Brake lights out and stuck in park cannot fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake lights out and stuck in park cannot fix

I hopped into my car to go for a drive and it would not switch out of park so I used the shift interlock key to get me home. Through further investigation, I realized the taillights were not working when I depressed the pedal either. The abs vdc and slip lights had already been on the dash for some time and had the same problem with these three lights on and off for the past year so I didn't think too much about this.
The first thing I checked was all of the fuses, all were in working order next I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it is sufficiently filled. So after reading into the issue more, I installed a new brake light switch as per the forums suggestions and this still did not fix the problem. I then went to the trunk my car and inspected the loom that is in between the trunk and car itself and cut it open. All wires were damaged but only 2 of them were actually severed completely. I reattached and this seemed to change the way the dashboard lights were showing up. Before the abs slip and vdc were always on but now when the car turns on the lights aren't there however when I depress brake to lowest point the lights all show up again.
If anyone has any suggestions on where I should go from here please let me know!

Old 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Check your brake fluid level, sounds like it's low and that's why you get the VDC/SLIP lights but only when the pedal is completely depressed (watch the fluid level while someone else depresses the brakes).

Verify that your brake lights are indeed working when you press the pedal, the shift lock relay needs to see the switch operated to function. There is also a physical cable running from the ignition switch to the interlock device. There are also TWO 10amp fuses, one for the brakes, one for the relay, both need to be working for the relay to actuate. My guess is since you had a bunch of pinched/severed wires that you blew a fuse which is preventing the relay from working.

I strongly recommend not putting problems off on these cars or they will snowball into a major cluster****, it's a decade year old vehicle so expect repairs but fix them QUICKLY so you aren't dealing with multiple issues from separate systems.