.
+1 on this. I have personal experience with various combinations on this chassis. Avoid springs at all costs unless you are going with a custom built setup.

Buy some blown or used coilovers (C8, Megan, Ebay, ETC..) Send them to Feal suspension and have them re-valved to match the spring. You can also upgrade springs and have them valved for the ride you are looking for.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:07 AM
Anyone have or know much about Tein S techs?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:08 AM
Bumpity bump

Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Since my drop is a mild one, no camber kit was needed. However I did roll the rear fenders and get a good alignment. All went well. My car continues to keep me smiling daily. A lot of research and the right parts make all the difference.
Do you know how close to specs your alignment was after the drop? I have a set of swift springs that I am going to install and the drop is the same 1" front and .6" rear.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by PLENUMCOUPE
BS. u need good springs that want break sag and actually be the advertised spring rate, have the ends cut properly so they seat correctly.

Originally Posted by Shawno72
Do you know how close to specs your alignment was after the drop? I have a set of swift springs that I am going to install and the drop is the same 1" front and .6" rear.
U will most likely end up at -1.5 Up front.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by JKL1031
U will most likely end up at -1.5 Up front.
-1.5 doesn't sounds to bad. Will that cause excessive tire wear?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
Nope. The rear's nominal is -1.4. But it depends on how hard u drive and how worn ur components are. I'm at 7k so far still looking good. My RS is -2 LS -1.5.

The following users liked this post:
Shawno72 (02-03-2014)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering springs