Sway Bar Summary!

Old 09-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I ordered my Stillens. Hopefully I'll be able to have them installed and I can have a bit of fun before the snow falls here in the Great White North!

BTW, does 350EVO still offer the bars. No longer on their site from what I can see. Attempts at contacting them have proven futile, and they haven't e-mailed me back after a week. I'm not impressed.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put on my Hotchkis sways this weekend. After some deliberation, I think I'm gonna go ahead and order some McMasters collars. I found it interesting that they offer the collars in quite a few different materials too. Steel, Zinc-Plated Steel, Chrome-Plated Steel, Stainless Steel, and Aluminum.

~What would hold up better to corrosion, between Chrome-Plated Steel & Aluminum?

~Where's the cheapest place to get them? Would it be just directly from their website then?

Old 09-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Aluminum would not have corrosion problems and would be lighter than steel. Of the other ones, the best corrosion resistance is chrome-plated > stainless (but if they salt the roads it could get corroded) > zinc-plated (galvanized) > plain/mild steel

Old 09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Are you sure? I would think it would go in the order of: Stainless Steel > Chrome Plated > Aluminum > Zinc Plated > Steel ?

Old 09-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Are you sure? I would think it would go in the order of: Stainless Steel > Chrome Plated > Aluminum > Zinc Plated > Steel ?
that's true, but if you buy the sleeves from mcmaster.com, stainless steel will cost twice as much as aluminum.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:10 AM
Aluminum is corrosion resistant because it forms an oxide coating on the surface, effectively sealing it. pitting on the surface of any of these materials, ie, due to rocks hitting them, can accelerate corrosion. I would still go w/ the AL ones because of reduced weight. You don't even need those big collars actually. You could probably get away with using heavy-duty worm-drive tube clamps or something similar.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
You could probably get away with using heavy-duty worm-drive tube clamps or something similar.
that is an excellent idea! definitely an option. although i would be very careful with what i choose - those clamps can have sharp edges and could damage the bushings over time. they'd have to be pretty thick clamps for me to use them in such application.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Money well spent, for peace of mind. Since I AutoX and plan to track the car, I

Looks like the most cost-effective option for McMaster's collars that would resist corrosion, would be Aluminum #6436K141 for the front, and Chrome-Plated Steel #3370K33 for the rear. That's what I went with. $30.12 + s/h.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 PM
No one have Nismo sways?

Old 09-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts
I spoke with an Infiniti service tech today and he said they have seen high mileage G's with Stillen sways that have worn mount brackets (I'm not sure exactly what area he was referring to) - he said the OEM are beefier now because of the number being replaced. I'm not referring to the bushing bracket, something on the ends that are mounted on the sides. Does anyone know what this is (or experienced being worn and replaced)?

Old 09-30-2005, 01:13 AM
The endlinks. I'll prob order up some '05+ endlinks...

Old 09-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
The endlinks. I'll prob order up some '05+ endlinks...
have you experienced them wearing? Is it necessary to install the new ones at time of sway bar or wait till they wear? How many miles are the stock end links getting with after market sways?

Old 10-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OCG35
I spoke with an Infiniti service tech today and he said they have seen high mileage G's with Stillen sways that have worn mount brackets (I'm not sure exactly what area he was referring to) - he said the OEM are beefier now because of the number being replaced. I'm not referring to the bushing bracket, something on the ends that are mounted on the sides. Does anyone know what this is (or experienced being worn and replaced)?
Bumping for info on this too, my G has almost 76k miles and I am contemplating getting the Stillen Sways, is the tech reffering to the rubber bushings?

-Mark

Old 10-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by mr_ecktid
Bumping for info on this too, my G has almost 76k miles and I am contemplating getting the Stillen Sways, is the tech reffering to the rubber bushings?

-Mark
No, itís the end links (poster above is correct). Apparently Infiniti identified them as an issue and are now replacing with beefier (there is a thread that mentions this in the racing forum as well - it jives with what the Infiniti tech I spoke with said). It seems that higher mileage after market sways are causing end links to wear and make noise. I guess the '05 is beefier and that's what they are replacing pre-05's with.

I just got off the phone with DaveO discussing this... I'm going to pick up replacements in a couple of weeks (I donít have any real issues now, but figured might as well replace before it's an issue - since apparently there is a history).

Old 10-07-2005, 04:20 PM
OCG35, how much are the endlinks?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Summary!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: