G35 Front Strut Tower brace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Just my IMHO, the long arms this bar sets it up for flex. Just my IMHO.

The RA brace isn't a 1 pc. It's a bunch of pieces. I'd only consider the circuit sports unit a 1 pc.

BTW I have the richie one also.
Uhm, Scott's strut brace is 3 pieces welded together. By your logic below, that makes it a 1 piece design.

It's welded together. Welding 2 pcs together = 1 pc.

For stiffness, I think alumin is okay if you use the right shape. An aluminum tube would be stiffer than a flat shet of steel. Given they are relatively similar in size etc.

*I was wrong. The strut brace posted in this thread is in fact 3 pieces bolted together.

Last edited by Calvin; 05-12-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
Uhm, Scott's strut brace is 3 pieces welded together. By your logic below, that makes it a 1 piece design.
LOL PWNED!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Actually, I take that back, the RA bar posted above is 3 pieces bolted together, but I have seen ones that are 1 piece, how many versions are there?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Is RA = VRT? If not, my fault. If so, then what are those bolts/nuts doing in there?

But my initial problem with this bar wasn't the 1pc/3pc design. It was the length of each support bar. Also look at the tabs that the support bars use to attach it to the car. Doesn't one of the supports attach to the strut tower sheet metal?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
FYI is the AAM one:

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5...Code=350Z_SUSP
Scott's one is way better IMO
Where does it say this will fit the G35?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by redlude97
Actually, I take that back, the RA bar posted above is 3 pieces bolted together, but I have seen ones that are 1 piece, how many versions are there?
There are three different versions due to clearance issues with different setups. For example, the first bar would not fit with the Stillen s/c so Scott fabricated one to fit it.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Overglorified Altima
I have also seen one piece designs from Scott. Or so I thought.

He does offer a 3 piece design.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
LOL PWNED!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM
I have now been pwned

Old 05-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Overglorified Altima
Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
for shi1s and giggles.. yes you can polish chromeoly

Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The RA/VRT strut bar is 3 pieces. There's no doubt it stiffens up the front end, but fitment with other parts is a bit more of a pain in the *** compared to the design of other bars because of the design of the 3 point mount. Also, because the chromemoly is so incredibly strong, and each one is handmade, if its not a perfect fit, it can be a nightmare to install and remove. On each occasion, its taken 3 mechanics to reinstall the bar and muscle it into place because the clearance tolerances are so tight.

Don't get me wrong, I still think its an effective option, but I'm going to explore some alternatives just to see what offers the best compromise of functionality, price and ease of installation/removal. If I don't find a better alternative, I'll eventually reinstall my bar and after machining it down a hair for better fitment.

Last edited by helldorado; 05-12-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
everything hero and redlude has said is incorrect. The main flaw with typical strut bar design for the G35 and Z33 is that because these cars qualify as midship cars (the engine sits further back than the front axels), the front flexes in multiple (additional) points. The vrt bar takes care of the additional forward flex points on the g35 as well as the conventional flex points. Altered atmosphere has just put out a strut bar that accomplishes this, but it utilizes an additional front strut bar (you have to have 2 front strut bars).

and for the original question holder, this bar is no longer in production but there may be a limited number of these bars made again under relentless autosports since this was Scott's design, and VRT has been shut down.
By what method are you determining the car's flex points?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Not to be difficult or anything, but,.....

The VRT bar is a design compromise because of a difficult installation enviroment. Given that I don't see the bar as passing a critical anyasis by any engineer (see conversation below) that doesn't have a vested profit motive or get's parinoid that anyone is ignoring the degree hanging on the wall, I don't see any review holding much weight, however well intented or thought out and without any intention's of offending ANYONE, something I don't have a desire to do. I'll point out that pretty much every single coilover install tends to receive good reviews no matter the brand. How it "feels" doesn't carry any weight for me, only thing that would remotely get me interested is seeing the bars mounting legs on a test jig that measures how well it can resist force and not flex.

Originally Posted by Resolute
James,
Happy to give my .02 on this. I think you already have this figured out, but the design is flawed for the purpose of reducing chassis flex and improving load transfer between the front suspension members. At CSU there is a chassis regidity tester that is used in conjunction with their prototype racer designs for the Motorsport Engineering program. One of the things considered for GT class cars was the obligatory strut tower bar that has become very common in production units. As I'm sure you know, three fixed members are ideal, with two members extending either fore or aft to the bulkhead, depending on the configuration. The mitsu EVO has a good design for this. However, in an ideal situation for controlling lateral loads, the engine would also become a stressed member of the chassis. Aside from this, the strut bar is very limited in its benefit. in fact, reinforcing the front bulkhead with additional welds and bracing around the engine is the next best plan. Opera Performance executed this on its 350Z and so did NISMO with the GT-R Z-tune. The strut bar to be effective at all should be fixed in position, and not able to flex or move in any plane. This design you posted, like a lot of aftermarket bars, violates this rule. You can see the center bar is not attached to the ends in a fixed location, but by a bolt that allows motion around it. Plus, the odd mounting points offer little improvement- if any. The strut bar is nice to prevent flex in the damper/spring mounting area, and load transfer can be assisted via this bar. However, it is really only as effective as the rigidity of the lower suspension members that control wheel motion. If the lower members are not rigid enough to compliment the bar, then energy is wasted. Hence making the engine a stressed component is the ideal as it offers a simple way to tie the lower members together in a similiar fashion as the strut bar does for the upper members and damper/spring mount.
Long answer, but nothing is ever simple in my mind and I like to try and cover all the bases and answer possible questions before they come up. This tends to make more questions though, so let me know if there are any. I would not buy the bar, and I think you have the same reservations I wrote of. Take care,
Will
I do not own any G35 specific STB for a reason.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what are some comparative strut bars? Circuit sports looks great but there is no coilover damper adjuster clearance.

The Carbing bar doesn't fit on the G35... =/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Front Strut Tower brace