Stillen Rear Camber Arms + 350EVO Front A-Arms installed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Rear Camber Arms + 350EVO Front A-Arms installed...

So I FINALLY installed my Stillen Rear Camber Arms and 350EVO A-Arms today... pretty much took me a good 6 hours. I took my time and lagged since it was Sunday and I was feeling REALLY lazy. They have been sitting under my desk for WAY too long so I got up the urge to put them in.

The rears were a bee-hotch since the guy from Motorsport Techniques OVERTIGHTENED the outer bolts. I broke a breaker bar and almost broke my torque wrench. I finally got an angle where I used my jack and a closed end wrench... almost snapped that too! I started getting impatient with trying to get the holes lined up in order to get the bolts thru so I started pounding away with my hammer. Finally got them in and eyeballed the length by placing my stock one over the Stillen just so it could be driven to the alignment shop tomorrow. The fronts were EASY... REALLY REALLY EASY. Just time consuming because you have to remove the three top strut mount bolts, lower strut mount bolt and sway bar end links... in order to get to the A-arm bolts. So the fronts took about 2 hours and the rears took about 4 when it should've only taken 2 as well. Of course I took a lot of breaks to chat with neighbors and smoked a few cigs.

Off to the alignment shop tomorrow... thinking of going to Custom Alignment. They want 240 for a 4-wheel alignment but I was disappointed by the 80-100 shops. They had either kids working or some old *** equipment. I don't want stripped bolts, loose bolts, scrathed rims and dented fenders.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 AM
keep us updated on how it goes.

PS how are the quality of the parts?

Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 AM
haze, the quality of both parts is EXCELLENT... especially the 350EVO Fronts. I am impressed with the adjustability with the 350EVO vs. Stillen or Cusco fronts. Kinetix is just cheap. Stillen and Cusco will not even bring me back to spec with a 1" drop. The four bolts that hold the adjustment plate should not be overtightened, I could see them stripping easily. The instructions say 22 ft-lbs.

The Stillen Rears are Stillen so quality is superior to the cheaper camber arms. The only thing is to be very careful with the outer coupling (silver cone shape) since it is very thin and over tightening could damage it. I took my wheels off when installing these and it was still a PITA. Leaving the wheels on would've been worse even tho the instructions say that you can leave them on.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Modded Member
Chris, go to Trust Auto in San Bruno. I had my car aligned there on their brand new top of the line Hunter machine. They did an excellent job, were able to get my slammed car on and off the lift without problems, didn't scratch my wheels, were able to give me the custom alignment settings I wanted, and most importantly let me stand under the car with them watching and directing the whole process.

For the level of professionalism, I would have gladly paid $200. However, it was only $80.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:06 PM
I called AUTO INNOVATIONS this morning in Milpitas. They said 100-120 and I have an appointment today at 3:00 PM. I guess they do a lot of Z's, G's and WRX's.

Thanks Boris,

I tried calling TRUST AUTO and they said $120 since I have adjustable camber kits front and rear but it would have to be tomorrow. I have to get it done today so off to Milpitas I go... in the rain.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by Disco_Monkey
I called AUTO INNOVATIONS this morning in Milpitas. They said 100-120 and I have an appointment today at 3:00 PM. I guess they do a lot of Z's, G's and WRX's.

Thanks Boris,

I tried calling TRUST AUTO and they said $120 since I have adjustable camber kits front and rear but it would have to be tomorrow. I have to get it done today so off to Milpitas I go... in the rain.
I was going to do it at Auto Innovations, but they cancelled my appointment and told me they were overbooked when I showed up after I drove a fvcking hour to get there. I was so heated, and I will never recommend anybody go there!

In any case, good luck with your alignment...

Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Okay so I had my alignment completed at autoinnovations. They were very professional and took their time unlike some other places I went to. They also had the Hunter machine... I want one! =P

My current specs are:
Front:
Camber
Left -0.6 Right -0.8
Caster
Left 8.4 Right 7.8
Toe
Left 0.02 Right 0.03

Rear
Camber
Left -1.6 Right -1.6
Toe
Left 0.05 Right 0.05

They got my rears aligned evenly pretty damn close to what I had requested. My fronts are close to what I requested too but... for some reason he could not get my front to be perfectly even. He said it was not possible. I wonder if it's because I hit a pothole or something??? It drives straight and he did spend quite some time on it. If feels good the way it is. A whole lot better in the front.

My numbers before were off by exactly the same amounts for the front caster and camber difference... always 0.2 degrees difference in camber and 0.6 degrees in caster.

Is my car just imperfect out of the factory? Can this be caused by hitting a pothole?

Last edited by Disco_Monkey; 01-30-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by Disco_Monkey
Okay so I had my alignment completed at autoinnovations. They were very professional and took their time unlike some other places I went to. They also had the Hunter machine... I want one! =P

My current specs are:
Front:
Camber
Left -0.6 Right -0.8
Caster
Left 8.4 Right 7.8
Toe
Left 0.02 Right 0.03

Rear
Camber
Left -1.6 Right -1.6
Toe
Left 0.05 Right 0.05

They got my rears aligned evenly pretty damn close to what I had requested. My fronts are close to what I requested too but... for some reason he could not get my front to be perfectly even. He said it was not possible. I wonder if it's because I hit a pothole or something??? It drives straight and he did spend quite some time on it. If feels good the way it is. A whole lot better in the front.

My numbers before were off by exactly the same amounts for the front caster and camber difference... always 0.2 degrees difference in camber and 0.6 degrees in caster.

Is my car just imperfect out of the factory? Can this be caused by hitting a pothole?
I don't know why they wouldn't be able to get it even with your A-arms. I was able to get my front/rear perfectly even without adjustable/aftermarket a-arms/camber, but I went to Trust Auto.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:17 PM
I've been told by an expert in the field that all of our cars, well maybe except ferrari and lambos that there are always slight variations and imprefections in all parts of the car including the frame and subframe and such, therefore it is normal to have differential between left and right camber.

I have it on my g as well.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Even without my A-Arms it was off by exactly the same amounts. I think it's just my car because the A-Arm adjustment couldn't fix caster because the adjusment plate slides and cannot rotate.