Buying, Selling & Leasing Discussion Interested in getting a G35? Ask your questions here! (No Classified Posts)

End of Lease Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
End of Lease Advice

So I leased a G25 Journey 3 years ago this October and my lease is coming to an end in January of 2014 (this was a 39-month lease). Of course the car has been discontinued in the US and the value of the car is way below what the residual will be at the end of the lease. Also I am currently getting close to being about 5000 miles over the limit. When I leased the car I traded in an 05 G35 and was about $4500 negative which got rolled into the lease.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or suggestions on negotiating with Infiniti near end of their lease. Right now the car with it's current mileage is worth about 21k and residual was set at 26k. I'm thinking by the end of my lease the car will be worth 18-19k. We've had some financial changes in the household and as such I would need for my current payment to drop as soon as possible (like the sooner the better). In your opinion would I be better off:

1) Attempting to negotiate buying the vehicle from IFS for close to the value of the car at the end of the lease

2) Trying to pay the lease off a couple of months early - the negative equity of the previous car would be completely gone once the lease is paid

3) Attempt to trade the car in early trying to take advantage of any incentives and taking a slight hit now as opposed to being faced with having to pay when the car is turned in

As a side note I do still like my G25 even though I know it wasn't very popular so I'd be find with keeping it if I could get a decent price at the end of the lease. But with the Q50 coming out I figured that dealers would be more eager right now to start clearing out their 37s to have space for the new model which would get me a newer vehicle - the problem with the latter though is that buying a still $40000 car wouldn't do much to lower my car payment at all. I'd rather not do another lease as Georgia has only partially fixed ad-velorum for leased vehicles.

Thoughts? Ideas? Chuckles?

Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Trade in your car for a new '13 G37 they have a great lease going right now. One thing about over mileage is that not everyone knows how this thing works. Over mileage is irrelevant when your trading in your car. Let me tell you why. One, if you are turning in your car at end of lease and are over mileage and will not be getting a replacement then YOU WILL PAY simple as that.

If you trade in your car before your lease ends say 4 - 6 months before, the dealer will have to payoff your car in order to get your trade. This will make the over mileage irrelevant cus the car at this point is already paid off. The original bank who finance your car won't care about the excess miles cus they got the money from the dealer when they paid it off. If the dealer is CHARGING YOU for the excess and depreciation then they are screwing you.

The determining factor of the your deal is the condition that your car is in at time of trade. You will take a hit from depreciation already they will have to take into account the excess mileage. Don't let them charge you depreciation plus mileage cus you will be royally screwed if you let them do it to you. Does it make sense? Do you understand what I am telling you? It can get confusing but it is a trick that dealers do all the time. My sister in law was screwed over like this before until I told her what to do in her next lease.

Trade in your car before the end of the lease with minimum down you can lease a G37S right now for less than Accord or a Camry. If you have 2k to put for total drive off you can be driving a new Inifiniti and start fresh. The prospect of getting the new Q50 is great but remember this is a new body model Inifiniti so the lease option might not be that great. You can always try and see what kind of deal you can get for the Q50 but my suggestion is get the new '13 G37 while the lease offer is awesome.

I have a '12 G37S on an 18 month lease @ $277.39 a month my lease will end at the same time as yours. I did reserve a Q50 Sport with all the bells and whistles that is coming out in July according to them. But then again I don't have excess mileage on my car.

Good luck on your decision hope you get what you are looking for and that I was able to shed some info your way to help you out.

Last edited by glennp_1999; 06-24-2013 at 03:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by glennp_1999:
Ionic (06-23-2013), Jayce75 (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks! That's really great advice! I'm glad I asked! My payment on my G25 is double that of your 37s so you can imagine why I would want mine to go down.

I have a call into the dealership that I have my current lease through and have already received an e-mail from the sales manager that they've received my request. They have a zero down and zero security deposit on 24 month G37 leases at 10K miles right now with the first month's payment due at signing so we'll see if I even qualify for that.

I checked the web and found this so hopefully it'll help me out:

2013 INFINITI G SEDAN
Marketing Support: $3,500 (Start: Jun 01, 2013 End: Jul 01, 2013) Dealer Cash is available towards leasing or retail purchases. May NOT be combined with special APR or Lease financing through Infiniti Financial Services, but may be combined on non-IFS 3rd Party leases.

Marketing Support: $2,500 (Start: Jun 01, 2013 End: Jul 01, 2013) IFS Lease Dealer Cash is available towards leasing. Must finance through Infiniti Financial Services.

Marketing Support: $1,000 (Start: Jun 01, 2013 End: Jul 01, 2013) Owner Loyalty Dealer Cash is available towards leasing to current Infiniti owners or lessees. Customer must own/lease current vehicle within 90 days of program commencement. May be combined with other offers, excluding Conquest program. Trade-in is not required. Offer is transferable to persons residing in the same household, or from business to business owner. Must finance through Infiniti Financial Services.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Nice! Take advantage of this offer I tell you they are throwing the '13 G37 away almost for free lol! Almost.... Good luck again hope you get the car you want and please post pics when you do get it.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Oh my god I am still in SHOCK!! I was in and out of Infiniti this afternoon in less than an hour and half with a brand new black 2013 G37 Journey Premium Package for $57 a month less than the lease payment on my 2011 G25! WTF???

I was sitting at my desk this morning debating whether or not to call them then my cell phone rings. It's one of the salesmen that I talked to a couple of years ago there while I was waiting on my current car to be serviced who had been promoted to Fleet Sales Manager last year.

He said "Remember when I told you I'd call you as soon as I had something for you? Well it's that time. I see you have right at 6 months left to the day on your G25 - it's time for you to go to a new G37 Premium Package so I can lower your lease payment a little over 50 bucks. You qualify for our Pull-ahead program so I"m going to give you 3 months of payments and Infiniti will forgive the other 3 months if you do a new lease with them."

When I asked about the excess mileage he said "We're going to take care of that for you with Infiniti on our end when you turn in the car as part of the deal. Along with the program you've got $1000 in loyalty cash which we'll use as the downpayment and all that's due today is your first month's payment."

I explained to him that I couldn't do anything until payday since I just paid this month's lease payment. He said he'd call me back in 10 minutes. 5 minutes later my phone rang again "You made your payment less than 10 days ago. We're going to go ahead and make your first payment on the new 37 for you so you won't have to make a payment until July 24th. All I need from you today is for you to bring the G25 down here, pick out your G37, and sign your paperwork. After that we trade keys and you're on your way."

Both my wife and I were waiting for the "but" or the "oh wait" especially after I was at the dealership - but that never happened. Everything happened just the way he said. My wife was more in shock than I was - "they just basically handed you the keys to a brand new car and lowered your payment?!?!?!" - Yes - yes they did

Thanks a lot for your help! You're right - they are insane with the G37 deals right now! I was really stressing out over what I was going to do and if I was going to get screwed the closer lease-end time got. It seems like once I decided to take your advice and actually establish a plan things just fell into place. I'll put some pics up later!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 AM
Wow That's great to hear. Congrats

Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Woohoo!! Good job chief I'm glad you pulled the trigger and got a better and newer car. Nice to know that you are happy with your purchase and the important thing about it is that the wife is happy as well. Post pics when you can!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 AM
They are absolutely insane at this dealership!

They just offered to step up my 2007 G35x (which I bought there three years ago) to a brand new 2013 G37 Premium Package of my choosing for the same payment I have now with the credit union! My G35 has 76693 miles on it and needs some work (front brakes, brake flush, transmission service, radiator flushed, air and cabin filters changed and is due for an oil change in another 200 miles) - easily $600+ on top of making the monthly car payment. Plus the 3-year extended warranty they gave me with the car expired on the 24th.

So they're telling me I can trade this in on a lease for the same car payment, not have to pay to have anything serviced for a while, first oil change free (although I'll negotiate at least four since it doesn't really cost them anything), 3 months of Sirius/XM (though I'll ask for at least six months), have a better sound system with bluetooth, and be out of it way before the factory warranty is up. On top of that I won't have to do emissions ($25) or come up with ad-velorum around my birthday which was $245 last year. All that's due is the first month's payment which, coincidentally, I would be making on the G35 on Friday anyway.

What is going on around here?!?!? Am I seriously about to get another G37?!?!?!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:17 PM
2014 Q50 is coming out so they are getting rid of the 2013 year model to make room. They are giving insane short term lease so that in a few years you can upgrade to the new Q50. My lease is only 18 months and I already reserved a Q50 sport when it comes out in July. For me it will all depend if I'm even going to like the new Q50. If not then I can always just wait for my lease to end and just get a totally different car.